Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Atletico De Madrid friendly at the Amex?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Argus is now saying he is suspended but I am sure that CH said after the game that the ref wouldnt report it as it was for 2 yellows.not a straight red.but I could have misread it or misinterpreted CH remarks.

Its not to do with the ref reporting it. its because it was 2 yellows which is a 1 game suspension. (thus missing AM)
If it was straight red (violent conduct) it would have been a 3 game suspension (thus missing Man City +1).

I thought friendlies didn't count but apparently they do.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Solid championship side. Let's hope the jump isn't too much for them

Can't believe how patronising we're getting about a team who walked the Championship last season. And like it or not , without even more signings to come , have been strengthened further in the summer. "solid championship team" ? Sounds like you're talking about Burton Albion not Brighton and Hove Albion.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Its not to do with the ref reporting it. its because it was 2 yellows which is a 1 game suspension. (thus missing AM)
If it was straight red (violent conduct) it would have been a 3 game suspension (thus missing Man City +1).

I thought friendlies didn't count but apparently they do.

I realize about 2 yellows and a 1 game ban but like you thought that friendlies only counted for straight red, which is how I read it, which was obviously wrong.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I realize about 2 yellows and a 1 game ban but like you thought that friendlies only counted for straight red, which is how I read it, which was obviously wrong.

yep. seems a bit harsh and disappointing not to see Glenn get a run out tomorrow.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Atletico Madrid play roughhouse to an extent, even in friendlies. You can't wrap players up in cotton wool, but the last thing we need is an injury or two amongst our better players.

I still don't think that'll stop us putting out a strong or strongest side - we're going to come up against all sorts of tactics etc so no point in mollycodling. :lol:

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Can't believe how patronising we're getting about a team who walked the Championship last season. And like it or not , without even more signings to come , have been strengthened further in the summer. "solid championship team" ? Sounds like you're talking about Burton Albion not Brighton and Hove Albion.

In fairness yes we have strengthened during the summer to a degree, But the strengthening we've done so far is what I would have expected at Championship level rather than Premier League. Suttner, Ryan, Brown and Gross all look a bit of an upgrade on Stockdale, Poco, Norwood and that waste of space from Arsenal (whose name escapes me now). We still need to strengthen properly in preparation for Premier League level which as proved season upon season is a massive step up.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I still don't think that'll stop us putting out a strong or strongest side - we're going to come up against all sorts of tactics etc so no point in mollycodling. :lol:

Hughton has already said , as in previous equivalent fixtures, that he will be putting out a side close to the one that will start against Man City at least for the first 45 or 60 or so.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
In fairness yes we have strengthened during the summer to a degree, But the strengthening we've done so far is what I would have expected at Championship level rather than Premier League. Suttner, Ryan, Brown and Gross all look a bit of an upgrade on Stockdale, Poco, Norwood and that waste of space from Arsenal (whose name escapes me now). We still need to strengthen properly in preparation for Premier League level which as proved season upon season is a massive step up.

Agreed . Further strengthening is necessary. No arguments there. Hughton et all all agree.
But the view, prevalent on here, that the remaining squad , and we've not lost any key players, has overnight suddenly become merely a "solid champ side" and has no experience (500+ prem league or La Liga or Bundesliga appearances) and is relegated without playing a game is again, hyperbole that doesn't stand up.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Agreed . Further strengthening is necessary. No arguments there. Hughton et all all agree.
But the view, prevalent on here, that the remaining squad , and we've not lost any key players, has overnight suddenly become merely a "solid champ side" and has no experience (500+ prem league or La Liga or Bundesliga appearances) and is relegated without playing a game is again, hyperbole that doesn't stand up.

I'm not quite in the panic mode some and I'd feel a bit better if Knocky hadn't picked up an injury, but fans are entitled to be concerned about the lack of strengthening so far.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not quite in the panic mode some and I'd feel a bit better if Knocky hadn't picked up an injury, but fans are entitled to be concerned about the lack of strengthening so far.

Agreed. Of course. But wise to also acknowledge that we've so far not played a match, everyone is in the same boat, nobody agrees that strengthening is not required, we actually do have some decent players and its premature to pass a verdict on our squad until business is complete.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Rosenior has got to be with a chance of a start on the right side of midfield?

Do we need a pre-match thread for the Man City game ? (with badges)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Maybe

Ryan
Bruno Duffy Dunk Suttner
Rosenior Stephens Sidwell March