Attila on football league podcast

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mikes smalls

Dec 13, 2006
Isleworth
Just listened to the latest football league podcast with Clem featuring Attila talking about music played after goals and making some good points about the sanitisation of football crowds.
Apparently Crewe fans have started their own Ultra group in an attempt to improve the atmosphere.
Any further news on our Ultras for falmer?

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
I've said it before but 'ultras' is the wrong term, modern football has moved on, this ain't Serie A.

tomysupercup

North Stand Kollective
Sep 17, 2004
NORTH STAND
I've said it before but 'ultras' is the wrong term, modern football has moved on, this ain't Serie A.

The very fact that 'modern football' has moved on to where it is now makes the Ultra concept even more relevant.

True fans having their own space, and most importantly their own identity, free from the corporate image that sky and in some case the clubs would like to project.

ultrā meaning "beyond" in English. Whats so wrong with going beyond in terms of our support. Surely we want Falmer to be the best grounds in the country for noise and colour. Maybe thats just me?

http://www.armatablucerchiata.net/foto_samp-milan_18-9-05_56.jpg

And equally even if this isnt your cup of tea, why feel the need to be verbally negative? Ultimately our objective is to improve the atmosphere. Is that so bad?

Having been to many games in Italy and Spain and been part of their Ultra movements I see no reason why such a concept is viewed so negativly.

I'm excited by the opportunity we have.

NSK BHA
:albion2:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
True fans having their own space, and most importantly their own identity, free from the corporate image that sky and in some case the clubs would like to project.

My 2 sons sit with me in the family stand. They have Albion shirts with the FL badge and their names on the back (well - actually my 11 year old has 'Seagulls 4 Ever' printed on this season's kit).

They're well spoken, frightfully middle-class and they absolutely adore BHA. So much so that they actually enjoy sitting in that crappy temporary stand getting rained on in the winter, baked in the summer and when the sun drops the glare is awful but they go with me because they love it. Withdean is all they have known.

I'd say my 2 boys are as true Albion fans as you can get. We don't care about your class struggle and we don't care about some anarchist German co-operative football non-entity. We care about the Albion.

There's room for all sorts of fans and if you want your terracing back then good for you but please cease the lectures about you being the true fans and don't presume to speak for all of us.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Just listened to the latest football league podcast with Clem featuring Attila talking about music played after goals and making some good points about the sanitisation of football crowds....

Do you have a link, please?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh fantastic care in the community is now lecturing us on how we should watch football and support a team because they say so.

sammy g

My 2 sons sit with me in the family stand. They have Albion shirts with the FL badge and their names on the back (well - actually my 11 year old has 'Seagulls 4 Ever' printed on this season's kit).

They're well spoken, frightfully middle-class and they absolutely adore BHA. So much so that they actually enjoy sitting in that crappy temporary stand getting rained on in the winter, baked in the summer and when the sun drops the glare is awful but they go with me because they love it. Withdean is all they have known.

I'd say my 2 boys are as true Albion fans as you can get. We don't care about your class struggle and we don't care about some anarchist German co-operative football non-entity. We care about the Albion.

There's room for all sorts of fans and if you want your terracing back then good for you but please cease the lectures about you being the true fans and don't presume to speak for all of us.

I think your reading quite a lot into the previous post. Particulalrly around class struggle! I think the point he is trying to make is that fans have the right to be independent from the clubs corporate strategy and have their own individuality.
I quite agree football today should be classless and everyone welcome, as long as they support the club and are prepared to help create an atmosphere.
I think it is really important that the atmosphere around the ground is looked at now. As standing is now not an option, creating a good atmosphere can no longer be considered a given.
Looking at how other clubs are succeeding or failing, I think is a good idea. We don't want a Madeski type identikit stadium with no atmosphere. So if we call it an Ultra movement or independent fans making a racket doesn't matter, as long as we do make a racket!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think your reading quite a lot into the previous post. Particulalrly around class struggle! I think the point he is trying to make is that fans have the right to be independent from the clubs corporate strategy and have their own individuality.
I quite agree football today should be classless and everyone welcome, as long as they support the club and are prepared to help create an atmosphere.
I think it is really important that the atmosphere around the ground is looked at now. As standing is now not an option, creating a good atmosphere can no longer be considered a given.
Looking at how other clubs are succeeding or failing, I think is a good idea. We don't want a Madeski type identikit stadium with no atmosphere. So if we call it an Ultra movement or independent fans making a racket doesn't matter, as long as we do make a racket!

Not really just we are being lectured on how we should support the team and the fact in some people's opinions there is only one way.

And don't start about terraces as it will never happen for good reasons.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

Nope. It's the reference to 'true fans' that irked me. As I said, there's room for all sorts of fans but I fecking hate it when politics gets dragged into football and I really hate it when people start trying to tell us who the 'true fans' are, as if (for instance) my 2 boys and I are not 'true fans'.

By all means campaign for your terracing but don't start referring to yourselves as the only 'true fans' and don't presume to speak for all 'true fans' either.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Maybe a link to either Red Wedge, Militant or a Billy Bragg song will smoke out what this crap is about.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
...long as they support the club and are prepared to help create an atmosphere.

Sorry, just noticed this. Once again we've got presumptions about who can and can't go to football matches. Now don't get me wrong, I love the cheering and the chanting and the going mental when we win in the last minute to go top but why should people HAVE TO help create an atmosphere?

All of us support the Albion in our own way. What's right for you doesn't make it right for everyone else.

sammy g

Nope. It's the reference to 'true fans' that irked me. As I said, there's room for all sorts of fans but I fecking hate it when politics gets dragged into football and I really hate it when people start trying to tell us who the 'true fans' are, as if (for instance) my 2 boys and I are not 'true fans'.

As I said, by all means campaign for your terracing but don't start referring to yourselves as the only 'true fans' and don't presume to speak for all 'true fans' either.

I have never referred to myself as the voice of "true fans" and have never presumed to talk on behalf of anyone but myself.
I do believe terracing can work and does work, although again, I wasn't really focussing on that.
What I was trying to put across was that as fans we have a great opportunity now to make sure we get the atmosphere right, and without needing to be spoon fed an atmosphere by the club as they have tried to do at Chelsea, instead we are getting bogged down in silly arguments about class that have no relevance to a good atmosphere at a football ground

tomysupercup

North Stand Kollective
Sep 17, 2004
NORTH STAND

As I said, by all means campaign for your terracing but don't start referring to yourselves as the only 'true fans' and don't presume to speak for all 'true fans' either.

I haven't mentioned politics (and certainly not any class strugle) and had no intention of doing so. I also haven't mentioned terracing, although I would support its re-introduction at English football.

I apologise if my post suggested that you and your sons are not true fans. This wasnt its intention.

There is room for all sorts of fans, I agree.

I am not lecturing anyone on how they should support the Albion, merly saying that I am exciting by the prospect of having our own 'end' again, with pletny of noise and colour. I want to make that special but I'm telling anyone else that they have to be involved in that, merly talking about it.

As another poster has pointed out I certainly dont want Falmer to turn into a

"Madeski type identikit stadium with no atmosphere. So if we call it an Ultra movement or independent fans making a racket doesn't matter, as long as we do make a racket!"

Anyway off to Tranmere.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I have never referred to myself as the voice of "true fans" and have never presumed to talk on behalf of anyone but myself.
I do believe terracing can work and does work, although again, I wasn't really focussing on that.
What I was trying to put across was that as fans we have a great opportunity now to make sure we get the atmosphere right, and without needing to be spoon fed an atmosphere by the club as they have tried to do at Chelsea, instead we are getting bogged down in silly arguments about class that have no relevance to a good atmosphere at a football ground

I agree with everything you say. The reference to true fans was in response to the comments from a previous poster. For the record, I'd love to see terracing back.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
What I was trying to put across was that as fans we have a great opportunity now to make sure we get the atmosphere right, and without needing to be spoon fed an atmosphere by the club as they have tried to do at Chelsea,

In what way have they tried to spoon feed an atmosphere at Chelsea?

sammy g

In what way have they tried to spoon feed an atmosphere at Chelsea?

Well, If I am honest I don't go to Chelsea or premiership grounds at all. But my understanding is that they provide silly plastic flags for big euro nights in an attempt to create a kop type ( 70's and 80's kop of course) atmosphere. There is nothing inherently wrong in that of course but I think when clubs control every aspect of the club including the fans a good atmosphere will never be created. If you look at clubs with a tradition of good noise levels etc. It has never been created by the club, but by the fans of that club who, independent of the club and sometimes against the wishes of the club hierarchy are responsible for the noise, colour etc.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Your right in that they give away flags or scarves in the early rounds of the champions league but then again the Albion had a scarf day at Withdean a couple of seasons ago as well, The only difference was the Albion charged fans for the scarves. Apart from that on the occasions I've been to Stamford Bridge with my nipper I've never seen them do anything different to what you'd expect at any ground on a match day.

tomysupercup

North Stand Kollective
Sep 17, 2004
NORTH STAND
I agree with everything you say. The reference to true fans was in response to the comments from a previous poster. For the record, I'd love to see terracing back.

On reflection, my use of the term "true fans" was inappropriate.

The poster who described himself sat in the family stand is clearly as much of a "true fan" as any of us.

Post updated to reflect this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports