ASPINALL- Get a big drum and get the Amex rocking

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Away fans will, in the main, out-sing home fans. That is the way it is in English football well in excess of 90% of the time.

As such, there is little point in either stating we were outsung by team X at the Amex, nor that we outsung Team Y at their place. It's just the way it is.

Has the Amex atmosphere deteriorated? I'm not so sure it has, at least not significantly.

What is surprising is that crowds in general have not picked up yet. I've posted before on like-for-like (in terms of date and time of week etc) Oscar era games when compared to the current era, and it is surprising how much down we are this season. Recent example:

Tue. 11/03/14 v QPR 28,019
Tue. 15/03/14 v Reading 23,418

Yes, QPR bought more but not nearly 5,000 more.

From my recent ticket buying experience I think you will find that will change in the next few games.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If we MUST have a drum, can the club PLEASE ensure the drummer(s) hold a recognised Drumming Proficiency qualification. Went to a match in Fuerteventura yesterday and somebody somewhere thought it might be a good idea to put little kids in charge of big drums. BAD idea! :angry:

FUTBOL4.JPG

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children of Mile Oak - and not let them near any bloody drums!

And... RELAX :smokin:

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Away fans will, in the main, out-sing home fans. That is the way it is in English football well in excess of 90% of the time.

As such, there is little point in either stating we were outsung by team X at the Amex, nor that we outsung Team Y at their place. It's just the way it is.

Has the Amex atmosphere deteriorated? I'm not so sure it has, at least not significantly.

What is surprising is that crowds in general have not picked up yet. I've posted before on like-for-like (in terms of date and time of week etc) Oscar era games when compared to the current era, and it is surprising how much down we are this season. Recent example:

Tue. 15/03/14 v Reading 23,418

This appears to have been remedied for the Burnley game. I think the lower ST number is main factor in the reduced figures as the match by match prices are still too high in my opinion. The crowd numbers have picked up since the half season tickets kicked in and if the oppo bring more than a busload we should average over 25k without even seeling too many on an match by match basis.

A positive result in front of a big crowd against Burnley could see us end the season with near full houses as Fulham, QPR and Derby are liable to bring good support.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Seems an appropriate time to bounce this as I believe Naylor is going to run an article about lack of Amex atmosphere in the paper tomorrow.

I firmly believe it is time to drop the 'cringe' and 'embarrassment' thing that many Brighton supporters seem obsessed by and realise that a LACK of atmosphere should make you cringe more than waving a flag or singing a song or anything else that you think is embarrassing.

* Get behind the songs even if they are a bit shit
* Keep the songs going, this is not a reason to cringe
* Waving a flag is not an embarrassment
* If we have a drum for ONE game then get behind it if your red face can handle such utter embarrassment
* Luzzing some ticker tape or bog rolls will not make us the laughing stock of other teams
* Sing in unison rather than being obsessed that your song is not the loudest
* Sing STAND OR FALL not going up as that is the words of the song, on the screen and the club anthem

Good enough rant?

This.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This appears to have been remedied for the Burnley game. I think the lower ST number is main factor in the reduced figures as the match by match prices are still too high in my opinion.

I agree with this. We dropped a fair few season-ticket holders at the end of last season, not surprising after such a dismal campaign, and I'm sure I'd be picking and choosing my games very carefully if I didn't have a season ticket and I was faced with match-by-match ticket prices.

Regardless, it's now time to #FillTheAmex again, and see what the team can achieve with capacity crowds roaring them on.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Terrible idea imho, although I too like listening to Aspinall I just don't support this idea. As a conspiracy theory of sorts, Aspinall also works for the club still I think? What price he was asked by someone 'upstairs' to make the comment to test the water? Wouldn't surprise me. Would also be a little coincidental if Naylor is writing something too.

For what its worth I visit the Amex rarely. I think the atmosphere is excellent. A noticeable reduction in noise from the West Upper is all I can really say I have noticed. I do see a lot of games on TV out here and every time we are on the commentators mention the excellent atmosphere. I think we are way ahead of most clubs in our division.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Tue. 15/03/16 v Reading 23,418

Was that week half term week in Feb 2014??

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
No balloons for me. Crisp packets blowing across the pitch were a distraction for me.

Will the seats behind the south goal be available for home fans vs Burnley?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
His words 'The germans do it, it gets the atmosphere going'. We need to stop worrying about cringing and embarrassment at the Amex and worry more about raising an atmosphere.

Thoughts?
I think Warren spends too much time on NSC.

Yes, it's a bit rich coming from me, but I don't commentate on Albion games, I'm allowed (or some such bullshit).

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ask a neutral fan if Selhurst Park or the Amex has a better atmosphere? I hate the fact that we all know the answer to that.
I still don't want a drum or shitty goal music.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I firmly believe it is time to drop the 'cringe' and 'embarrassment' thing that many Brighton supporters seem obsessed by
I agree with most of what you go on to say, but disagree about dropping the 'cringe' thing, as dropping that means we get goal music, and I would die a little inside if we got goal music.

a LACK of atmosphere should make you cringe more than waving a flag or singing a song or anything else that you think is embarrassing.
I've no problem with flags (although swinging scarves seem good enough) and obviously people should sing?

* Get behind the songs even if they are a bit shit
* Keep the songs going, this is not a reason to cringe
* Waving a flag is not an embarrassment
No problem with that.
* If we have a drum for ONE game then get behind it if your red face can handle such utter embarrassment
Meh. I don't want a drum, but I'd sing along if people were singing to its beat.

* Luzzing some ticker tape or bog rolls will not make us the laughing stock of other teams
* Sing in unison rather than being obsessed that your song is not the loudest
No problem with that.
* Sing STAND OR FALL not going up as that is the words of the song, on the screen and the club anthem
AGREED. Can sing 'going up' when it's mid game etc, but before the game starts, it's Stand or Fall.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Could we hire Black Lace to sing 'Do The Conga' from up on the 'Shelf' every 8 minutes, and the whole stadium takes part, whilst singing along? Would be a bit of fun, and also give multiple vantage points of the game as you conga around the stadium.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree. Having visited every ground in this division bar Burnley I cannot recall any decent home atmosphere's other than Derby for the playoff second leg (nowhere near as raucous for this season's league fixture).
The home crowd at MK Dons was pretty good.

EDIT - no wait, they were the away fans.

Last edited:

leejos92

Apr 17, 2015
I think the problem would be that it is likely the drum would be brought along by someone who already makes a lot of noise, so would it really increase the atmosphere in areas of the Amex which already seem to be the most quiet? Or would we end up with large sections of the crowd just listening to the drum, like they do the songs. Only everyone joins into the occasional ripple of 'Aaaaalbiooonnn'. If we want to create a better atmosphere we need to encourage everyone to join in, I think a drum would further isolate the noise. Having said that - it's worth a try

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports