Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Littlemo

Aug 25, 2022
We def don’t need to write off the EL. We just need to find a way to get through the group stage successful, because it’s not going to be long before the new players are up to speed and things look better.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
To give an idea of realistic ambition, USG won their group and got through to the QFs last season. We are better and have more depth than USG, so writing off the EL is just silly in favour of finish a few places higher in the PL - which we’ve zero chance of winning.
Union were not having to play in the PL every week.

We have to think long term. I’m assuming we all want to play in Europe again and again? Well in my opinion, throwing everything we have at this season is not necessarily the smartest move.

Finishing 12th and getting to the semis wins you nothing and certainly doesn’t act as a magnet for future signings.

Super Sub

Aug 13, 2016
Great start but if we are honest, a result like that has been coming.

The defence are getting a lot of flack but for me the problems lay in the engine room. We have lots of nice, touch players but no physicality what so ever. They have obviously gone now but that score never happens with a Caceido or Bissouma in the 11.
Baleba could become that guy but asking a 19 year old to step up now is a big ask.
I believe we missed a trick not getting a Now replacement in during the window.

onwards

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So you would rather the opposite then ? Finish 8th and go out of Europe early ?
No. I want to qualify for Europe again. We won’t do that by finishing 12th and getting to the semis or quarters.

Southy

Jul 7, 2003
Great start but if we are honest, a result like that has been coming.

The defence are getting a lot of flack but for me the problems lay in the engine room. We have lots of nice, touch players but no physicality what so ever. They have obviously gone now but that score never happens with a Caceido or Bissouma in the 11.
Baleba could become that guy but asking a 19 year old to step up now is a big ask.
I believe we missed a trick not getting a Now replacement in during the window.

onwards
Wasnt Caceido playing against Everton last season?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I would rather finish 12th and get to euro semis than finish 8th and give up on Europa.

Agree. There's just so many on here saying we should write of the Europa to finish 6th or 7th. Madness
6th, 7th and probably 8th will qualify for Europe next season. Consistently qualifying for Europe, or being in the mix to qualify, will be better for our development longer term than one run to the semi finals this season. That's not to say we can't finish in the top 8 and go deep in Europe with a bit of luck.

The problem we currently have is too many injuries to key players who know the system and the new players not being well versed enough for it not to make an impact. Some of how we are playing reminds me of the first 5 games under RDZ where at times we looked a bit clueless and lost when it came to implementing his ideas. It will come good.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
It’s not just the physical recovery part it’s the mental switching off one result and quickly resetting for the next as well as lack of preparation time.

This is nothing new all clubs/squads of our size who compete in the European competitions inevitably take a bit of a hit in the league and we have seen a glimpse of that today.
I agree to a certain extent but the players can't be knackered yet and if they can't be up for every game this season then when can they? RDZ hasn't helped with the massive squad rotation either but let's learn from it and onwards and upwards.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
So you want to qualify for Europe so we can get knocked out early again when mitoma and others are sold and are squad is weaker?

We need to go for Europe this season.
Why, are we being disbanded next season?

Play the long game!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
bad fan, but decided to go out a motorcycle ride, instead of watching this on tv. Pleased with my choice. Really feel for those that made the trip, hope they get extra loyalty points.

hopefully we do better on Thursday. 🤞
Tbh I thought 10 was a bit tight anyway given lunchtime ko and train strike!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
One of those days. Save’s having to wait up for Match of the day.

We move on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here