Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashley Barnes - Enough is enough......

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Barnes will continue starting for us for us (and in the wrong position) for as long as Gus is our manager. Unfortunately, the two appear to be inextricably linked.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I'll shorten that for. He's shit.

But he is not shit, that's the problem it's just that he is not a midfielder or defender he is a striker and should be playing up front with the bonus to support the defence when needed. Therefore people look at him playing in his lost, jack of all trades position and say what a shit striker and there is an element of truth as he spends most of the game covering for others deficiencies. stick him up front and I am convinced he could deliver but at the moment we seem to be obsessed with playing a 1 9 1 formation. Would people say bridge is shite if Gus starts playing him as a striker when his defending suffers.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Barnes will continue starting for us for us (and in the wrong position) for as long as Gus is our manager. Unfortunately, the two appear to be inextricably linked.

2012-13 (Attacking alternatives: CMS, Dobbie (getting used to the system/fit) Hoskins (injured), Agdestein)
Started 13 out of 14
Taken off 3 times.
Came on as a sub 1
Not used 0

2011-12 (Attacking Alternatives: CMS, Paynter, Vokes, Agdestein) (Hoskins - injured and loaned out)
Started out 41 of 53
Taken off 6 times
Came on as a sub 9
Not used 3 times (suspended for 3 games for red v Burnley)

2010-11 (Attacking Alternatives: Murray, Wood, Holroyd, Sandaza, Agdestein)
Started out 38 of 55
Taken off 18 times
Came on as a sub 11
Not used 6 (Not sure about how many were suspension related, got 8 yellow cards that season, but I wasn't tracking which games they came in at that point, though I did highlight when others were unavailable and none of his are highliighed like that)

2009-10 (Attacking Alternatives: Murray, Forster (though there was that falling out), Holroyd, Dickinson, Davies)
Started 4 out of 9
Not taken off when starting.
Sub 4 times.
Not used 1

His being "undroppable" other than being technically wrong (he's been dropped once this season!), seems to be since we got to the championship, but I would argue that his seemingly being undroppable is more because of Gus's view of the alternatives. When dobbie (or lopez) starts to click I can see Barnes not getting as many starts in the same way that he would rotate Murray wood and barnes. I honestly don't think it's a thing where gus picks him just because he's barnes, jus that he's waiting for his new signings (or a new loan coming in) to start to click, until they do he has to stick with Barnes who on today's evidence and many of Mr Burns' posts that season (I'm thinking of the ones where his thread would be bumped after barnes scored and he would point out a goal doesn't mean he played well) seem to suggest even when he isn't performing his knack of being in the right place at the right time can lead to goals.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
But he is not shit, that's the problem it's just that he is not a midfielder or defender he is a striker and should be playing up front with the bonus to support the defence when needed. Therefore people look at him playing in his lost, jack of all trades position and say what a shit striker and there is an element of truth as he spends most of the game covering for others deficiencies. stick him up front and I am convinced he could deliver but at the moment we seem to be obsessed with playing a 1 9 1 formation. Would people say bridge is shite if Gus starts playing him as a striker when his defending suffers.

Well if he doesn’t want to be labelled useless or utter shit then all he has to do is say: Gus, I can’t play there, it’s not my position and would like a proper player who can play that roll. f***ing easy really.

Bit like me going to work and no bricklayer has arrived and asking me to lay bricks, haven’t a clue but give it a go as to keep everyone happy then the foreman arrives and says, who the f*** layed these bricks.

Get the proper profession in to do their jobs, that’s what they’re paid for instead of getting people to do jobs they are incapable of doing.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
only player to score ........in what is it 5 matches
even the saint Peter Ward had some shite games and scored
PLEASE GET A GRIP WE ARE IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP AND AT THIS MOMENT 9TH

No need for the cap letters. I've watched Brighton for over 38 years mainly as a st holder and all that time many away. I dont need to get a grip. If you witnessed that live today and many of the recent games you don't need much genius to realize how poor Barnes is.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

He ain't great!

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
And If Barnes left and went to another team and started scoring hatfuls of goals the same people moaning about how bad he is would then be demanding that he was re-signed or gus dropped a bollock in letting him leave. Like i said on another thread without his goal today it would have been another defeat becaue the other 9 outfield players never had the nous to be in that position.

100 % this.

A young player who scores 20 goals to help fire us to promotion is our top scorer in our first season back at this level and outscores a £3m pound signing.

Ash has a nack of being in the right place at the right time, you cant teach that.

I have no idea whyt the lad gets so mush stick, people either don't like his face or know nothing about football.

He's often at the centre of what we do because he's a good player and does not hide. Where are all the so called better players scoring the goals etc?

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
100 % this.

A young player who scores 20 goals to help fire us to promotion is our top scorer in our first season back at this level and outscores a £3m pound signing.

Ash has a nack of being in the right place at the right time, you cant teach that.

I have no idea whyt the lad gets so mush stick, people either don't like his face or know nothing about football.

He's often at the centre of what we do because he's a good player and does not hide. Where are all the so called better players scoring the goals etc?

The best post I've seen in the last week.

xollob

Jun 9, 2012
Brighton
Really?

He has played 11 games this season, scored 3 times from 19 shots and also has 2 assists

Zaha who is currently valued at £43 trillion and is apparently responsible for anything good that happens to Palace has played 11 games, scored 4 times from 19 shots and has one assist

Last season Barnes scored one in every 5 shots, this season it's about one in every 6 (so far)
Last season CMS scored one in every 6 shots.

I don't think he's doing that bad.

SINGING AYE AYE ASHLEY BARNES God I Love him and anyone who says he's shit should wank in his sock while listening on the radio while posting this garbage

xollob

Jun 9, 2012
Brighton
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
100 % this.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: WELL SAID THAT MAN :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

BrightonBiatch

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton, United Kingdom
100 % this.

Keyboard warriors quick enough to slag him off, Then loving the bloke when he saves our arse.....pathetic
well said Barnham Seagull your obviously someone who attends the games and takes in what Ashley actually contributes to the squad and how we would struggle alot more if he wasn't with us :cheery:

Last edited:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Keyboard warriors quick enough to slag him off, Then loving the bloke when he saves our arse.....pathetic
well said Barnham Seagull your obviously someone who attends the games and takes in what Ashley actually contributes to the squad and how we would struggle alot more if he wasn't with us :cheery:

I go to games matey boy and I will tell you what he contributes, disruption , inconsistency and failure.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I go to games matey boy and I will tell you what he contributes, disruption , inconsistency and failure.

He gave the ball away so much yesterday but people will still say he should be in the starting 11 because he scored one of the most flukey goals ever. I rate Barnes but he should be dropped for a couple of games or just played as a striker.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
I still wonder if Barnes' detractors would feel better about him if he was blond, smiled a lot and took extra effort to be last off at the end of each match while giving us all a big round of applause for our marvellous support.

To me CMS is just a culpable for missed chances, poor first touch and distribution but he doesn't get half the stick Barnes does - during the game especially. ALL of our players should be supported and NONE should be booed are jeered like Barnes does by a fair few of our so-called supporters.

Barnes is a good young player, he scores goals and works hard for the team in a position he would probably not choose to play in. He's moody, doesn't smile, he's aggressive and he's more likely give some stick back (the cupping his hands to ears celebration being one example) than totter around like a Championship Roy of the Rovers lapping up the applause for his efforts.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
I still wonder if Barnes' detractors would feel better about him if he was blond, smiled a lot and took extra effort to be last off at the end of each match while giving us all a big round of applause for our marvellous support.

To me CMS is just a culpable for missed chances, poor first touch and distribution but he doesn't get half the stick Barnes does - during the game especially. ALL of our players should be supported and NONE should be booed are jeered like Barnes does by a fair few of our so-called supporters.

Barnes is a good young player, he scores goals and works hard for the team in a position he would probably not choose to play in. He's moody, doesn't smile, he's aggressive and he's more likely give some stick back (the cupping his hands to ears celebration being one example) than totter around like a Championship Roy of the Rovers lapping up the applause for his efforts.

Or you could just say he spends most of the game sitting on his backside with his arms in the air.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I know it is debated constantly but surely this thread is proof that Barnes is the player who has divided opinion the most? He just must be...

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Extremely harsh on CMS there.
I think that I comment on Barnes by what I witness rather than who is my favourite player.
If he plays well, I am delighted (the Chelsea friendly if my memory serves.) and I will say so.
I have never booed him at a match.
I only watched the live stream yesterday, I was not at the game but can you explain to me on that performance, what reason there is for him to be a regular starter? Or next week against Leeds, see what percentage of passes find there intended target or wether he really does offer a lot more in defence.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Ashley needs to up his game and hit a couple in off CMS's backside to re-ignite the wee fella's season. Or maybe he could try the same trick with Dobbie.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Extremely harsh on CMS there.
I think that I comment on Barnes by what I witness rather than who is my favourite player.
If he plays well, I am delighted (the Chelsea friendly if my memory serves.) and I will say so.
I have never booed him at a match.
I only watched the live stream yesterday, I was not at the game but can you explain to me on that performance, what reason there is for him to be a regular starter? Or next week against Leeds, see what percentage of passes find there intended target or wether he really does offer a lot more in defence.

I wasn't suggesting he has should not ever be dropped or that he had great game yesterday. I was merely raising the question of wether personality has something to do with the fact some of our fans seem to go to games ready to moan about Barnes. Others seem to at least be given a chance.

Oh, and by using CMS as an example, I wasn't suggesting he is also worthy of being labelled shit.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
The best post I've seen in the last week.

Absolutely third this. In league 1 Barnsey scored a bundle and could have scored more. In Champs last year he was our top scorer. Not a gifted footballer. Dodgy first touch. Sometime wayward passing BUT has a knack of scoring. And f*** me this team that we love is not blessed with ANY of those apart from Barnes. Play him up front with someone and he'll probably miss a few, misplace some passes - but more than anyone else he'll probably knock one in off his shoulder or knee.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here