Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At what stage is it acceptable to get excited?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
I would recommend trying to hold off for at least 5 minutes or she might be disappointed..

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Somebody commented on the official match day thread yesterday that "we are contenders". That got me thinking how far into the season do you have to remain in the automatic promotion area before it is reasonable to a neutral to call yourselves contenders? We had a great start under Gus some seasons back and it proved to be short lived. Decorum also suggests it's not a good idea to get too cocky among mixed company, as there are still 41 games to go. When is a good time to officially consider ourselves "in the mix"?

Having said all of that, I am already massively excited about this season. If this thread seems weird then it's probably because I am off nights and could more sensibly

be going to bed.
That is one fabulously stated thread...I echo that emotion

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Excited about what? I'm excited about our form, our position, our signings, our manager, and how the team is gelling. Excited about next May? I'll wait until April to get excited about that. In the meantime, I'm enjoying what we're doing now, without worrying about what may or may not happen in the future.
You must be so exciting to live with...all that cup half full and not half empty...gee you probably can't wait to get out of bed and revel in the life in front of you. Boo!!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You must be so exciting to live with...all that cup half full and not half empty...gee you probably can't wait to get out of bed and revel in the life in front of you. Boo!!!

Of course I'm going to enjoy my life. It's the only one I've got.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
You must have had a miserable life.
Why say that? We all have our knocks through life. Just because you probable want brighton to not win? I want Brighton to win every game. If we lose I'm not angry, just disapointed.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
First time in years I've enjoyed watching us play....attacking football is the way to progress now.
Well done hughton and good riddance to slow boring sideways football with no end product.

Jan 10, 2014
No one was calling Burnley contenders until the last week in March, and we were romping home. :)

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's obviously acceptable to get excited now! As to when we can consider ourselves real contenders for promotion, I would wait until the ten-game mark, which is after the home game with Cardiff and before the next international break. If we are still top or thereabouts then, I think we can think ourselves in with a shout.

ringmerseagulltoo

Feb 16, 2012
I'm excited about the football now. I will only start to get excited about our fortunes for the season once we are mathematically safe from relegation. When will that be? April I say.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
If the Argentine guy signs for 6M/7M far more than any BHA signing in history, I would say that would be a big reason to be excited for the rest of the season, plus good signings already and the excellent start of the season of course.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yep, for all the talk of how close the league is each year, there's often quite a gulf in quality. Even the year before, we knew we'd lose in the playoffs to Derby when Upson and Greer were injured, we just didn't have the depth.

The team yesterday have come a long way since last year. Of course 13 points out of 15 flatters us, it would flatter anyone, no team finishes the league with that kind of record.

A certain manager's team weren't far off that six years ago.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009–10_Football_League_Championship

kiwigull

Nov 14, 2008
Weren't we top from September in winning league one? Don't care, excited as now, especially seeing I'm moving to Brighton from New Zealand later this year!

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I'm excited about our team, our ability, our signings and our playstyle right now. For us though I'm not going to get excited about our position until we're half-way through the season. We have a particularly tough December (Derby/QPR/Middlesbrough/Brentford/Ipswich) so I'm not sure that our position prior to that is anything to go by.

luge

Dec 18, 2010
our strength in depth is as good as I can ever remember. we have two players for every position, with the possibility of adding 1/2 more.

in previous seasons, our first XI has been strong, but the back ups weak. This makes me excited.

I'm not looking at league form until mid winter - remember Forest last year? they fell away quickly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The bookies have us third for the title and we know that three teams get promoted. We're starting to get noticed.

I seriously think we're one striker away from being the real deal, put Vydra in for Baldock and our squad us as good as anyone's in the division.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here