Ashley Barnes a great young player for us

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Barnes was really unlucky tonight, like the team. He's been a key part of our good finish this season - good lad.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
who posted that stato about his penalty record? It's near enough perfect. The boy's a good-un.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Had the balls to take the penalty? You try taken a ball of a pit bull.

Yet another fuckwit troll with English as its second language. At least make the effort to make your shit understandable you f***ing moron.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Unlucky Ash tonight. Great young player and clubs leading goalscorer gives 110 per cent every game and a great manager like Gus always picks him

Ashley Barnes :albion2::albion2::albion2::albion2:

My only issue with Barnes is his diving. Other than that he's had a good season for us again.

ctt111

Sep 22, 2011
Did anyone else notice CMS being held back from Barnes just before the pen, obviously wanted to take it himself. Stupid thing to do everyone knows Barnes is pen taker, doesnt need that extra pressure on him from a team mate before taking a massive pen.

Knotty

Feb 5, 2004
Canterbury
I don't blame Barnes at all for the penalty miss - the best players in the world miss one occasionally and his pen record until last night was impeccable.

However ... I simply can't agree with those who say he had a good game. I thought, along with CMS, he had a poor game. They were our strike force but were unable to capitalise on the chances created by our good approach play. Not entirely their fault, of course, becuase Reading defended well.

I just don't see the quality that some are giving him credit for. He works very hard but, in my opinion, doesn't have the skill to match it. Too often his first touch and/or control are poor. And I wouldn't say his passing is great, either. He is someone that many want to like and I think this blinds them a little to the reality. I've seen " He's young, he'll improve" mentioned many times, but there is absolutely no guarantee of that and just as many go backwards as forward at his age.

I'd love to see him go on to be a top quality striker and he might but, at the moment, I have my doubts.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It pisses me off how much stick and abuse Barnes gets on here and at the ground. He is playing in a position that people don't seem to comprehend (he is not a centre forward) and he gives his all every time. Despite this, he is still top scorer for us this season (not forgetting the 20 from the last).

He's back defending, he's supporting Vicente and Navs in the middle, he's creating and scoring chances up top.

I don't want to sound mean, but CMS receives way less stick despite being in shit form, not being able to touch the ball, pass it, shoot or ultimately score - All of which Ashley can and has been doing all season. The contrast in comments when ash and CMS do the same thing wrong is amazing:

"unlucky Craig" "for f*** sake Barnes"

For me, he's been our player of the season and I don't want him driven out by the "fans" constantly on his back.

Rant over

Spot on. I don't want to use it as a reason to give CMS stick but Barnes has been FAR the superior player of the two this season.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I've not bothered to read what other posters have said, because NSC had become a 'Ashley Barnes' love-in the last month and people get VERY stressy if anyone dares to criticise him.....but I thought he was pants last night.

Two good clearing headers from their corners (by the way, just how good were Harte's deliveries from set pieces...very impressive) and a cross inside the box second half which CMS should have buried but scuffed on his weaker foot.......but the rest was forgettable. As normal

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
Wasn't his best game last night but he was still influential. Gus is right that a lot of people, dare I say those who have never played the game, miss or don't understand much of his contributions. Barnes is integral to the way we play and is another player who is only going to get better. One of my very favourite players of the past few seasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports