Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes One-on-One from BBC

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/9034811.stm

Any of the "my granny could have scored it" types want to revise their opinion?

Great run to lose his man and a briulliant back heel from Dicker, so he was through on goal. Big defender closing him down from his right so took the shot early. Gave the keeper a chance but a good save never the less. Not even really a one-on-one as I understand it. 1-on-1 is where there is no defender near and the player is through with just the keeper to beat. If Ashley had taken a touch and tried to go round the keeper, the defender would have been on top of him.

So describing this - and the subsequent chances which were all probably harder - as sitters is a joke analysis.

Attachments

• 1on1.JPG
    1on1.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,536

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
No my opinion is still the same, he should've done better with that one. I've seen a few people saying the keeper made a good save but really if the forward does it properly in a one-on-one situation the keeper has no chance.

Having seen it again he hit it too early, that is actually a difficult chance from that distance as it's a narrow goal with the keeper on the 6 yard line. He should've taken another touch, preferrably to the left to open up an angle between him and the keeper and take himself away from the defender. Easy save for the keeper there.

He does much better with his other two chances, the second one was a great save and he was unlucky to hit the post.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
İbrahim Tatlıses;3725003 said:
It was a sitter and he should have buried it, he hit it straight at the keeper.

Seriously? You really think that? He was 17 yards out and hit it first time. You have very very bloody high standards if that's a sitter.

Billy - if he had taken a touch, even off the the left, would the defender have had time to get involved? Maybe. If so, how can that be called a one on one. It is clear shot on goal, but surely not a genuine one-on-one?

This is how I picture a one-on-one goal. Clear of the defenders. Genuinely only the keeper and the striker involved.

[yt]Phv0dhXVMUQ[/yt]

Jul 25, 2003
Saltdean
Surely the main message of the highlights is that Barnes is getting into great scoring positions, has a bit of self belief and looks like he's going to score. No striker puts every chance away. Good to see him confident rather than worrying about those that don't go in.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Although i dont agree with all of the stick Barnes has been getting, you can't argue with the fact that he could and should have done better with this chance. i'd bet you barnes himself would say the same thing.

he's a good player and i really hope he bangs in a ton of goals for us this season and shuts up the moaners.

dingobruce

Oct 21, 2009
SE4 9UL
OK. Fair point. A good opportunity which the striker failed to bury - without doubt. But was it a sitter? Was it really a one-on-one? I don't think so.

Not a sitter, but a good chance. I'm not knocking him, after all he got himself into several excellent goal scoring opportunities. If he can start burying them more frequently we'll have an excellent striker on our hands. He's still young and I'm sure he'll improve this aspect of his game.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Billy - if he had taken a touch, even off the the left, would the defender have had time to get involved? Maybe. If so, how can that be called a one on one. It is clear shot on goal, but surely not a genuine one-on-one?

True. I don't wan't to look like I'm slagging him off because that's not my intention. All I'm saying is that a better striker in this division is burying those chances and getting 20+ goals a season because of it. We've plcked Barnes from plymouth reserves at the age of 20 so mabye he's not going to score every chance he gets, I just wonder if it'll cost us points in the end by not having someone more clinical.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
That's not a sitter but he could have done better.Sitters are missing open goals this wasn't.It's a very good chance.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
OK. Fair point. A good opportunity which the striker failed to bury - without doubt. But was it a sitter? Was it really a one-on-one? I don't think so.

Yes and yes. That defender is never cutting him off if he takes another touch.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It's a great feeling being top though.Two things that concern me.

1) Are we peaking to early?

2) Are the winter months going to effect our pasiing game when pitches become bogs? Poyet isn't a man for direct or long ball is he?

humpy

Mar 13, 2006
worthing
Surely the main message of the highlights is that Barnes is getting into great scoring positions, has a bit of self belief and looks like he's going to score. No striker puts every chance away. Good to see him confident rather than worrying about those that don't go in.

is the correct answer...............ffs we are sitting top of the league and yet still some so called supporters want to do nothing more than have a go at one of OUR players, yes lets constantly criticise him so that when he gets in those situations again he has no confidence of taking the shot for fear of missing and incurring the wrath of the oh so experts on here.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
Well, we were right behind him (in the family stand), and I feel there was a lot of goal to aim at. It's not easy, and my granny wouldn't have scored, but you've got to expect your no. 9 to put it away. I'm not having a go, though, like.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Yes and yes. That defender is never cutting him off if he takes another touch.

No but it gives the keeper more chance of closing down the angle,Barnes was right to hit it from where he was.

Football - easy to play at the keyboard.

Heartwarming highlights, 3 points, top of the league and a young striker who I suspect will get lots of goals this season, before too long it will come right and he will score a hatful - he did actually score on Saturday, could we perhaps be satisfied with that??

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here