Attendances on the slide?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
I've been reading some articles in the Times over the past couple of days that highlight the fall in crowd numbers at Premiership and Championship games. Premiership crowds have gone down by a couple of thousand and some Championship clubs have had very big drop-offs in support.

Last Saturdays game against Leeds got a crowd of 21,212. When we played them in January the attendance was 27,033. Is this a direct result of the price hikes that Ken Bates has put in place up there? I know our away tickets were 20 quid as opposed to 19 last season. Someone pointed out that Cardiff appear to be 5,000 supporters down at the moment. That's a serious problem for them because they have to average crowds of 13-14,000 to service their debts and pay for their new players. I think Plymouth are about 4,000 supporters down from last season.

Can these be attributed to poor performances, ticket prices or some other reason? Millwall crowds have dropped by about 6,000 from last season, how much of that drop can be attributed to the general air of depression around the New Den? At the start of the season the League, and Coca-Cola, were busy trumpeting the highest crowd levels in decades at this level. Now they're starting to drop dramatically.

We're struggling to shift all our tickets for the Palace game. At 30 quid a pop for adults is anyone surprised. 30 notes to gain entry to an ageing shed, poor view, hostile treatment by Police and, unfourtunately, a probable defeat. For people with other priorities, such as their family, it's a hell of a whack to the finances. Expect the same when we play Southampton, because I think we're on 30 quid a ticket there.

Clubs have been upping prices year on year and maybe this year they've pushed some people too far. Looking at ticket stubs for the 02/03 season you can see that nearly all clubs had upped their prices by a couple of quid just two seasons later. The current downturn in the retail economy doesn't stop at the high-street, it affects leisure activities like football as well. This seems to be an economic lesson most chairmen are ignoring.

I'm no going to the Burnley game next week, but I thought I might take in a game somewhere. As a laugh i thought i'd check out Chelsea prices. It would cost 48 quid minimum to get in, combined with train travel it works out at around 68 quid, to go and see a one-sided game between two teams I really don't care about. I just want to watch a game of football but there's no way i'm spending that much. How much more would it be if I was taking along a kid? You'd be lucky to get change from £120 when the day was done.

I'm now toying with the idea of going to watch Brentford play Bristol City. 13 quid on the terraces, lunch and a pint by the Thames and back home on the train for around 30 quid. Or go and watch a game at Crawley, or maybe Hassocks in the FA Cup. I guess that my loyalty to Albion blinds me to the cost of going, i'd never paid attention to how much it all costs but i'm having to cutback a bit this season.

When/If we ever get a new stadium will we be affected by this drop in numbers? Will ticket prices drop or will they stay at Withdean levels? I think I already know the answer. The floating punter appears to have voted with their feet this season, the current prices are too much. When our capacity is increased later in the year we are going to have to WORK to sell tickets for the first time in ages, are the club prepared for this? We aren't exactly a bargain ourselves and sitting in the open for a match against Burnley isn't really a draw in itself. We don't want large swathes of empty seats at Withdean after we've finally got the capacity expanded.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Football and the housing market seemed to have joined each other in spiralling out of control this last decade whether it's £25m for a squad player in Michael Essien, 60k a week for one player's wages, or £240k for a house that was worth 80k 5-8 years ago, and the public are expected to keep shelling out, and to a large extent do.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I'm gonna stop watching the Albion at home and go to more Whitehawk games, that's what I'm going to do.

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
its a mixture of ticket high prices and being made to sit down at ames by over zealous stewards, l

oads of football on television,

boring games, not the albion this season I hasten to add,

and the general cost of living

Football chairman will be hoping the world cup brings a boom for the 2006/2007 season but having seen England against Norhtern Ireland perhaps they should lower prices and bring back terracing.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
they been rising year on year, at some point this trend will stop. I think the figures would still be up when compared to 5 years ago

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Dougal said:
they been rising year on year, at some point this trend will stop. I think the figures would still be up when compared to 5 years ago
Crowds have fallen slighly for the last two years according to the Times article.

Personally I think it's a combination of saturation coverage and ludicrous ticket prices.

Dandyman

In London village.
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
I'm gonna stop watching the Albion at home and go to more Whitehawk games, that's what I'm going to do.

Given up on the bitter blues, already ? :ohmy: :D

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Ex Shelton Seagull said:
As a laugh i thought i'd check out Chelsea prices. It would cost 48 quid minimum to get in…

Tell me about it. I've agreed to go with someone to see Fulham vs Man Utd next month.

It's costing me £45 - that's 50p a minute. Plus, in order to get a Man Utd ticket, you had to buy another game too – so we've ended up with tickets to Fulham vs Bolton as well.

Total damage – nearly £80. And that's before travel to London, beer and so on.

Honest to God I felt sick when he told me how much it all was. You can practically have a holiday with that these days, given cheap flights and so on.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ex Shelton Seagull said:

Expect the same when we play Southampton, because I think we're on 30 quid a ticket there.

I've a horrible feeling that Southamton may be £34! :eek:

Albion Rob

There could be light at the end of the tunnel though, my friends.

With the EU looking to deny Sky exclusive rights to the soccer there is no way in the world they will pay anything like they have in the past for the rights to cover a lot of games but knowing that many punters such as myself reckon it is worth enjoying the games that terrestrial broadcasters manage to get hold of.

I'm not very good at money or business (ask my g/f!) but surely that will mean quite a few clubs having to make some pretty dramatic cutbacks. They'll HAVE to fill stadiums with punters paying reasonable prices as gate receipts become the vital source of income they once were.

I would imagine clubs will have to take a hard look at the plastic seats grinning at them each week and start devising ways to fill them. Could even mean a return to terraces as the money men realise they can get more punters in there paying only slightly less....

I suppose we could be in for a bit of an apocolypse, sort of like Italian football, but apart from ticket prices football league clubs do seem to have tightened their belts and a lot of players are leaving the football league to go to the Premiership for decent money rather than stupid money.

Maybe we're in for a sea change quite soon.

I bloody hope so.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Re: Re: Attendances on the slide?

bhafc99 said:
Total damage – nearly £80.

You can practically have a holiday with that these days, given cheap flights and so on.

Yep, booked a mini break in Spain last night for £70 per person - 3 nights away.

Good old Easy-Jet! :clap2:

Accommodation is free, mind.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports