Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atmosphere yesterday at Boro.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Ok, we'll stick with Albiyawn on repeat, it's about the only song everyone joins in with.

As we are now apparently expected to emulate the atmosphere in a one off winners take all last league game of the season match the nearest comparable (in size of crowd and importance of result) example this season was Derby home where all sides of the ground sang different songs and created an excellent atmosphere.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Return leg on a Monday night? No chance of a proper atmosphere.

Dec 6, 2015
Wonder what it's like at Boro for a regular home match

Obviously no where near that level and the Strachan years really affected the atmosphere a lot and then there was a strange transition as our North Stand was always our 'kop end' or new Holgate but that then changed to the south with red faction.

Other than that it's pretty much the same as a lot of grounds but for big games we can create a special atmosphere. I don't see why you couldn't create the same kind of atmosphere for the play offs. Get there early take plenty of blue and white flags and scarfs and sing your hearts out and encourage the lads on.

Hilsborough will definitely be bouncing Sheff Wed really turn up for big games.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Return leg on a Monday night? No chance of a proper atmosphere.

Any form of result in the first leg and no more red cards (for us anyway) and a chance to get to Wembley and i say a fair chance..

Obviously no where near that level and the Strachan years really affected the atmosphere a lot and then there was a strange transition as our North Stand was always our 'kop end' or new Holgate but that then changed to the south with red faction.

Other than that it's pretty much the same as a lot of grounds but for big games we can create a special atmosphere. I don't see why you couldn't create the same kind of atmosphere for the play offs. Get there early take plenty of blue and white flags and scarfs and sing your hearts out and encourage the lads on.

Hilsborough will definitely be bouncing Sheff Wed really turn up for big games.

A 60 minute fanszone should do the trick!:moo:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
No to drums (ffs), no emulating shi**y borough songs just sing our classics louder and more often (if anyone really thinks there is a problem).

Ive never been in favour of drums but after experiencing that atmosphere yesterday Im not so sure anymore. We stood next to the netting and the Boro in the corner, behind the goal and the noise was immense.The drum was only one small component and I appreciate it was a one off game, but thats what we have next week. Whatever works ! For what its worth we had no issues with Boro fans before, during or after the match. They are a passionate set of fans and I was impressed. I hope they stay up next year.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
It did not translate to TV. Only the Bruno chant before we scored.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Wish our stadium was built as a bowl like the riverside.
Our main stands are at the side and not behind each goal which affects the level of atmosphere.
Away fans should be moved but then we do not want to upset the old bids in lower east.
Move away to west upper and get the noisy fans from there to reclaim the south.
Boro moved the away supporters to create a better atmosphere.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Pretty quiet on the tellybox. Except when they scored, obviously.
30 minutes of audible breath-intakes following the equaliser.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It did not translate to TV. Only the Bruno chant before we scored.

Pretty quiet on the tellybox. Except when they scored, obviously.
30 minutes of audible breath-intakes following the equaliser.

If you didn't hear them much then there must have been barely a whimper from us, and we were louder than usual.

My son watched on TV with a load of his friends while I was up there. When I got back the first thing I asked him was how the atmosphere was and he hadn't even noticed it. I asked because it was comfortably the loudest league game I've ever been at. Us and them. They were really, really loud but don't do ourselves down. My voice had gone this morning.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Actually, Im amazed by that. Best/loudest atmosphere I've experienced in years

My son watched on TV with a load of his friends while I was up there. When I got back the first thing I asked him was how the atmosphere was and he hadn't even noticed it. I asked because it was comfortably the loudest league game I've ever been at. Us and them. They were really, really loud but don't do ourselves down. My voice had gone this morning.

Weird. It sounded loudish on the radio but barely a peep on tv. Maybe the mics were in an odd place?
Could hear the Albion fans loud and proud second half. But that's a given!

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Everyone I speak to at the Amex feels the same as well. So who is it that wants to listen to deafening dance music at football, instead of the crowd singing? Because someone must, otherwise surely it wouldn't happen!?

Have the club said anything about this? It's prevalent everywhere now, and it really puts me off going into the stand until just before kick-off. Is it too cynical to think that the clubs want us to be in the concourse spending money rather than in the stands making a noise?

I e-mailed Bolton after the game there as the music there hurt my ears - they responded telling me that they would get in touch later. But never did.

theboybilly

In parts of the country where you have a high proportion of scum (i.e. desolate areas ridden with crime, unemployment and poor education) you will get loud-mouthed morons with no dignity whatsoever. They will therefore have no objection to being noisy, animated and hostile. They've got nothing to lose.

In civilised areas you will have decent, intelligent folk who are as interested in watching and analysing the football as they are creating an atmosphere. Therefore the impact of those whose focus is to create an atmosphere will be diluted.

It's why places like Middlesbrough, Liverpool and Leeds will always be noisy and Brighton, Chelsea and Southampton will not be.

Nice......not

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
I used to follow England away.
Pre match routine of drinking and singing was thought to be the cause of violence as it caused the locals to compete.
So the police came up with the idea to drown out the fans by playing load music thereby stopping fans singing as they could not hear themselves. It started at the Euros in Holland.
So you now get it at all stadiums to stop the atmosphere.

svewa54

Banned
May 7, 2016
I think what you are talking about is the equivalent of the Holgate End in Boro's old Ayresome Park ground. Behind the goal. It was standing only in the 60s and 70s, and sometimes, when Boro were on the attack, you could be swept off your feet when the crowd surged forwards. My dad used to have to pee in a bottle there in the 40s, coz it was impossible to get out to the toilet. Let's get rid of those stupid plastic seats! Good luck on Friday. Brighton is a great club and should be in the Premier League.

theboybilly

I drank in town before the game and then got a taxi to the Riverside........I gave up at the roundabout before the flyover because of traffic and walked the remainder of the way but the atmosphere approaching the ground an hour before kick-off was electric. I had no hassle from Boro fans and thought all in all was the most enjoyable of all the 19 away league trips I've done this season (and I wasn't among the 7000 at Stadium MK) The Riverside atmosphere was so much better than at Derby in May 2014 and that was pretty good too. All the Boro fans I met were decent and I enjoyed a few beers over the days with quite a number of them. I hope we go back there as a top-flight side next season. I wish them well

svewa54

Banned
May 7, 2016
In parts of the country where you have a high proportion of scum (i.e. desolate areas ridden with crime, unemployment and poor education) you will get loud-mouthed morons with no dignity whatsoever. They will therefore have no objection to being noisy, animated and hostile. They've got nothing to lose.

In civilised areas you will have decent, intelligent folk who are as interested in watching and analysing the football as they are creating an atmosphere. Therefore the impact of those whose focus is to create an atmosphere will be diluted.

It's why places like Middlesbrough, Liverpool and Leeds will always be noisy and Brighton, Chelsea and Southampton will not be.

I am hoping you are having a laugh here, because if you aren't, you are a complete tosser. For your info, I'm a 62-year-old retired senior teacher who lives in a posh town in the South West, but I come from Middlesbrough. I'm only on this forum because my wife's away for the weekend. Your comments are outlandish.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here