Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article: Last night's visit to Southend was all a bit retro, wasn't it?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Last night was all a bit retro, wasn't it?

The trip to Southend was like stepping back in time, in so many ways.

If you've not been to Roots Hall in fifteen or twenty years, I can assure you it hasn't changed a bit, in fact I'd go so far as to say they don't appear to have given it so much as a coat of paint in that time. The away end remains vaguely reminiscent of a pre-renovation Pissfield, though the toilets are- very marginally- less horrific. The locals were as warm and caring as ever, and I was impressed to note that it took a mere four minutes of the match for an enthusiastic contingent of Southend yoofs, huddled around their comedy drummer, to launch into a rendition of "You're just a town full of ******s". Haven't heard that one for literally several years, Shrimpers, as the rest of society- certainly at Championship level- seems thankfully to have moved on. I thought it was just the faded former mill towns of East Lancashire that were the last remaining bastions of anti-civilisation. Truly fascinated to learn that Essex has its own little pocket still. No wonder Farage & chums were so keen. As I walked back to the car afterwards, minding my own business & perusing the night's other scores on my phone, my lone Albion presence was noted by one such plucky yoof, who sent me on my way with a cheery "AND YOU CAN FACK OFF TOO, YOU FACKING QUEER! FACKING QUEER! GET AAAT OF OUR TAAAAN!". Which was quaint.

Also in the retro mood was Southend's number 22, who was sporting a pair of small, small shorts, the likes of which haven't been seen since George Michael was bouncing around the pool in Club Tropicana, along with a ludicrous hipster beard (which, to be fair, even George wouldn't have been seen dead with).

Keen to leave such depressing scenes behind, I reset the time in the DeLorean, and whizzed myself back to the future, where, curiously, I found myself at Roots Hall again, watching an Albion side plodding around the pitch aimlessly, giving away possession, lacking any sort of creativity, and with one feeble, isolated striker meandering alone up front, failing to create any worthwhile chances whatsoever. Thankfully, with only a minute left of added time, I realised my error: I'd mistakenly set the year to 2014/15. Thank goodness: I was able to correct my mistake and bring myself back to the current day. 2015/16 is so much better, isn't it?

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Talking of De Loreans, I've recently noticed that the final scene of Back to the Future is probably stolen from the final scene of Repo Man. Which was released a year earlier and is a far superior film.

This has nothing to do with Southend. Sorry.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
I don't blame you for not doing so obviously, very far from it, but theoretically couldn't you have nicked them for saying that?

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't blame you for not doing so obviously, very far from it, but theoretically couldn't you have nicked them for saying that?

I guess, but on my own, as a female, marked out as an Albion fan, him surrounded by all his Southend mates, and with no local police in sight, I opted instead to blow him a kiss and chuckle to myself as I walked on :)

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014

If you've not been to Roots Hall in fifteen or twenty years, I can assure you it hasn't changed a bit, in fact I'd go so far as to say they don't appear to have given it so much as a coat of paint in that time. The away end remains vaguely reminiscent of a pre-renovation Pissfield, though the toilets are- very marginally- less horrific. The locals were as warm and caring as ever, and I was impressed to note that it took a mere four minutes of the match for an enthusiastic contingent of Southend yoofs, huddled around their comedy drummer, to launch into a rendition of "You're just a town full of ******s". Haven't heard that one for literally several years, Shrimpers, as the rest of society- certainly at Championship level- seems thankfully to have moved on. I thought it was just the faded former mill towns of East Lancashire that were the last remaining bastions of anti-civilisation. Truly fascinated to learn that Essex has its own little pocket still. No wonder Farage & chums were so keen. As I walked back to the car afterwards, minding my own business & perusing the night's other scores on my phone, my lone Albion presence was noted by one such plucky yoof, who sent me on my way with a cheery "AND YOU CAN FACK OFF TOO, YOU FACKING QUEER! FACKING QUEER! GET AAAT OF OUR TAAAAN!". Which was quaint.

Also in the retro mood was Southend's number 22, who was sporting a pair of small, small shorts, the likes of which haven't been seen since George Michael was bouncing around the pool in Club Tropicana, along with a ludicrous hipster beard (which, to be fair, even George wouldn't have been seen dead with).

Keen to leave such depressing scenes behind, I reset the time in the DeLorean, and whizzed myself back to the future, where, curiously, I found myself at Roots Hall again, watching an Albion side plodding around the pitch aimlessly, giving away possession, lacking any sort of creativity, and with one feeble, isolated striker meandering alone up front, failing to create any worthwhile chances whatsoever. Thankfully, with only a minute left of added time, I realised my error: I'd mistakenly set the year to 2014/15. Thank goodness: I was able to correct my mistake and bring myself back to the current day. 2015/16 is so much better, isn't it?
Soundz like they woz just havin a bit of cheeky, cheerful cockney banter. Lighten up love!

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Unfortunately, having spent a fair bit of time recently in Southend and the surrounding areas, the majority of the locals can only be described as pond life. They're not even neanderthal.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Soundz like they woz just havin a bit of cheeky, cheerful cockney banter. Lighten up love!

Just having a bit myself. It was funny, particularly in light of the late mugging. Lighten up yourself, sweetheart.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Unfortunately, having spent a fair bit of time recently in Southend and the surrounding areas, the majority of the locals can only be described as pond life. They're not even neanderthal.

salt of the earth! do anything to you er for you I mean

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
The only place i've seen a geezer walk into a Pub with a Staffie and a Snake wrapped round his neck.Awful away end ,oh for the days of the splendid South Bank.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton

top post !!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I'm surprised nobody has posted about their visit to the gents post game, it looked like it was pitch black with no lights, thankfully I didn't need to use it then but did so pre game and it was the worst I can remember for many a season.

Come on what was it like in there after the game, who got a pocket full of pee.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
I'm surprised nobody has posted about their visit to the gents post game, it looked like it was pitch black with no lights, thankfully I didn't need to use it then but did so pre game and it was the worst I can remember for many a season.

I just can't imagine ………. maybe I've got a short memory.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Even in the black hole of Calcutta, I'm struggling to imagine how somebody could inadvertently wee in another person's pocket??

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Some of the Albion fans were calling their keeper a rent boy which is not keeping the moral high ground.
It is a bleak stadium and I like plenty of the smaller grounds.

gjh1971

May 7, 2007

great post, Edna. I took my wheelchair bound father to the match last night. The wheelchair facilities consisted of us sitting in the groundsmans hut , of which from I was given a plastic patio chair to sit on. Next to the corner flag. View was good though

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I guess, but on my own, as a female, marked out as an Albion fan, him surrounded by all his Southend mates, and with no local police in sight, I opted instead to blow him a kiss and chuckle to myself as I walked on :)

I suspect you wouldn't want the hassle of all that paperwork, opting instead to put as much distance between the land that time forgot, & civilisation. You'd feel sorry for the bloke with a brain the size of an amoeba, who can't tell the difference between a male & female.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Some of the Albion fans were calling their keeper a rent boy which is not keeping the moral high ground.
It is a bleak stadium and I like plenty of the smaller grounds.

This is true. I have mentioned that on another thread. As well as a "bender". As juvenile as any of the home fans. Been a long time (Southend, 2000/01, in fact) since I've heard "Where's your famous Essex slags?", which was also rolled out by some in our end last night. Agree. Not much moral high ground (even if they started it! They started it, Sir!).

Roots Hall is still a hovel though :thumbsup:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
great post, Edna. I took my wheelchair bound father to the match last night. The wheelchair facilities consisted of us sitting in the groundsmans hut , of which from I was given a plastic patio chair to sit on. Next to the corner flag. View was good though

I saw that hut! You could see the pitch forks from the stand behind the goal. It also appeared to double as the first aid shed, er, room :lol:

Shouldn't really mock them I guess. Not so long since we were in their shoes.

Ah, what the hell. It's a dump.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here