Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] As you get older

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If they had tears it was behind closed doors, not for the sake of the cameras.
And people wonder why there is a higher suicide rate amongst men now

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Maybe “your non Moroccan African” is excited for the same reason as others, it’s exciting, new, ground breaking and history making.

I may have mentioned on NSC before, a large part of my close family are from an African nation and I would say there was definitely a feeling of joy yesterday that Morocco made to the SF but it is very much ‘tempered’ (their words) with another African country coming bottom of their Group - they are Ghanaian you see! 😂 🙃

Ps Re- the thread -I watched Uruguay v Ghana with my Brother-in-Law who was very much close to tears when his team went out and spent 2 hours after the match on the phone to other Ghanaian relatives all over the globe remonstrating about the loss and I’m pretty sure there were some tears from someone somewhere for Ghana !

Last edited:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
And people wonder why there is a higher suicide rate amongst men now
I’m not going to argue over such a sensitive and serious issue but it appears that more men are showing their emotions and yet the suicide rate is higher. Let’s get some context here.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
My last England emotions were Euro '96, when I really thought we were going to win. Since then - even with the final last time, I wasn't over-excited nor distraught.

I've been thinking about this before - and I put it down to our travails in 1996-97. When you've been through something where your club could possibly have gone out of existence, let alone out of the league - I think it puts everything else (football-wise) into perspective. There will never be anything greater than us saving ourselves, and rising to the Premier League. I honestly never expected to see us there, and to see us matching and besting some of the big boys now is just amazing. But (aside from the Palace play-off match) I no longer feel down when we lose either. I think I still feel lucky we still have a team/club, and luckier still as to where we are.

And so, I can't get excited about England - there has just not been that deep emotional involvement.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
For me it’s unrelated to being jaded or worn down by it. Apart from 1990, I’ve just never been able to get that emotionally invested. An Albion defeat can impact for days afterwards, nothing I’ve ever remotely experienced with England. An Albion goal/victory has always given a high no England goal/victory ever could match.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Different people have different emotions. Men are allowed to cry.
Men or women, it’s amazing how many people ‘dry cry’ when a camera is pointed at them. It’s as if they think it’s the thing to do, become a habit. Like beer chucking supporters, all a bit pathetic and false really.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Men or women, it’s amazing how many people ‘dry cry’ when a camera is pointed at them. It’s as if they think it’s the thing to do, become a habit. Like beer chucking supporters, all a bit pathetic and false really.
Goodness, what a talent! You’re a mind reader.

SteveU

May 31, 2022
I’ve seen players crying on the pitch, so I think they care just as much.
It’s totally different and mainly for show.

It’s not about crying to show you care, it’s about doing anything on the pitch for the cause.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Yep. I was heartbroken as a child in 1990 and 1996, couldn’t care less about last night though. Even gave it a loud ‘weyyyy’ when the cheat skied his pen. My two young boys on the other hand were devastated.

I’ve never been a patriot like some but just feel absolutely nothing for England at all these days.

Last edited:

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I knew the result weeks ago. I just didn't know the score. No way was I going to watch us lose to the French. Only just found out the score.

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I think your perspective changes as you get older. The 66 WC Final was the first complete game of football I ever watched, I was 8. I thought England winning was the natural order. I was devastated by West Germanys come back from 2 down 4 years later and it has been mostly downhill ever since. I still want England to win every match (same with the Albion), but a lot has happened to me personally since 66 to recalibrate my priorities.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think as I get older I just less 'emotional' and more pragmatic. I didn't give much of a toss when the final whistle went and we were dumped out. I just shrugged my shoulders and accepted yet another defeat.

Italia 90 was the height of my 'England Emotion' and it's slid from there.

I get 10,000% more joy and pain watching the Albion.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think as I get older I just less 'emotional' and more pragmatic. I didn't give much of a toss when the final whistle went and we were dumped out. I just shrugged my shoulders and accepted yet another defeat.

Italia 90 was the height of my 'England Emotion' and it's slid from there.

I get 10,000% more joy and pain watching the Albion.
90s for me too. Since then, c’est la vie as the victorious would have said last night.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Italia 90 was the big one for me too, we had a great combination of genius and dependable players ..a solid defence, a midfield genius in Gazza and the best finisher in the tournament, Lineker..so sad to see us fail with that squad and manager.
Like a few have already said. Losing to West Germany in the Semis was the only time i have cried over a football match ( i was 10). We really did have a great side and should have won that comp. I'd say the same for Euro 96 too.

I definitely agree though that i am angry for about 10 minutes and then i just get on with it, completely unsurprised. The word i would use to sum up England against top teams, or in the quarters or later.... INEVITABLE.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Still hurts although I get over the disappointment much quicker now then when I was younger...more important things to worry about!

Don't remember 66, remember 1970 and every other tournament since, been fortunate to go to quite a few of them.

It's the hope that kills you.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I was lucky enough to be old enough to have enjoyed our one and only win in 66. Since then I have certainly been conditioned to lower my expectation, thereby quite enjoying any time we qualify for the finals, especially if we get through the group stages. You need a lot of stars aligning of you are going to win this thing. We had a chance this time but luck and referees were against us. I have learned to deal with it.

Saladpack Seagull

Just Shut Up and Paddle
As a 10 year old watching the World Cup Final in '66, I burst into tears as the West Germans equalised, as I'd been brought up to believe that we Brits were the best at everything! Obviously the dastardly Jerries hadn't read the script! Now, at 66, I'm still waiting for another England captain to lift the trophy (well, ANY trophy, really!). I long ago got over England getting knocked out of competitions, and don't let it affect my morale too much or for too long. Albion defeats are a different matter, but I'm not as bad as I used to be, when it would be on my mind till the next game (and potentially another defeat!). Now, I just think how much better things are for the club, with defeats in the Premier League being easier take than they were at the foot of the Fourth Division.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Peronally I think it's this tournament. It's been a fun watch but honestly I didn't want England's likely only WC win in my lifetime to be such a tainted tournament. I will be all in on the next Euros though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here