At what point does sheparding the ball out for a goal kick become obstruction?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
To shield the ball you have to be in possession of it, this is rarely the case when the defender places himself between the attacker and the ball.
Theres a difference between obstructing and shielding.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
While we on silly ruled another one that always gets me is when a forward runs straight into a defender who is standing a few feet in front of the forward. Forward falls down and expects a free kick which they usually get. But why should the defender have to get out of the way.

Was good to see Bolasie get penalised for that today, kicked the ball beyond the defender and with no intention of going for the ball just ran at the defender instead. Ref quite rightly gave a foul against him.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
However, "shepherding" the ball out of play has certainly become more prevalent over the years. I can't remember the last time I saw a ref blow up for obstruction.

Because, as mentioned earlier, it's not.

To shield the ball you have to be in possession of it, this is rarely the case when the defender places himself between the attacker and the ball.

Not at all. I quoted the relevant law earlier and it states quite explicitly that doesn't have to be the case. The defender has to be close enough to the ball to play it if he wishes to but doesn't have to be in possession

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It's not a grey area at all. Shepherding the ball like that is not an offence no matter where it's committed. It doesn't happen in other parts of the field as there's a danger someone else could nick the ball.

Let's have a look at what the law says. "Impeding the progress of an opponent means moving into the path of the opponent to obstruct, block, slow down or force a change of direction by an opponent when the ball is not within playing distance of either player.

All players have a right to their position on the field of play, being in the way of an opponent is not the same as moving into the way of an opponent.

Shielding the ball is permitted. A player who places himself between an opponent and the ball for tactical reasons has not committed an offence as long as the ball is kept within playing distance and the player does not hold off the opponent with his arms or body. If the ball is within playing distance, the player may be fairly charged by an opponent.

Every time I've seen a defender shield the ball, he's not run into the opponent's path and he's not outside playing distance.
But they're often holding the player off with their arms or body. If the other player tries to get round him and he moves in his way, which they do,, then it's obstruction.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Because, as mentioned earlier, it's not.

You misunderstand. I made two separate observations in two different sentences; the former not challenging your view, the latter relating to a general observation about play anywhere on the pitch. You overlooked the full stop in your haste to reinforce your view.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports