Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Aspartame

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Think there’s definitely something in this although I understand you need to eat it in quite large volumes for it be be dangerous. Either way protest to try to avoid

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Aspartame is now regarded by WHO as 'possibly carcinogenic to humans' group 2A.

In this group is also pickled vegetables, aloe vera and radiomagnetic fields (eg mobile phones).

In group 2B - 'probably carcinogenic to humans' - there is red meat and air pollution amongst others.

Aspartame is not ideal, but even if it has some links with cancer, it is probably better for most people than sugar is.

Probably best avoid fizzy drinks altogether if one takes their health incredibly seriously.

Last edited:

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
I touched on this subject in the fizzy drinks thread. I'm mildly allergic to aspartame and some of the other artificial sweeteners so I have been avoiding this poison for years. The story of how it was made legal to consume in the US (and therefore the rest of the world) is pretty outrageous. Blame the utter canute that was Donald effing Rumsfeld.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
health scares seem like music, we're now recycling those from the 80's and 90's.

My philosophy is to consume a broad, diverse diet, with all things in moderation.

I don't feel there's any point in avoiding certain things because they might be carcinogenic. Life's too short. You could spend your whole life avoiding certain foods believing they're bad, only to find out in 20 years time that the alternatives you have been eating are actually even worse.

If I fancy a diet coke, I'll have a diet coke. If I want a steak, I'll have a steak. If I started drinking 5 diet cokes a day, or having a steak every night, then that might be asking for trouble... but even then, I'd probably be fine and die of something unrelated anyway.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Aspartame is now regarded by WHO as 'possibly carcinogenic to humans' group 2A.

In this group is also pickled vegetables, aloe vera and radiomagnetic fields (eg mobile phones).

In group 2B - 'probably carcinogenic to humans' - there is red meat and air pollution amongst others.

Aspartame is not ideal, but even if it has some links with cancer, it is probably better for most people than sugar is.

Probably best avoid fizzy drinks altogether if one takes their health incredibly seriously.
I've got into making water kefir, amazing stuff and lovely to drink. Sugar consumed by the kefir grains, so not a sugary drink - left with a mildy fizzy tartish probiotic drink. Absolutely lovely, cheap and easy to produce and good for you.

Molango's visa

Molango's visa
Sep 7, 2007
London, UK

Just thought this would be interesting to post, as for me personally, I'm more aware of what I eat and drink, in regards to cancer.
Not really that surprised to find its in a lot of food and drink we consume.
I have always avoided it. Have had some heated discussions about this with the normally clean living Mrs V.

Jul 7, 2003
I avoid drinks with aspartame as it seems to act as a diuretic for me.

I like the ‘ Green’ Cola and Orange drinks which are made with Stevia.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
No, that's fructose.

thats the sugar in fruit.
correct ...

As a Type 1 diabetic I have to know my carbs - essentially all the '...ose's
Sucrose = sugar
Fructose = fruit
Lactose = milk / dairy
Maltose = potato / grains / cereals etc.
Glucose/dextrose = base molecule for all natural things sweet

I'm not sure any of these are especially addictive in the true sense like other things [alcohol, drugs, gambling, smoking, sex?].
But we consume them [in excess] because they are actually nice/tasty [for most].

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
No, that's fructose.
Do you mean high-fructose corn syrup?
That's another one that is diabolical but aspertame was on Panorama recently on their episode about ultra-processed food and it's potential links to type-2 diabetes and heart disease.

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
My mate said this to me at the weekend as I drank a diet coke in the pub. If there is some link then fair enough but sounds quite vague or unproven still.

I said to my mate, you're drinking a pint of lager and alcohol is a proven carcinogen in the same category 1 as asbestos and radiation, causing at least 7 different cancers. That soon shut him up about the tenuous link for my diet coke.....

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
We are all going to die...... :angel::angel::angel:

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
Corrode teeth enamel like nothing. Unless you're happy forking out for big dental bills down the line best avoided, Aspartame or not.
A lot depends on your teeth. I'm lucky to have strong teeth (lucky twice over, dentist prices being what they are) and had my first check up for 6 years recently. No action needed, although l drink a lot of fizzy pop.

As for cancer, with the vast amount of the stuff that's been swallowed over the last 50 years, if they still can't prove a link, then any increased risk must be absolutely tiny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here