As a Palace fan...

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
It is, of course, too early to pass judgement but there are positive signs. I think the pace at which we are playing (and passing) is the key improvement. It has allowed us to create many more chances and take a lot more shots.

In terms of strength in depth, there is some decent evidence that we are much improved in that regard:

1. We have 2 senior or very promising players for every position.
2. Lat night's bench was: Maenpaa; Zamora; Ince; Manu; Dunk; JFC; Rosenior. That is a strong and experienced bench.
3. The reserve who came into the side last night won MoM.

To the OP, I am genuinely interested in how Palace fans have perceived the pros and cons of the EPL - ticket prices (home and away); TV match time shifts; less games etc. etc.

PG

Hey PG

Pros
Media coverage. MOTD, Papers, internet etc.
You can watch all games live via a stream.
Playing and getting one over on one of the big boys who expect to beat us.
Some clubs agree to decent away prices, e.g.West Brom £25. (btw Spurs is £35 for Sunday which I think is good for a London derby)
Less games on week nights, Weekends suit me better.

Cons
Very difficult to plan away trips in advance without there being a chance of the game getting moved.
Dreadful vocal support from some of the big teams. Prawn sandwiches and tourists.
Away tickets prices at some clubs. Chelsea £53 or £55, Man u £52, West ham £43, Liverpool £45, QPR £45 last season (wankers)
Half and half scarf sellers every week.

BTW great start by you boys, We are watching with interest!

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Fine margins.

But the certainty is that we need 0.128 points per game less than anyone else to win the league.

Are the margins that fine ?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Your basing all that on the form over 6 or 7 games though Icy. If we are 5 points clear in January then I would be gutted if we missed out. Until then as the old adage says, 'One game at a time'. We are on a good run but it's just so early at the moment.

This is very true but "you can only beat what is put in front of you" as the old adage goes and we have come out on top in two "top of the table" clashes even if they were very very early in the season.. I think mentality has a massive part to play. Yes of course it could quite easily turn to shit very quickly but I just have a gut feeling that this squad has much more character and grit than any we have had since we arrived at the Amex. Even under Gus we could be bullied out of a game, not sure that will happen any more and that characteristic is also essential for getting out of this division. The quality also seems to be there in abundance.

Sorry, I really am on a high with all things Albion at the moment and refuse to harbour negative thoughts, I had way too many of those last season :smile:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Hey PG

Pros
Media coverage. MOTD, Papers, internet etc.
You can watch all games live via a stream.
Playing and getting one over on one of the big boys who expect to beat us.
Some clubs agree to decent away prices, e.g.West Brom £25. (btw Spurs is £35 for Sunday which I think is good for a London derby)
Less games on week nights, Weekends suit me better.

Cons
Very difficult to plan away trips in advance without there being a chance of the game getting moved.
Dreadful vocal support from some of the big teams. Prawn sandwiches and tourists.
Away tickets prices at some clubs. Chelsea £53 or £55, Man u £52, West ham £43, Liverpool £45, QPR £45 last season (wankers)
Half and half scarf sellers every week.

BTW great start by you boys, We are watching with interest!

I totally get why you are loving the Premier League, you haven't had a single tonking since the first few games of your promotion season have you? Very disappointing from an Albion perspective and you have done too well for my liking.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
This is a good point actually that I hadn't considered. I suspect that it would suit a lot of our fans better (were it ever to happen).

Three Tuesday evening fixtures this season. Throw in a couple of Monday night TV games as well, It's not too bad though.

paulie

Jul 27, 2004
I totally get why you are loving the Premier League, you haven't had a single tonking since the first few games of your promotion season have you? Very disappointing from an Albion perspective and you have done too well for my liking.

Not even then - I think 3-0 is still the worst over 2 and a bit seasons, which frankly amazes me. In this time Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool have had at least one or two drubbings.

Jan 30, 2008
what about the other points he raised FFS:facepalm:
regards
DR

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011

1-4 Fulham
0-3 Newcastle

Add a few 3-1 loses ..but yes not too bad considering we have had a clown like Warnock in charge at one point.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Nice to see a thread containing many wise and thoughtful posts about where we are, specifically not getting ahead of ourselves. The Forest comparison from last season (and Albion in 2011/12) comparison is a useful antidote to getting over excited.

My favourites for auto promo are Boro, Burnley and Derby and they have all won their last two games. On a previous thread I showed how important Sept and Oct are to deciding auto promo (basically Bournemouth are the only side to have achieved auto promo in last 4 seasons without being at or very near 2 points per game in this 8/9 game period) so it is ominous that these three have started their move. Until we have seen the response when Albion concede first, lose a game, replaced one or both of Kayal and Stephens in starting line up, I shall reserve judgment on promo possibility.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
This is very true but "you can only beat what is put in front of you" as the old adage goes and we have come out on top in two "top of the table" clashes even if they were very very early in the season.. I think mentality has a massive part to play. Yes of course it could quite easily turn to shit very quickly but I just have a gut feeling that this squad has much more character and grit than any we have had since we arrived at the Amex. Even under Gus we could be bullied out of a game, not sure that will happen any more and that characteristic is also essential for getting out of this division. The quality also seems to be there in abundance.

Sorry, I really am on a high with all things Albion at the moment and refuse to harbour negative thoughts, I had way too many of those last season :smile:

That's all true and its all good. I desperately want Baldock to start banging them in though. If he does a Vokes then I think we can get near but the only negative I can find at the moment is when we have been on top for long spells - and that has happened in all our games so far - we have not been clinical up front. I don't expect Messi or Ronaldo finishing but that's my only concern so far. I don't even mind Hughtons changes to shore up a game at about 75 minutes, because he has given the side time by then to have wrapped things up and They haven't done so so he shores things up to get the 3 points. He isn't negative though. He gives the side every chance to attack. No I'm loving it at the moment but it is in my nature to be a tad pessimistic I'm afraid.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I had been thinking this as well, but wasn't there some turmoil at The City Ground last season, regarding owners, managers and impending FFP penalties. We seem to be a lot more settled both on and off the pitch, having learned the lessons of a calamitous season last season.

Not sure we'd remain in the automatic places, but the foundations have been laid for a very good tilt at the playoffs at the very least.

Not sure if my views count for anything on here, but I must say I'm impressed with Albion's new overseas signings, particularly Hemed (a centre-forward of the old school) and the German defender. The problem with Gus was he imported Hispanics largely, happy to play in good conditions but in my view suspect under pressure.

Your team this year has a good balance of British experience coupled with Continental determination and flair. This could be your season to go ahead, and stay ahead once you become "The Team To Beat". Runaway leaders do come unstuck (Look at Orient in Div.1 three seasons ago!) but it's better to have banked the points than not.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
bit part players caught up in the money merry go round ,people creaming themselves over paying over the top prices , yeah all to look forward to if that floats your boat??
regards
DR
I know you deny it but I never see you post anything that has the slightest hint of positivity in it, what's the point? If people want to get excited about being promoted, signing exciting new players and maybe regularly playing against some of Europe's top teams, why do you feel the need to put the boot in every time?

Gully Forever

May 9, 2011
What you need to remember is this, We had a good pre-season and it's showing,
On top of that, I really believe CH when he says we are still going to improve as the season progresses!.

If that's true, Then the other teams will always be playing catch up with us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No. A 1 in 4 chance is 3/1. The bookies are offering 5/2, but obviously that includes their profit, so maybe 3/1 is fair, which is a 1 in 4 chance. So The odds are well against us being promoted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports