Ashes - draw=win but why?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
Why if we draw the series overall should we 'retain' the ashes?

As a win tonight will guarantee we can't lose the series therefore retaining the ashes, will there be a celebration from the players even though we could still draw overall?

I think it's bollocks. A draw is a draw, we share the ashes till next time. This isn't the USA.

I won't be satisfied unless we win overall.

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
You are talking bollocks. You have to win back the ashes, end of. If you can't do that you don't get your grubby little convict hands on them. Not that you do anyway because we don't trust the convicts enough anyway!

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
You are talking bollocks. You have to win back the ashes, end of. If you can't do that you don't get your grubby little convict hands on them. Not that you do anyway because we don't trust the convicts enough anyway!

Neither

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Correct.

And it's not 'winning' it's 'drawing' yet 'retaining'. If we draw the series we don't win it we just retain the ashes

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
I'm sure the England team will be aiming to win the series.

But until then tonights result will mean we will make sure that the aussies don't win the ashes back .

murphy's law

Nov 24, 2008
You are talking bollocks. You have to win back the ashes, eFnd of. If you can't do that you don't get your grubby little convict hands on them. Not that you do anyway because we don't trust the convicts enough anyway!

Neither side should have them then!

Neither

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Neither side should have them then!

Neither

Of course they should. Do you realise the history of the Ashes.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
A draw retains the Ryder Cup.
The trouble is with cricket you can't guarantee an outright winner over a match or a series.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This question is a bit like asking: why are two teams playing so many matches just to win some powdery residue?

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Why if we draw the series overall should we 'retain' the ashes?

As a win tonight will guarantee we can't lose the series therefore retaining the ashes, will there be a celebration from the players even though we could still draw overall?

I think it's bollocks. A draw is a draw, we share the ashes till next time. This isn't the USA.

I won't be satisfied unless we win overall.

Huh? It's a competition between two sides. There's one trophy. One side has to hold it at any one time. It's up to the other side to WIN it back. If they lose or DRAW, the trophy stays where it is. Note that hard to grasp.

There's no comparison with US sport.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surely the US of A would carry on playing until someone had won the series? They certainly would not accept a draw after 5 days of competition.
No they would change the rules make the stumps higher and add a 4th or 5th stump to make it easier to hit or similar. In most sports a draw means the team that has the trophy or in boxing the man who holds the title keeps it.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
The original poster is obviously a disgruntled convict!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
All hypothetical, we will win the series anyway.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports