Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Attendance Analysis - the Amex years

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
But I thought winning wasn't important - wasn't everyone more concerned with style, attacking intent and basically much more entertainment than winning 1-0 in dire boring matches. We have had far more efforts on goal this season but still can't score and hence our league position. Yet had we won a few games 1-0 with the only shot all match, we'd be top 6 and attendances would be higher.

Funny old game!
When I say good wins I mean by 3 or 4 goals.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Graph will shown an upturn tomorrow with an attendance figure of around 25,572.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But Mark as already said early season is not the best guide. Let's wait until Christmas and then take a look.

Probably best to discount the pre-Christmas Millwall game in any stats, that'll be more of a stinker attendance-wise than the Cardiff one was, for all the same reasons and more.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Updated for last few games. Now running at 7% below first eight games last season.

Obviously these are the official attendances not the actual bums on seats which is arguably 15-20% lower this season.

Attachments

• Attendances 2012-2014.jpg
    Attendances 2012-2014.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 206

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Actual crowd through the turnstiles was 19400 against Rotherham. That's 5000 below the official. Last night when the attendance was announced as 23k, it got huge laughs. It was probably about 17k.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I'm told this season we have been averaging through the turnstiles about 4,000 below what has been announced as the "paid for attendances". I suspect this paid but not attended element was much less last season but we have no way of knowing this.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I believe the club has to give the council the actual figures and perhaps a request under Freedom of Information would reveal all.

The response on the BHCC FOI site.

"There is a requirement for the club to record the actual attendance at each match that the council can review to ensure that the numbers do not exceed the grounds certificated capacity. The council do not retain details of the actual numbers that attend football matches at the AMEX Community Stadium."

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The response on the BHCC FOI site.

"There is a requirement for the club to record the actual attendance at each match that the council can review to ensure that the numbers do not exceed the grounds certificated capacity. The council do not retain details of the actual numbers that attend football matches at the AMEX Community Stadium."

Yep seen that. They either can't be bothered or don't want to give the number out.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Yep seen that. They either can't be bothered or don't want to give the number out.

I think it's actually a correct answer. The club keep records, just in case the council ask for the information to check up on them, the club does not provide the records to the council unless asked for. The request needs to be along the lines of: "please provide the most recent attendance figure you have reviewed from the Amex"

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Away attendances have an effect as well between Wigan and Leeds on a Tuesday night has a variance of about 2,500 and thereby pushing a 24k attendance to 26½k

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
But I thought winning wasn't important - wasn't everyone more concerned with style, attacking intent and basically much more entertainment than winning 1-0 in dire boring matches. We have had far more efforts on goal this season but still can't score and hence our league position. Yet had we won a few games 1-0 with the only shot all match, we'd be top 6 and attendances would be higher.

Funny old game!

And everyone would be saying (poyet / Garcia) play such dull football. Deja Vu?

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I understand that the club produce a similar graph after every game to see if the shirts, pies and pints sales are holding up. They are only worried about these figures, as the majority of ticket sales money has already been banked.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I understand that the club produce a similar graph after every game to see if the shirts, pies and pints sales are holding up. They are only worried about these figures, as the majority of ticket sales money has already been banked.

I am sure they are. Certainly match day revenue must be reviewed.

I can't see how it won't be down on last season.

As part of the supporting papers presented with the planning application to increase the capacity of the stadium, the Club published some figures showing not only the actual attendance at matches, but the times at which ticket holders went through the turnstiles. The point of this was to demonstrate that the transport strategy was working better than had originally been anticipated, because arrivals at the stadium were being spread over a longer period than had previously been feared, thereby reducing the scale of the peakiest of the peak periods of travel.

My guess is that this data is still collected by the Club, but it's difficult to imagine any reason why they would now wish to publish it.

Frampler

Aug 25, 2011
Eastbourne

It's been noticeable this season that there's much more food in the kiosks in WSU - the stack of Chicken and Ham pie boxes last night was mountainous. It's ironic that just as the club ramps up production to respond to last season's demand, the attendance has dwindled.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton

Definitely, I was at a fans forum last season and PB said he wished all home games could be on a friday night, as surprisingly we drink loads of beer on a friday night.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Definitely, I was at a fans forum last season and PB said he wished all home games could be on a friday night, as surprisingly we drink loads of beer on a friday night.

Makes sense. I'm a big fan of Friday night football, far better than a Sunday or Monday night game.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Very much like reading stock/share price, performance indicates levels.

It appears when considering day of match, 25k appears to be our natural levels. The fluctuations could easily be caused by day, Tuesday would naturally see a lower attendance. That said, performances as of recently make us a lot less attractive to watch.

Someone give me a job in analytics .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here