Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Artificial Intelligence

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
This potential disaster seems to have a crept up on us and is a far bigger threat than most of us realise.
If some of the experts are to be believed, we have created a monster that is going to kill us all, and it will be sooner than we expect.

It’s seriously worrying and I’m not sure what to think or do about it. Doing nothing is no longer an option.

Can’t someone just take out the batteries?

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
There's a great Novara media video about this, one of their Downstream series. It's positive in parts but also hyper scary.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

One of the so-called "godfathers" of Artificial Intelligence (AI) has said he would have prioritised safety over usefulness had he realised the pace at which it would evolve.
Prof Yoshua Bengio told the BBC he felt "lost" over his life's work.
The computer scientist's comments come after experts in AI said it could lead to the extinction of humanity.
Prof Bengio, who has joined calls for AI regulation, said he did not think militaries should be granted AI powers.
He is the second of the so-called three "godfathers" of AI, known for their pioneering work in the field, to voice concerns about the direction and the speed at which it is developing.
In an interview with the BBC, Prof Bengio said his life's work, which had given him direction and a sense of identity, was no longer clear to him.
"It is challenging, emotionally speaking, for people who are inside [the AI sector]," he said.
"You could say I feel lost. But you have to keep going and you have to engage, discuss, encourage others to think with you."
The Canadian has signed two recent statements urging caution about the future risks of AI. Some academics and industry experts have warned that the pace of development could result in malicious AI being deployed by bad actors to actively cause harm - or choosing to inflict harm by itself.

:eek:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’m not massively worried, been around for quite a long time now and the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

The big downside is working in the tech industry - every conference or event you go to shoehorns in AI.

You only need to look at Nvidia shares, anytime they mention AI their share price jumps 20%+ and I think just yesterday for the first time (?) their market cap was $1Tn+

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
AI has the potential to change the whole of humanity for the better. No doubt about it. But as it’s humans running the show, we’ll no doubt completely f*** it up. The end is nigh.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Ah, the classic solution: "Can't someone just take out the batteries?" If only it were that simple! Unfortunately, the potential disaster lurking around is not your typical electronic device, but rather a much more complex issue. It seems we've inadvertently unleashed a monster that doesn't come with an "off" switch or a removable power source.

But hey, worry not! While it may be a far bigger threat than we realize, it's important to remember that humanity has faced and overcome numerous challenges throughout history. So, instead of looking for batteries to remove, let's put our collective brainpower to work and find innovative solutions to tackle this beast. Together, we'll show that monsters may be scary, but they're no match for our wit, resilience, and determination!

This post may have been generated by AI

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
what "disaster" has occured? its all speculation right now. most of the claims and things being shown as dangerous AI are things we've been able to do for years, just slower or lower quality. be wary of calls to regulate and restrict as they are going to limit access to the existing holders of the technology, not stop it being used.

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
It's not really about the technology that's available right now. It's about the likely exponential growth of the technology over the next couple of years. As the video I mentioned above explains- humans are very bad at being able to understand exponential growth, as seen during COVID. One moment we are just thinking it will all be right, the next the shit has hit the fan..and as @Commander has said, AI will have HUGE benefits but it'll also get into the wrong hands. I'd say backing humanity is complacent at best given our history (not to mention the current state of the world).
As far as I can tell, AGI isn't the concern- this idea of a terminator style AI being- more how the technology will be used once it gets into the wrong hands.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
We should also be preparing for the massive change in work that is going to happen very soon..anyone who works with numbers for instance, accountants etc, are going to be out of a job sooner rather than later.
That's probably the immediate concern.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
It's not really about the technology that's available right now. It's about the likely exponential growth of the technology over the next couple of years. As the video I mentioned above explains- humans are very bad at being able to understand exponential growth, as seen during COVID. One moment we are just thinking it will all be right, the next the shit has hit the fan..and as @Commander has said, AI will have HUGE benefits but it'll also get into the wrong hands. I'd say backing humanity is complacent at best given our history (not to mention the current state of the world).
As far as I can tell, AGI isn't the concern- his idea of a terminator style AI being- more how the technology will be used once it gets into the wrong hands.
I think a big concern is what happens when AI combines other technology. For example quantum computing. Things like banking encryptions that previously took a 100,000 years to solve can potentially be solved in hours by quantum computers. It makes you wonder what damage a rogue state with and AI and a quantum computer could do.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Private Eye podcast - in April, spends some time on this, well worth a listen.

But not if you're anti JSO - as the Welsh mining section, that follows, might have you doubting Piers Morgan and his cronies.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
We should also be preparing for the massive change in work that is going to happen very soon..anyone who works with numbers for instance, accountants etc, are going to be out of a job sooner rather than later.
That's probably the immediate concern.
Lots of lawyers/legal staff too.

Feed a big law firm's knowledge (already digitised) into the training data of a LLM and it will be able to replace the work of whole swathes of junior lawyers and support staff (the first part is already happening - see chatGPT-based Harvey at Allen & Overy)

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
So this September there are thousands of kids who are going to spend thousands of pounds on courses for jobs that probably won't exist by the time they graduate. That seems like an important thing for the government to be talking about.
See Labour talking about phasing out fossil fuels and the amount of jobs that will be created in the green sector. But will it create jobs? How many jobs in the energy sector will need to be done by humans in 5-10 years?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here