Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At what stage does Bloom question the recruitment set up?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why can't we have a recruitment team like they've got at Peterborough ? Talent taken from the lower leagues at bargain prices , developed to play like whizz kids in the first team and sold for millions of £.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Applaud all of this. No wonder fans have started calling him Baldrick, he's pure comedy at this level but sadly only Brisol City and other championship clubs are laughing.

May well turn out to be the worst striker signing since Farrington all circumstances and value considered. I sincerely hope not but has more in common with than not currently.
He is truely woeful.

Just so we can put everything in perspective, does anyone have this season's stats for minutes on the pitch per goal for :

Ulloa (prem)
Barnes (prem)
Murray

Baldock
CMS
OGrady
Colunga

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I was thinking what are the top five players the club have signed since Gus left, not including loan players.
Mine are:

1 Dale Stephens

2 Paddy McCourt

3 Danny Hola

4 Aaron Hughes

5 David Stockdale

I have to say I am struggling after these 5 and I am not impressed by them.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Why can't we have a recruitment team like they've got at Peterborough ? Talent taken from the lower leagues at bargain prices , developed to play like whizz kids in the first team and sold for millions of £.

I'd make an offer to their recruitment team and get em down here lock stock and barrel! Would cost a fraction of the stupid money we pay to players who don't perform.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Surely the issue with Toko is not whether he was brought for the DS or straight for the first eleven. The issue must be is he good enough? if he is why isn't he playing, if he's not who brought him? This is not some totally unknown from Spainish league 7 but a lad who had other options. Maybe homesick, maybe unmotivated maybe hates SH, almost certain we will never know.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I was thinking what are the top five players the club have signed since Gus left, not including loan players.
Mine are:

1 Dale Stephens

2 Paddy McCourt

3 Danny Hola

4 Aaron Hughes

5 David Stockdale

I have to say I am struggling after these 5 and I am not impressed by them.

Still at the club perhaps, but if not, Matt upsom would walk to the top. But your point is taken. It's a crock of by comparison but then budgets haven't been as much. And don't forget Gus passes over a few talented individuals as all managers do.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Still at the club perhaps, but if not, Matt upsom would walk to the top. But your point is taken. It's a crock of by comparison but then budgets haven't been as much. And don't forget Gus passes over a few talented individuals as all managers do.

Sorry you can't have Upson he signed for Gus January 2013.

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria

We've tried that before - Nathan Elder, Chris Holroyd.

Shudders at the memory.

May 18, 2013
For me, the interesting comments about recruitment were in the Argus from SH. He said 'I like all the time to know more and more background information about them. Their attitude and mentality, those kind of things are very important for me.'
Sounds to me like he's not impressed with some of the attitudes of his players. Player recruitment can probably pick up on talent but how do they really know about the person's personality? If there are issues over someone's attitude to work then, in any workplace, that would be the line manager's job to get it improved or they are not managing them properly.
Also DB has always said that the manager has always had the final say on signings. If Oscar didn't give any direction on this then recruitment in the summer was always going to be difficult. Let's see what SH brings to the process in January.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Re: Sami.

Do we sign a manager who has been tried multiple times and failed each time

Or do we gamble and recruit a new-ish manager with something to prove and who is trying to make a name for themself in the football world? Mickey Adams mark I and Gus both had lofty aspirations and we saw them get the best out of their squad.

We are going down the route of the gamble because we could end up with a top manager that we would never otherwise be able to recruit once they make it.

Yep, I see that, but I think that once in a position to strike for the premiership you keep your assets and recruit the missing piece of the jigsaw. That's something that could be seen as a gamble too.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I imagine that that was just the conversation Hyppia had. Sammy Lee was clearly so appalled at the set up that he decided to sign a 3 year deal with us to be assistant manager.

Strange that. I was sure he'd turned us down and gone to Southampton.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The game against rotherham when paddy played that peach of a cross and our "strikers" just effing stood there was the day I gave up on them ALL. Bin them all off and start again. This time with a proper big striker and not COG.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Out of all the signings made in the summer or since the only player that seems to be upto championship level is Paddy McCourt and he only gets cameo roles...its november now 3 months into the season and other than a handful of games where we have played well we are a poor team compared to the last 3 years..the players bought in are all inferior to the players sold and its all down to FFP and saving money/cutting losses but its all having a massive impact on money being spent through the turnstile and in the ground...I imagine Tony Bloom is constantly analysing the recruitment of players that simply dont cut it at this level...Barber should be worrying over his job as well as Burke

Agree about Burke, but Barber has little say in player recruitment. Burke and his team find targets, then it all depends on whether Burke can persuade them to sign and their demands/fee match TB's budget.

Although if the club's recent regression continues, no one's job would be safe as part of cost-cutting!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agree about Burke, but Barber has little say in player recruitment. Burke and his team find targets, then it all depends on whether Burke can persuade them to sign and their demands/fee match TB's budget.

Although if the club's recent regression continues, no one's job would be safe as part of cost-cutting!

I agree. What still grates with me is the faffing and fannying around at the end of the season re Ward. Whilst I accept we don't know what goes on and just may be, the discussions were protracted, before Burnley stepped in. But it also feels, like we were playing hard-ball and should have looked to have sewn it up as soon after Derby as possible, having off-loaded Jesse, Andrews and Kuszczak at the end of that game, surely there was some money to play with, to push the boat out a little more?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's not the recruitment.

It's the manager.

Eddie Howe, mick mcarthy, Sean dyche had poorer squads.

Burnley - Ings and Vokes - proper Championship strikers.
Howe and McCarthy have been handed, or more likely had a big say in assembling proper squads with pace, power, goals, midfield creativity and midfield bite.

All exactly the parts glaringly missing from this Brighton squad. Only a few cannot see it and in time honoured fashion blame the recently appointed coach.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Burnley - Ings and Vokes - proper Championship strikers.
Howe and McCarthy have been handed, or more likely had a big say in assembling proper squads with pace, power, goals, midfield creativity and midfield bite.

All exactly the parts glaringly missing from this Brighton squad. Only a few cannot see it and in time honoured fashion blame the recently appointed coach.

Everyone said vokes wasn't good here.

We have a manager who gets the worst out of our players.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
It's not the recruitment.

It's the manager.

Eddie Howe, mick mcarthy, Sean dyche had poorer squads.

:facepalm: The Ipswich, Bournemouth and Burnley (2013/14 version) squads are/were all better balanced, with simply far more accomplished Championship level players, than this squad assembled by Burke. I bet McCarthy, Howe and Dyche have a far greater role in player recruitment than OG and SH.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here