Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

At least 10 dead in Oregon Community College Shooting

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
The BBC and the rest of the left wing media are trying to keep his Muslim connections quiet I suspect.

What Muslim Connections????? It was a genuine question.

Is there any reason to believe there were any? Or is it just narrow-minded bigoted people who presume that anything nasty that happens in the world today has to be perpetrated for religious reasons by a Muslim?

He does not have a "funny" name. He is reputed to have asked each of his victims what their religion was, and told Christians they would be going to meet their God in a second, or something similar. But no reports of "Allah be praised" or whatever. Maybe he just didn't say it to Non-Christians that he shot.

This is not a rant. It is a genuine call fro enlightenment.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
You are being more than a bit stupid. As you cannot be bothered, I have looked it up for you. Source

Gun related homicides per 100,000 US 3.55 UK 0.05
Gun related suicides per 100,00 US 6.70 UK 0.17

So 71 times the number of murders and 39 times the number of suicides. I would say that is statistical significant enough to prove that gun control does work.

But doesn't Switzerland have a lower gun death toll than the UK?

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
There are countries which have legalisation of guns and yet have a lower death toll due to guns than the UK.

Are there? Switzerland is normally the country rolled out by people making this argument. So let us look at them. From the same source as my previous statistics.

Switzerland homicides per 100,000: 0.23 Suicides 2.68

Nope does not look like that backs your argument either.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
People in the UK can argue about American gun control forever. It wont change it. Young Americans will continue to be killed in their classrooms by mentalists who should have no right to buy firearms.

Think it was a comedian who suggested raising the price of bullets to 4000 dollars a piece. Then you know whoever is shot must have deserved it.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Erm, legalisation of guns? One country has legalisation the other doesn't.

Switzerland has much more relaxed gun laws than the UK, but still much tighter restrictions than the USA.
Again, it's the legislation. Tighten it up to reduce the death and injuries.

The USA has extremely relaxed gun laws and 16x the number of firearm related deaths (per 100,000) compared to Switzerland.

The stricter the legislation, the lower the death toll. It's extremely simple.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Gun control when there are already 300 million guns held in the US is sadly too late.

You get a licence you get a gun. The gun is then registered to you.
Easy to limit firearms if you have the will...........getting the will is the hard bit over there. If innocent kids die on a regular basis and they don't find it, well.............

Illegal guns I hear you say.....well they were all legal once.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Switzerland has much more relaxed gun laws than the UK, but still much tighter restrictions than the USA.
Again, it's the legislation. Tighten it up to reduce the death and injuries.

The USA has extremely relaxed gun laws and 16x the number of firearm related deaths (per 100,000) compared to Switzerland.

The stricter the legislation, the lower the death toll. It's extremely simple.

I'm not disagreeing. I just think it's a joke we're never pointing the finger at the weapons manufacturers. We do when it's drugs.

I suppose guns don't kill people, rappers do......

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Erm, legalisation of guns? One country has legalisation the other doesn't.

Well, there are some major differences between gun ownership in Switzerland and the US.

I believe that people of fighting age are required to own a firearm in Switzerland ( this may be outdated but I don't think so) which means that the vast majority of Swiss probably have no intention of using the weapon and many probably don't want to own one and keep it locked up, never to see the light of day. As oppose to the US where one has to WANT to own a gun and can go and buy any number of ridiculously high powered arms because they actively wish to own them.

All able bodied Swiss of a certain age are military trained and therefore hugely different to your average American teenager or survivalist, making them much less likely to use weapons in anger.

I'll save you the bother of the point you are inevitably going to make that you believe the US want to disarm it's citizens in a bid to control them more easily. They are not doing that. Clearly.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm not disagreeing. I just think it's a joke we're never pointing the finger at the weapons manufacturers. We do when it's drugs.

I suppose guns don't kill people, rappers do......

You were completely disagreeing until a couple of people posted a few easily obtainable facts.

It's not the manufacturers who need a finger pointed at, it's Politicians and Pro Gun Group Leaders.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
You get a licence you get a gun. The gun is then registered to you.
Easy to limit firearms if you have the will...........getting the will is the hard bit over there. If innocent kids die on a regular basis and they don't find it, well.............

Illegal guns I hear you say.....well they were all legal once.

I am with you in spirit but the problem in the US is that even with gun control getting hold of the damn things is very easy. What's more they don't tend to wear out so last for decades.

Gun control makes sense to a degree, but I can't see it stopping such tragedies.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I am with you in spirit but the problem in the US is that even with gun control getting hold of the damn things is very easy. What's more they don't tend to wear out so last for decades.

Gun control makes sense to a degree, but I can't see it stopping such tragedies.

Well unless we define gun control that argument could rumble on. Let's start with assault rifles, automatics and similar. The point is adopting a 'well the horse has bolted attitude' isn't an answer because in 30 years people will be having the same argument. Maybe if we promise never to invade so they needn't form any militias it'll help.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Well unless we define gun control that argument could rumble on. Let's start with assault rifles, automatics and similar. The point is adopting a 'well the horse has bolted attitude' isn't an answer because in 30 years people will be having the same argument. Maybe if we promise never to invade so they needn't form any militias it'll help.

I'm a lover not a fighter myself Q, just like you. The genie on this one is out of the bottle and I don't know how to put it back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here