Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Aston Villa vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
STOP PRESS:
Just a reminder we’re having the best times of our lives right now. If expectation is we’ll win something then probably need to reset sights. In this context, you can’t be too disappointed todays result.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
The lack of work rate and intensity in the first half was unacceptable. Regardless of team selection, tactics, should goals have been disallowed or general performance the one thing every player has complete control of is their work rate and intensity. First half ours was far below what it needed to be.

I'd also very much like us to be able to offer some kind of of defense against the counter and, to be honest, just some kind of defense. The back four are being left out to dry and are struggling with it.

Yes, we have five wins from 7. Yes, our next game is in European competition against Marseilles and yes, we were genuinely god awfully shit in the 90s but for where we are now that was a f*** up of a game and there may or may not be bigger concerns with our tactics.

Things will probably be rosier in a day or two.

Also, whilst it was a horrible game to make it in, congratulations to Hinshelwood on his premier league debut proper.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Desperately need Baleba up to speed and asap.

Our lack of a strong defensive holding midfielder is costing us. It’s also heaping the pressure on an already fragile defence.

Moder returning to fitness would be a huge boost in that department also.
But I hope he isn't rushed back - will take ages for the lad to learn deZ ball and get match fit

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
STOP PRESS:
Just a reminder we’re having the best times of our lives right now. If expectation is we’ll win something then probably need to reset sights. In this context, you can’t be too disappointed todays result.
I get your point and always felt anything above 10th would probably be a push this season given our limited squad and European exertions, but I think people are entitled to be quite disappointed with a 6-1 defeat...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It feels like he's tinkering to save players from getting tired, rather then doing what he should be doing and resting them when they're actually tired.

This is stopping players forming an understanding with each other. Also, rotating GKs and CBs, week in week out doesn't need to happen. We need familiarity here, consistency.
You live up to your nickname, and I couldn't agree more.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We simply don’t have the strength in depth. If I were Bloom and RDZ I’d start focusing on the PL and play the kids in Europe. We’re not going to win the Europa so we want to play our strongest team week in week out in the PL.
That’s just daft. Liverpool are favourites for Europa League, but we’re definitely one of the 2-3 teams that can upset them and we should go deep in that tournament. Joint second favourites weren’t we?

It’s just a case of making too many changes.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Does playing 180 mins of football really make you that tired. Play a settled team

This is just not an option. If we have ANY chance of success in ANY competition we need to rotate.

RDZ is doing absolutely the right thing in starting this rotation early - as it's no good later on once the squad is depleted and our key players are mentally and physically knackered.

I do think he got the squads wrong v Chelsea and Villa... but hindsight is wonderful of course.

Think he should stop rotating keepers though - stick with Bart - as a keeper is not as affected by football congestion and can easily play 50+ games without loss of form.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
This is just not an option. If we have ANY chance of success in ANY competition we need to rotate.

RDZ is doing absolutely the right thing in starting this rotation early - as it's no good later on once the squad is depleted and our key players are mentally and physically knackered.

I do think he got the squads wrong v Chelsea and Villa... but hindsight is wonderful of course.

Think he should stop rotating keepers though - stick with Bart - as a keeper is not as affected by football congestion and can easily play 50+ games without loss of form.
We rotating the squad still picking up injuries

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I get your point and always felt anything above 10th would probably be a push this season given our limited squad and European exertions, but I think people are entitled to be quite disappointed with a 6-1 defeat...
Hence the reminder, because naturally we are.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Were you there? Did you suffer 98 mins of utter shite. Did you not consider that the manager by playing Gilmour and Hinshelwood effectively handed Villa the midfield and allowed them to romp to a big victory without having to play particularly well.

The central midfield looked disastrous from the off, I agree, but not one albion player in that first half turned up. Villa certainly played well - they had a plan to neutralise us and we had no answer. They looked very strong going forward and bossed the midfield.
And, no, I wasn‘t there today. Glad I didn’t and commiserations to you for watching that shite.
I’ve been to some though, when our high risk tactics haven‘t worked.
More often than not though RDZ gets it right, which was kind of my point.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I don’t understand the formation. RDZ is all about keeping the ball but yet he went 2 up top gifting them the midfield, so strange

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here