Article: In derision of the Albion naysayers

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Personally, I think this looks a super bit of business. If nothing else he takes up excellent positions and knows where the net is, even unfit those aren't skills you really lose.

A few thoughts though.

- I don't ever remember Bent being a particularly physical player. There's a few on here talking about him being a strong hold the ball up type, I thought he was more of a clever off the ball runner and had an excellent eye for goal.
- Those criticising the signing, you might be right but the risk/reward here is very tempting. He's a player that at his best would undoubtedly be one of the best strikers in the league. We are probably paying him 100k tops for the month to have a look. That's a fifth of O'Grady's transfer fee. If he does come off and enjoys it here, he's out of contract at the end of the season, so who knows. If he doesn't work out I'd hope we were still looking at targets for January.
- This starts to remove any excuses Sami might have. He's been supported, now it's up to him to get us up the table.

We've had a pretty good record with ex-England internationals in the Amex era. My gut feel is this one won't be any different.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Leeds Sign Bent

I hoping someone has something similar to this lined up

BK-xfhoCYAASvqn.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought the club were going to keep schtum on loans & transfers until after the signing, following Sammy Lee & Stephen Ward?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Torn on this - much like Bridge & Upson, if his legs and his heart are in it, then undoubtedly he's a very good player. Bit it's a big 'if'...whether his heart will be in a month-long loan, or his fitness still there having sat on his arse collecting £60kpw+ without playing this season. I'd say it's a calculated gamble and anyone even if he's completely unsuccessful, it'll still have been worth a throw of the dice on the basis of half a dozen games to get us through to January. And if it pays off - smashing, we'll be in mid-table just in time for the window to open and Tony to get his chequebook out and fund a Roy of the Rovers charge in the second half of the season.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
If it's only a short term loan then there's little risk - if he ends up being shite then we've not missed out too much -if he proves to have his head in the right place and proves to be an asset then it's great.

I'm still rather excited about this, I can't think how one couldn't be.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008
Baldock and Bent could be a very decent partnership.

People are still moaning about the quality...would you rather have Billy Paytner, Jonathan Obika & David Rodriguez back?!
Bent will score goals in the Championship...I believe that for sure. Look at Kevin Phillips impact at Palarse a couple of seasons ago...

Colunga and Bent would be better. One from EPL and other from La Liga. Whats not to like.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
+
Nothing to do with David Burke
Nothing to do with John Stephenson
Was originally identified by Gus Poyet

No, no, no, NSC hates Gus Poyet, for reasons no one is really sure of.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
If he is no good in a month he can go back, simples.
Just hope, at his age, he is not being looked at as a long term solution!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here