Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ashamed to be an Ablion fan today

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Where do I start ???

I think for the first time I can ever recall I was ashamed to be an Albion fan today. This performance was so far off the radar for acceptable performances it did not register.

We were a laughing stock across the length and breath of the UK for those who did not turn over to Diagnosis Murder after 10 minutes.

It was a pitiful performance, bereft of any skill , passion, commitment or endeavour. If this is what the players do under Wilkins management he should go now. I feel sorry for Dean as he is an Albion stalwart and has done great things for the youth team but he is hopelessly out of his depth. This is a carbon copy Hinshelwood scenario both good guys but thrown in the deep end with no legs and no life jacket. Wilkins as I said before 1 game does not have the tatcical nous or contacts at this level. What is so annoying is that we already had the right man for the job in place with Wilkins 2nd in comand. This was the right set up.

If DK bowed to fans wishes he made a cock up. I love DK , he is an Albion hero and DK and Bamber are the 2 greatest chairmen this club have had but we need an experienced manager and McGhee was that man. I am just very sad and angry, not only paying £ 900 for 2 st on the basis McGhee was staying for the season as he would have got us to the play offs at least but then giving the job to Wilkins was plainly the wrong decision.

The target this season is now to finish 20th but judging by the last 2 performanes, the 2 worst back to back performances I can ever recall Wilkins is taking us down.

I was actually ashamed and embarrassed to be an Albion fan today and I don;t think I have felt that before.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Things were going OK with McGhee in charge and Wilkins as backup, learning his trade. We lost to some decent teams, yet the fans who believe we have a divine right to be in the Championship, as we are a huge club with the best fans in the land (shhhhhh) forced his hand(?). Although that is debatable.

We would not be in this sorry state if we had kept things the way they were.....

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
McGhee took us to within 10 seconds of 3 wins out of win, we lose 3 but 2 of those games were Forest away and Bristol City away, 1st and 2nd in the league and we won the cup game. Totally senseless.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Uncle Spielberg said:
McGhee took us to within 10 seconds of 3 wins out of win, we lose 3 but 2 of those games were Forest away and Bristol City away, 1st and 2nd in the league and we won the cup game. Totally senseless.

Very true. Even the result against Crewe could be deemed as unfortunate. They are a very good side and we were reduced to ten men.
Having said that - we have struggled with Reid. He was essential.

With him - 12th - 16th place

Without him....:down:

Last edited:

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
BarrelofFun said:
Things were going OK with McGhee in charge

That's clearly not true - you can argue about whether he might be doing better now, but you're kidding yourself if you think McGhee's position was anything other than totally untenable ... he'd lost the crowd, and the players were hardly giving their all for him.

There's no way he could have kept his job.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" you can argue about whether he might be doing better now, "

:lolol: how could he possibly do any worse

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
McGhee should never have been shown the door and that is as clear as day.

FalmerforAll!**

NSC's Most Intelligent
Oct 26, 2005
Burgess Hill
I was thinking this as I came out of the ground,one of my mates turned to me and said "The sad thing is,there are so much better things I could be doing" and its true.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Repugnant Toad said:
he'd lost the crowd, and the players were hardly giving their all for him.
Seems the same could be said for the cuurent manager. I think Wilkins had more votes for OUT than MM ever did.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Repugnant Toad said:
That's clearly not true - you can argue about whether he might be doing better now, but you're kidding yourself if you think McGhee's position was anything other than totally untenable ... he'd lost the crowd, and the players were hardly giving their all for him.

There's no way he could have kept his job.

True in some respects. But he didn't deserve to lose the crowd. He was trying his best. We have a small, young squad and it was a miracle that we stayed in the Championship. He just needed some financial backing, as does DW to create a spine for this team.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Uncle S, there's probably more than a few old threads where you've felt the same but I understand your sentiments me old mucker.

It's dire out there, Withdean should come with a public health warning and currently gorging your eye out with a rusty spoon is only slightly less appealing. Who knows, next week it might be more exciting. Things are really bad, I really think they're on par (football wise) with the mid-90's; if Build a Bonfire 2 is being written, the story-line just has to be slightly twisted because the parallels are there. Best players sold off after succesful spell, the team becomes increasingly worse and looks to inexperienced youngsters (Mayo, Rust, Fox, Mundy etc), no money what so ever for investment, pass Archer's black cowboy hat to LDC, falling gates etc etc. The only thing that's constant is the fickle floating Albion support!

Could history repeat itself? I wouldn't bet against it. I for one just can't keep living this nightmare. I'm keeping my distance for a while and getting on with my house. Season-ticket holder or not. :nono:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
McGhee 7 games 3 wins 1 draw 3 defeats - sacked
Wilkins 8 games 2 wins 1 draw 5 defeats

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
BarrelofFun said:
True in some respects. But he didn't deserve to lose the crowd. He was trying his best.

I just feel it was the only way things were going to go; too many people were dissatisfied with him. I can't see that harking back to his reign is helpful now, as things only would have gone downhill.

Either way, it'll be a huge job to turn the club round now.

butchy

Jul 24, 2005
Bethnal Green, E2
hindsight is a terrible thing- maybe you bandwagon jumpers should have considerd things a little more carefully before you jumped onto the MM out wagon- who were you expecting to be appointed? kevin keegan? bobby robson? or maybe tempt venebles away from the england set-up?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
its not Wilkins fault but Knights, plain and simple no players, no money, no prospects

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have to be honest I am looking at some of the home games in thw Winter and thinking if its cold and drizzly will it be better to sit in the pub with my mates and a pint, it really is an ordeal and not pleasureable in the least. It was bearable when we had a side and a decent manager but now we have NO players and NO manager.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oh I made a spelling mistake how fecking hilarious :rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here