Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Cole

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Well, there's the 'nearly crashed my car' passage in his book when he heard that Arsenal had 'only' offered him an additional £5,000 per week (thereby bringing his wages at the time to £55,000 per week). I realise this wage hardly makes him unique in the top flight, but the insensitivity he displayed to the support which sustains him where he is was staggering, especially in a book - hardly something said in the heat of the moment, is it?

So if your boss told offered you a payrise of X and then when it came down it you actually got offered considerable less you wouldn't be pissed off? I know I would.

Then there's the unbelievable display of arrogance and disrespect to a ref who was trying to book him (Mike Riley I think?) when he turned his back on him and wouldn't turn round. Had I had the cards in my hand, he'd have (eventually) turned round to see a red one.

Shows that he gives a f*** and quite frankly if you want to watch players respecting the officials then go and watch Rugby. Milner had just come on who caused some bedwetters on here to go into meltdown on Sunday. I'm assuming you dislike him as well?

The 'he shagged her/didn't shag her' stuff I couldn't give a toss about, but his attitude to the game, and the fans, is part of him as a footballer, which I do care about. A decent player, certainly, though typically over-hyped and over-rated merely because of his nationality, but worthy of recognition? Only in the growing pantheon of top-flight wankers to have played during my lifetime.

If you don't give a toss about it why bring it up? This country is celebrity obsessed so much so talentless bints like his ex-missus can become super stars simply by marrying a footballer and/or sleeping with Simon Cowell.

He's a wealthy young man who is one of the best in the world at what he does, I'm sure he's got a massive house and several top draw cars. He can and does have the pick of stoats has he not earned the right to be a little bit arrogant.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I like him. I think the dislike is mainly jealousy of his lifestyle. I don't even think my opinion is affected by the fact that I really hate Cheryl Cole.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What has he achieved precisely?

Champions Leagues winner, 3 premier league titles, 7 FA Cups, half a dozen or so other cups, twice UEFA team of the year are noteworthy.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
So if your boss told offered you a payrise of X and then when it came down it you actually got offered considerable less you wouldn't be pissed off? I know I would.

I earn a normal, living wage - less in a year than he earned in a week, even back then, and do not go bitching about my 'misfortune' in a book bought and paid for by the same people who help put him in a position to earn that much in the first place. If I was offered a pay rise at all I'd be pretty happy, but if I was unhappy with the offer, I'd keep that stuff to myself, not bitch about it on the work intranet, on here or on my blog, for example. If he wants to whinge like a spoilt child, he should do so in private like most people.

Shows that he gives a f*** and quite frankly if you want to watch players respecting the officials then go and watch Rugby. Milner had just come on who caused some bedwetters on here to go into meltdown on Sunday. I'm assuming you dislike him as well?

I don't watch the sport just to watch players respecting the officials, but if them doing so actually pisses you off, as it seems to from the tone of your words, then I don't really see what you get out of watching football. I do watch rugby as well - thanks for your kind suggestion - and the attitude of the players to the officials actually helps the game. If footballers just shut the f*** up, played football and stopped trying to ref the game, the games themselves would be better. Personally, I prefer players to 'show they give a f***' by trying hard at football, and making a difference in the game. (I have no idea what you're talking about with Milner - your sentence doesn't make any sense, and I didn't see the games on Sunday. Sorry, old boy.)

If you don't give a toss about it why bring it up? This country is celebrity obsessed so much so talentless bints like his ex-missus can become super stars simply by marrying a footballer and/or sleeping with Simon Cowell.

Err, because that's one of the things being discussed in the thread. Sorry if part of my reply being pertinent to the thread title winds you up. I actually agree with your second sentence here, but was pointing out that this fact has no bearing on my view of Cole.

He's a wealthy young man who is one of the best in the world at what he does, I'm sure he's got a massive house and several top draw cars. He can and does have the pick of stoats has he not earned the right to be a little bit arrogant.

If he was a little bit arrogant, I think most people would put up with it. But he ain't, is he? That's kind of the point many of us are making. He has got a massive house, doubtless. He has got several top-drawer cars, doubtless. He doubtless does have his 'pick of the stoats'. These things are reason to be grateful for what the game's given you, not run around displaying your sense of entitlement like a south-American Generalissimo with a chestful of self-awarded medals.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Playing football for your school and being an ever present at left back might just mean that the rest of the lads in your year were absolutely cack!!! Had you excelled in the postion and went on to represent your country 100 times then we may well be lauding your achievements.!!!!!!
(p.s. Have you shagged any geordie popstars cause that might help??)

Paul Gascoigne? :safeway:

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
One poor passage in a book, and cheating on Cheryl - they're his main crimes. Universally disliked for that basically. Weird. There are worse things that happen.

He's an England legend. He has started every single one of his 100 caps - not many of the 100 club can claim that

I prefer him to that bitch anyway.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
One poor passage in a book, and cheating on Cheryl - they're his main crimes. Universally disliked for that basically. Weird. There are worse things that happen.

He's an England legend. He has started every single one of his 100 caps - not many of the 100 club can claim that

Good post

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Hold on, EVERY Ashley Cole thread has page after page of slating him for no apparent reason. I often point this out and get shot down.. Suddenly half the people on this thread are agreeing it's just a fashionable thing to hate him for no major reason?! Wow.

We'll try John Terry next who's main crime was having an AFFAIR tut tut

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
I like him. I think the dislike is mainly jealousy of his lifestyle. I don't even think my opinion is affected by the fact that I really hate Cheryl Cole.

HAHAHA I wake up every morning thinking at least I'm not Ashley Cole. And I couldn't give a rats arse about Cheryl plastic Cole.
Football wise he's a very good left back, but over-rated in terms of goals. He's solid and fast. I get more excited seeing Baines though, a monster going forward.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Playing football for your school and being an ever present at left back might just mean that the rest of the lads in your year were absolutely cack!!! Had you excelled in the postion and went on to represent your country 100 times then we may well be lauding your achievements.!!!!!!
(p.s. Have you shagged any geordie popstars cause that might help??)

At least 2 of these observations are accurate.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
I think that Cashley Cole used to be one of the best left backs in the world. However, I believe Baines should be our leftbck.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
I have no idea what his personality is like ... Ive never met the man. Ive never met Terry Cooper, or Tony Dorigo, or Stuart Pearce, or Phil Neville or any of the other England left backs down the years either. They could all be total bell ends for I know. So I base my opinion on Ashley Cole on hwat he does on the pitch like all the others. And he's been great.

OurPrice

Nov 22, 2012
Football wise, John Terry and Ashley Cole are both England legends. Ok so they have their personal life issues, but the vast majority of this is only an issue because of who they are, and the media jumps all over it creating a huge fuss over what in reality are very minor misdemeanours (the Anton Ferdinand issue aside). I think they both have been amazing footballers for England over the past decade, in a time when very few players have consistently performed.

This is a football forum, shirley that is all we should be bothered about in any case?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Made yourself look a bit silly there. How about bottling a bouncer, racist abuse on the pitch, laughing at Americans on 9/11? John Terry is a c*nt

How about re-arranging this sentance. In. Tongue . Cheek.

Made yourself look a bi... oh f*** it, nevermind.

- - - Updated - - -

Made yourself look a bit silly there. How about bottling a bouncer, racist abuse on the pitch, laughing at Americans on 9/11? John Terry is a c*nt

Laughing at Americans on 9/11? Didn't know that one. Or the bouncer one. But that's mainly cos I don't take much notice tbh.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wasn't aware that so many people on here knew Cole personally.

Is it possible I'm the only Brighton fan who doesn't know Ash, and how he lives his life?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Him and Scholes were the only genuinely world class player of the "Golden Generation."

Few people in the world have marked Ronaldo better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here