Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Assault in away end

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Morning everyone ,

I don't usually post on here anymore, more of a reader, but I did think about posting this and I am thankful it has been posted.

I travelled with the two people assaulted, one of whom is a close friend and his family are also good friends through going to Brighton games together for years, home and away.

The person in that photo should never be allowed to attend a Brighton game again in his life. He was so drunk there was no reasoning with him.

He was politely asked to move from seats we had paid for and we're all sitting in together. His reaction to this was to assault a man on crutches in his late 60's and then head butt his son.

It all happened very quickly , so there was no change to intervene. We did ask security to remove him and it appeared they had done, although he later returned to the stands, pint in hand, with the nerve to try to approach us again.

An historic occasion for some some absolute die hard fans was ruined by a guy who can't handle his drink. It really was poor.
How are they? Were they able to stay and watch the game?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You’re absolutely right to be posting this, and I don’t see why you’ve protected the bloke’s identity on here, to be honest.

If that happens in the UK, the police would probably give him a banning order. The French police are however f***ing useless, so hopefully BHA will at least impose sanctions.

You can understand people getting wound up with goading oppo fans and players, but this is unhinged.

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
You’re absolutely right to be posting this, and I don’t see why you’ve protected the bloke’s identity on here, to be honest.

If that happens in the UK, the police would probably give him a banning order. The French police are however f***ing useless, so hopefully BHA will at least impose sanctions.

You can understand people getting wound up with goading oppo fans and players, but this is unhinged.
Thanks, the club have the full photo. I might, but will speak to @Bozza first.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Really sorry to hear this.

I was just out walking the dog and, having now had some sleep, it was a good time to reflect on the last couple of days and, in particular, the game itself.

I was going to start a thread called something like "Lawlessness in Stade Velodrome" because, I think those who weren't in Marseille, and are only used to the Amex and other UK grounds, would be quite amazed at how, essentially, fans were able to do anything they wanted. There were very, very few stewards anywhere, largely replaced by police who, it seemed, weren't interested in anything at all. I guess that would have changed if there had been widespread unrest, but the Albion fans were never going to provide that.

This incident illustrates the very worst aspects of that. If that had happened in a UK ground, there would be steward/police intervention and likely an arrest.

I hope the victim has been able to recover - what a horrible incident that would have utterly spoiled what should have been an amazing experience for them.

JBizzleBeard

Jan 23, 2007
Brighton
That is absolutely bloody awful. I’m glad you are bringing this up and not letting this asshole get away with it.
I sincerely hope there is a life ban on all Albion matches coming.
My word there are some absolute wrong ‘uns out there, eh?
Hope you are all doing ok. What a shit thing to happen on any occasion but even more so on this historic night for our beloved B&HA.

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I travelled with the two people assaulted, one of whom is a close friend and his family are also good friends through going to Brighton games together for years, home and away.
I'm very upset to hear what has happened to the two people, do you know how they are feeling currently?

It is disgusting behaviour and frankly an act that shouldn't be tolerated throughout society, someone that is mentally and physically incompetent to be civilised amongst other fans and therefore should receive a lifetime ban - it is unacceptable.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Whilst I’ve no doubt the incident took place and that a life ban should only be part of the punishment, the club is going to find it difficult to take action unless they find the scum perpetrator, the victim(s) and witnesses.
Hopefully NSC can do its stuff in helping the club and fellow supporters.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Morning everyone ,

I don't usually post on here anymore, more of a reader, but I did think about posting this and I am thankful it has been posted.

The person in that photo should never be allowed to attend a Brighton game again in his life. He was so drunk there was no reasoning with him.

He was politely asked to move from seats we had paid for and we're all sitting in together. His reaction to this was to assault a man on crutches in his late 60's and then head butt his son.

It all happened very quickly , so there was no change to intervene. We did ask security to remove him and it appeared they had done, although he later returned to the stands, pint in hand, with the nerve to try to approach us again.

An historic occasion for some some absolute die hard fans was ruined by a guy who can't handle his drink. It really was poor.
Awful story. Hope the lout gets all he deserves. Please follow up on this, and if/when he is sanctioned/convicted, if his name and photo can also be published, that will rightly compound the punishment, as everybody who knows him will now be less friendly with him, and he will be a pariah, both among Albion fans, and also his friends and neighbours.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Name and shame, there seem to have been plenty of witnesses to back this up, this behaviour has no place at any football game.

A real shame becuase in the main the atmosphere in and amongst the Albion fans was amazing throughout.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I hope he made the most of singing "We're all going on a European tour" whilst he was there.

Don't reckon he'll be doing any more tours any time soon.

Or home matches for that matter.

He won't be missed.

Albion 4ever

Feb 26, 2009
Did you have any independent witnesses to confirm the background to what happened and then the assault? That’s the only way the club can rightly ban them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here