Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Atmosphere vs forest

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Chicken and egg indeed, and we’re generally more chicken, a big factor a collective neurosis, British self-consciousness about being laughed at a factor I’m sure, unlike the NSK, who don’t care. In Italy, Hammarby FC and elsewhere the conductor of the Ultras or whoever, spend large chunks of the match not facing the action, so what happens on the pitch is arguably secondary to generating an atmosphere.

Agree, having the fear of shouting “give me a “beeeeeee” and getting nothing back

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Watching on the box we had a corner and it was just silent even in the old days a corner used to bring the seagulls chant.
That’s because we have more chance of scoring when the opposition have a penalty than when we get a corner.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
At Brentford,the spirited almost universal singing of Enoch Mwepu over and over by 3000 fans for 10 minutes shows that it can be done....it was quite a moment.
I think you are forgetting we did not have 3000 at Brentford as allocation reduced due to ground size! Also it was just over 12 minutes, i know as i was there watching the clock in the stadium as i was belting it out.
I do wholeheartedly agree that it was quite a moment and even more so in the light of the spontaneity of it and the fact that nobody seemed to want it to end. It was incredible how many people without being told took a slight break individually to listen and recover their breath to then join in again as soon as they heard others start to falter. Pity it could not have been repeated at home but i guess with the light show and some people arriving late etc the chance was lost.
The only thing i can think of that bore some resemblance at home was the match where we had 2 sent off early and almost salvaged a draw while the tune of the great escape was belted out at regular intervals.

Out of curiosity, how many songs did you join in on. Or start?

Love all this finger pointing 'atmosphere is shit' stuff for pointing out how it's always other's fault whilst doing SFA themselves. Not necessarily you, but NOT ONE moaney poster has said "I tried to start a song" or "I joined in one that I could hear to get everyone around me going".

I sit in the NW corner and follow the songs coming out of the west side of the NS as that's what I hear. I only heard Forrest fans a couple of times and they were not that great until the end and they got their massive result.
I certainly join in when songs begin and definitely shout to try and get songs started. High up in West Upper was more groans of frustration though.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
This is all that's needed (1965)

DSC08870.jpg

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
This. Have always considered it utterly bizarre that about 90% of the home support sit in judgement over the 10% in the NS who are somehow supposed to magic up an atmosphere for the whole stadium. Non-NS'ers might have some rosy vision of how the NS is supposed to function, but the reality is far from that rosy vision. NS, from where I sit, is full of mums and dads and kids, pensioners up to the age of 90 (seriously, just found that one out on Tuesday, bless 'im), fans heartbreakingly falling into visible ill-health, EPL tourists, and all points in between. So for anyone looking to criticise the Amex atmosphere, first take a long hard look at yourself and what YOU contribute
No I don't agree; those who are incapable of joining in should do us all a favour and relocate from the NS to the ES or SS. This is a football ground not a f***ing care-home or creche!

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Noticed the half season tickets now available are heavily placed in the NS, which was a closed shop for a full ST pre season, anyone know why?

Can only assume quite a few match by match tickets are held here and snapped up early thus not advertised as ST spaces. In turn the World Cup break has delayed general sale next year?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No one bothers to do anything to improve the atmosphere though, it’s dire at home games, too many leaving early again (I know not to moan about this but it’s true) so what’s the point of the players putting the effort in to chase a winner when the fans can’t. Our support has become incredibly passive while expecting the best, it’s become very sanitised at home, away from home it’s a different story.
This is how I see it too. How to turn it around is less easy to work out.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think you are forgetting we did not have 3000 at Brentford as allocation reduced due to ground size! Also it was just over 12 minutes, i know as i was there watching the clock in the stadium as i was belting it out.
I do wholeheartedly agree that it was quite a moment and even more so in the light of the spontaneity of it and the fact that nobody seemed to want it to end. It was incredible how many people without being told took a slight break individually to listen and recover their breath to then join in again as soon as they heard others start to falter. Pity it could not have been repeated at home but i guess with the light show and some people arriving late etc the chance was lost.
The only thing i can think of that bore some resemblance at home was the match where we had 2 sent off early and almost salvaged a draw while the tune of the great escape was belted out at regular intervals.
It was more than 12 minutes, I'm pretty sure it went beyond that on the clock in the stadium, more like 15 minutes. But even that doesn't do justice to it. We started singing it when 7 Nation Army was played on their PA which was a minute or two or three prior to the kick off itself.

Bryanw42

Nov 8, 2021
Epsom
Apart from the 4 miserable Chelsea fans behind us almost all of E1G were getting stuck into it yesterday which is a rarity. I could hear all sections of the Amex in full voice and I'm pretty sure there were songs starting from the southern end of the west at moments. You could feel it build before kick-off and the whole stadium joined Albion, Albion...right at the off - again a rarity.
The ferocious start whipped everyone up even more. On MOTD, the commentor said the atmosphere was "crackling" at the start and it did indeed feel like a thunderstorm building. Then after the nerves were eased slightly, after two up and then onwards it was up there with the best I've experienced - certainly the best noise in that part of the ground. We were sat next to a great bunch of blokes from the Netherlands visiting with one of their mates from Brighton and they were all loving it and joining in the singing. Brilliant. A truly awesome day and completely restored my faith in our collective ability to make the stadium bounce like it did yesterday. Want more.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I always like to use Leeds a rebuttal to this particular piece of perceived wisdom.

Leeds fans are some of the noisiest bastards around. Yet they were still getting tonked regularly enough that they ended up sacking The Footballing Jesus Himself Marcelo Bielsa.

Forest, last night, made a ton of noise and it did literally nothing to gee up their team who were beyond shit.

I just will never buy that professional footballers give even half a thought to the atmosphere except to say "yeah the fans were amazing" in a post-match interview.
Are you 100% sure..?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here