Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Arundel Bypass - Another delay

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The M27 isn't set in, around and through the stunning South Downs.

No but the A27 is and my point is that once you are a mile away or so from a Motorway you don't notice it. Used to live close by the M23 and suffered more noise from Gatwick takeoffs. The A27 could and should have been upgraded with minimal Junctions so whether or not the South Downs are stunning (which of course they are) makes no odds. Pointless argument of course, have been down here over 25 years and not seen a meaningful road scheme that has improved matters...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
No but the A27 is and my point is that once you are a mile away or so from a Motorway you don't notice it. Used to live close by the M23 and suffered more noise from Gatwick takeoffs. The A27 could and should have been upgraded with minimal Junctions so whether or not the South Downs are stunning (which of course they are) makes no odds. Pointless argument of course, have been down here over 25 years and not seen a meaningful road scheme that has improved matters...

That to me is key.

We should be able to travel across the south of the country considerably better, by car.

In much the same way we should be able to travel in the south of the country considerably better, without a car.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
That to me is key.

We should be able to travel across the south of the country considerably better, by car.

In much the same way we should be able to travel in the south of the country considerably better, without a car.

Absolutely the problem with the M25, should have had cardinal point intersections and been used to move people around London (and also get them to LHR) rather than the rat run on/off situation it is now. Possibly the most hateful piece of tarmac in the world, will be very glad never having to suffer it once I'm retired.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
The only thing a dual carriageway at Arundel will do is to make Chichester and Worthing even more unbearable.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The problem with the A27 is roundabouts . . . . Slip roads and miniroundabouts with over/underpass is the way to go to keep traffic flowing.

England lead the world . . . .150 years ago, trouble us the worlds changed quite a bit since then and we're still operating on the same infrastructure to move around the country by rail, the road network is a patchwork quilt, hundreds if not thousands of years old, the motorway network is 1960's and the population has doubled since it was conceived. THere's no simple or cheap answer, Unless there's wholesale change in the way the country is managed . . . . That certainly won't be happening in any hurry!

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
The Arundel by pass will never be built.
It's been spoken about for decades and in all that time all they have achieved is to find a ' preferred route '.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's been spoken about for decades and in all that time all they have achieved is to find a ' preferred route '.

In think it's unlikely as well. Every option is too problematic and too easily challenge able to get through the planning process.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

You say that, but I cannot tell you how many times the A259 bypass between Bexhill and Hastings was on and off over the years.
All that talking was just hot air.
It finally was built......:thumbsup:

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
You say that, but I cannot tell you how many times the A259 bypass between Bexhill and Hastings was on and off over the years.
All that talking was just hot air.
It finally was built......:thumbsup:
They 1st spoke about the possibility of a by pass back in 1980.
40 years later they have found a preferred route.
I wouldn't hold your breath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here