Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Asking for ID...

SB005

WSU is my home
Jan 12, 2008
Angmering
Not the most exciting of stories, but I wonder what the clubs policy on asking for Id is....probably not this:

Was in wsu early, so no queue, asked for a pie & pint, the girl asked me for id, at 26 I have no problem with being asked as they may have a policy of asking ppl looking 25. Having not needed it before, I said no, I haven't. So she said "ok....don't worry abouy it then, strongbow was it?"

Now I'm not complaining as I got my beer, but surely that's not how it works??

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Not the most exciting of stories, but I wonder what the clubs policy on asking for Id is....probably not this:

Was in wsu early, so no queue, asked for a pie & pint, the girl asked me for id, at 26 I have no problem with being asked as they may have a policy of asking ppl looking 25. Having not needed it before, I said no, I haven't. So she said "ok....don't worry abouy it then, strongbow was it?"

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

Nah, you shouldn't of been served, but I'd imagine they could clearly see you weren't under 18 so just served you.

Deanbha

Mar 27, 2008
Living in the real world.
I have been asked once before. I was buying a pint and had my 5 year old son next to me saying ''daddy daddy can i have some crisps''. The girl just then turned around and got my pint. Cheers son!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I would definitely complain. Ask for a Strongbow and end up with beer. What is the world coming to?

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Nah, you shouldn't of been served, but I'd imagine they could clearly see you weren't under 18 so just served you.

They carry out the 'under 25' policy so she should not have served him.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
Yes, as I said :facepalm:

Did you? You said they clearly didnt think he was under 18 so served him but I'm saying the woman shouldn't have done that because they operate the under 25 policy. Don't make me look like a dick mate.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I was asked for ID, had come from Gatwick so had my driving licence which was surprisingly accepted (seeing as its laminated paper...); not been asked for ID anywhere else for YEARS.

Seems to be some over-paranoia, or at least an attempt at it.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If asked for ID and you fail to provide I would assume your not ment to be served?

Correct , you're buggered because once you've asked for ID you cannot reassess knowing that on the off chance it could be a test purchase (even if the person is over 18 BUT under 25)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Not at the Amex, but I got ID'ed buying a bottle of Guinness (a gift for someone, being as I'm teetotal) last year despite being 26, 6'4'', visibly tattooed and with 3 days with of stubble at the time.

I explained that I didn't have any (I don't drive, so no driving license, and didn't happen to have taken my passport to Sainsburys), the assistant said "oh well, never mind" and served me anyway.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Nothing wrong with asking for ID then going ahead and serving without sufficient ID in THIS case as you were over 25.

You should always stick to your guns, even if after a bit of thought perhaps asking for ID wasn't right the call, otherwise you end up looking like a bit of a dick.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Whats the easiest form of ID you can get? really not keen on carrying my passport around everywhere

Driving licence photocard ID , photo ID with the "PASS" hologram , plus Armed Services photo ID is acceptable.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Whats the easiest form of ID you can get? really not keen on carrying my passport around everywhere

Citizen card. Any ID with the "Pass" symbol on it is accepted nationwide. Costs £15.

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom

Provisional driving license. You don't have to actually learn to drive, just get the photocard and that's ID you can carry in your wallet. Then if you DO want to learn to drive a few years down the line you can too.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
I took my mate to the game yesterday, and he has a real baby face. He said I would have to get the beers in, as he didn't have any ID on him. I said he would be fine, he was not even asked....

He doesn't look 18, let alone the 27 he really is. Not sure he is shaving yet.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

kip

Aug 2, 2011
I got asked for id at the local londis a few months back which I found quite funny as i'm 37..

Nothing wrong with asking for ID then going ahead and serving without sufficient ID in THIS case as you were over 25.

You should always stick to your guns, even if after a bit of thought perhaps asking for ID wasn't right the call, otherwise you end up looking like a bit of a dick.

I'm a bit puzzled by this, I work in an industry with a 'Think 21' policy and this is how it works:

If you have a 'Think21 or 25 or whatever, that becomes your benchmark, it is irellevent that the product you are selling is for 18 years+

therefore if someone can pass for 21 years old they need to show ID, (regardless of the fact that they look 18+) so if you are 22 or 23 and get ID'd its because you can pass for 21

now, if the staff serve a 19 year old although they are not breaking the law, if it is a 'test purchase' by the company in question, they can f*** you as you are now in breach of the company's think 21 policy, this could be deemed as gross misconduct and will get you the sack.

If a member of staff challenges you and then backs down, again, if this is a test purchase they will be out of a job.

I don't like the sound of this anymore than you do I'm sure, but trust me, people that work for the same company I do have lost their jobs and the union have been worse than useless in this area.

please can I ask the younger members on here to show a bit of understanding on this as 'guessing' someones age is not an exact science and staff's livelyhood is at stake

NB, i've looked it up, and stubble, tattoos or a child in a buggy are not acceptable forms of ID

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here