Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Article: Being Positive

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Following the tidal wave of negativity over the past three months and today's departure of Will Buckley, has anyone (aside from me) considered recent events could in fact be a very POSITIVE move by the club?

Let me explain my rationale:

Firstly, as a devoted fan of the Albion and it's greatest ever benefactor, it's inconceivable Tony Bloom will leave the club high and dry. Or that he would suddenly dilute his ambition for Premier League football, instead wallowing in the depths of League 1, the echoes of anonymous loanees bouncing off the 15.000 or so empty padded seats. Do fans really perceive him to be lacking in drive or ambition, unwilling to dip into his swollen coffers? The same guy who paid £93m to build the Amex Stadium? The same guy who has built one of the finest academies in the country, the same guy who, despite our relatively short return to the Championship has stumped up a wages bill far greater than the majority of our well established peers? Doesn't sound like a cheapskate. Ask yourself this question: if he didn't wish to pile his fortune into the black hole of top flight football, the why bother building the Amex in the first place? No-one is deluded enough to spend that kind of money in this sport and actually expect to build a viable, profitable business model. We all know football clubs are largely profligate vanity projects for rich kids. Or sheiks.

For a guy who has built his life and business around beating the guy next door (or across the card table), I can't ever see Tony Bloom, that most competitive of beasts, accepting second best or selling off the family silver. I'd say 'Bloom has taken the broom' and is cashing some chips to ramp up for another assault on the PL. I'd say neither Ulloa nor Buckley helped us reach the PL and their proceeds will further fund a new generation of Albion stars. Expect some big signings this year. if not pre September, then in January or next season. But don't expect the Albion dream to suddenly dissipate into a cloud of what-ifs and disaffection. To end up a broken club - or a Portsmouth.

Of course we can't ever discount the sale of the club. The stadium is shiny and new. They built it, they came. Good for us. But even if the boards go up, then I expect TB to broker a deal to safeguard our future in top flight football. No-one can dispute his credentials or credibility, his passion for the club. He's never reneged on a promise. Never lied or screwed us over. Why start now?

You can fire the insults, I'm not precious. But there's as much sense in what I say as the prophets of doom currently pedalling their misery on NSC.

Up the Albion. Always.

Very much hope that this is stop on. We will know by September - woudl like to know a good deal earlier than that!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Following the tidal wave of negativity over the past three months and today's departure of Will Buckley, has anyone (aside from me) considered recent events could in fact be a very POSITIVE move by the club?

Firstly, as a devoted fan of the Albion and it's greatest ever benefactor, it's inconceivable Tony Bloom will leave the club high and dry. Or that he would suddenly dilute his ambition for Premier League football, instead wallowing in the depths of League 1, the echoes of anonymous loanees bouncing off the 15.000 or so empty padded seats. Do fans really perceive him to be lacking in drive or ambition, unwilling to dip into his swollen coffers? The same guy who paid £93m to build the Amex Stadium? The same guy who has built one of the finest academies in the country, the same guy who, despite our relatively short return to the Championship has stumped up a wages bill far greater than the majority of our well established peers? Doesn't sound like a cheapskate. Ask yourself this question: if he didn't wish to pile his fortune into the black hole of top flight football, the why bother building the Amex in the first place? No-one is deluded enough to spend that kind of money in this sport and actually expect to build a viable, profitable business model. We all know football clubs are largely profligate vanity projects for rich kids. Or sheiks.

For a guy who has built his life and business around beating the guy next door (or across the card table), I can't ever see Tony Bloom, that most competitive of beasts, accepting second best or selling off the family silver. I'd say 'Bloom has taken the broom' and is cashing some chips to ramp up for another assault on the PL. I'd say neither Ulloa nor Buckley helped us reach the PL and their proceeds will further fund a new generation of Albion stars. Expect some big signings this year. if not pre September, then in January or next season. But don't expect the Albion dream to suddenly dissipate into a cloud of what-ifs and disaffection. To end up a broken club - or a Portsmouth.

Of course we can't ever discount the sale of the club. The stadium is shiny and new. They built it, they came. Good for us. But even if the boards go up, then I expect TB to broker a deal to safeguard our future in top flight football. No-one can dispute his credentials or credibility, his passion for the club. He's never reneged on a promise. Never lied or screwed us over. Why start now?

You can fire the insults, I'm not precious. But there's as much sense in what I say as the prophets of doom currently pedalling their misery on NSC.

Up the Albion. Always.

It's a popular view with me.

The other thing that I don't think people have mentioned (apologies if they have), is maybe Sami is the one deciding on the fate of the players that have departed. Goes completely against the "Sami's leaving" brigade, and could also be equally wide of the mark, but it's a consideration.

As mentioned before, it's the CLUB that needs the support - not the now-departed players. TB isn't a mug – he knows what he is doing. People, I think, just get a bit caught up with a few high-profile players leaving and begin to panic. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground on here.

Aristotle

Mar 18, 2008
Edinburgh
It certainly is true that we seem to be taking a different approach to things than most clubs. However, it is also clear how most clubs end up - shit or bust (literally). What's certain is that noone the club is currently negotiating with will have the slightest idea what the masterplan is, so won't be able to play games with it.

I back Tony to still be at the table, smiling, when the final cards are dealt.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Our first team was looking pretty old. Kusczack, Calderon , Greer, Upson, Bridge was the starting back four not too long ago.

It is unfortunate that in order to raise finance for new players we have to sell our better players. I would rather see the club do this than go Nottingham Forest Style and have a rich owner spend lots and lots on players.

Players like Stephens and Stockdale are in the prime of their careers physically and mentally. Most teams who get promoted have the majority of their players aged between 23-29. Look at Burnley and Leicester last year. They didn't have aging goalkeeper and centre backs. Or 30+ year old spanish wingers like Vicente and Lopez. Whilst great to watch you can't build a squad based on players who will only perform for a season.

We need to sign players who are consistent and capable in the championship. You can always add flair through the loan market with less risk.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Additionally be nice, for purposes of balance and impartiality, if one of the more vociferous fans currently feeling negative about things (no names, no pack drill) would respond to such a well reasoned and well constructed post.
There are, as we know, two sides to every story.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I daresay if- as Palace fans on that BBS thread seem to hope- that Tony Bloom viewed the Albion as merely a money-making exercise, to be flogged off to the nearest waiting Arab billionaire, he'd have knocked up the cheapest stadium possible, and either ignored or scrimped on a training ground rebuild, and spanked all his money on glamorous big name players in order to achieve the quick fix of Premier League football as soon as possible.

That he's taken the time, and made the investments to leave the club with one of the best infrastructures in the country, suggests to me he has a long term interest in making Brighton & Hove Albion the best it can possibly be.

Even if we have to endure a bit of (relative) short term pain in the meantime.

Edna, don't you mean "spunked" instead of "spanked"?

Up the Albion. Always.

Why would you not expect this view to be popular, it's pretty much the overwhelming majority view of the board. What I don't think you take into account is why faith in that viewpoint has eroded recently.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Our first team was looking pretty old. Kusczack, Calderon , Greer, Upson, Bridge was the starting back four not too long ago.

It is unfortunate that in order to raise finance for new players we have to sell our better players. I would rather see the club do this than go Nottingham Forest Style and have a rich owner spend lots and lots on players.

Players like Stephens and Stockdale are in the prime of their careers physically and mentally. Most teams who get promoted have the majority of their players aged between 23-29. Look at Burnley and Leicester last year. They didn't have aging goalkeeper and centre backs. Or 30+ year old spanish wingers like Vicente and Lopez. Whilst great to watch you can't build a squad based on players who will only perform for a season.

We need to sign players who are consistent and capable in the championship. You can always add flair through the loan market with less risk.

I'd add 'and don't have a history of being constantly on the treatment table' to that last para. We've had a few of those recently - Buckley for one!

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall

Up the Albion. Always.

:thumbsup:

Bridcutt - good money for someone who clearly didn't want to play for us any more
Barnes - didn't sign a new contract and £750k is better than him walking away for nothing
Ulloa - This must the best bit of outward transfer business we have EVER done, including Adam Virgo.
Buckley - Some won't agree but I reckon £2.5M for a player prone to injury is a good deal.

These are SHREWD bits of business by Bloom. When these deals are presented you don't say 'hang on, I want to see who we bring in first', you get it DONE.

The transfer window is still open and there will a number of Premier League players I'm sure, who will realise come 3pm on Saturday, that they do not figure in the plans of the manager.

I firmly believe that come the start of September, we will be saying the Chairman has had a BLINDER

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Up the Albion. Always.

How do you sleep at night with those dry sheets and no rubber lining?

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
The increase in popularity of NSC has been responsible for some of the more pathetic crying in the last month or so.
I just laugh and pity them.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick

Up the Albion. Always.

I agree with pretty much all that you have said. However, I do think that if we fail to get a few good players in before the window closes, we could find our selves in a relegation battle. The current squad is not competitive in this league. Buying players in the January window is never easy, so we need to bring in players before this window closes.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
Not quite sure what this bit means, if anything.

It means I don't know anymore about Albion's dealings within the sacred inner circle than the other 99.9% of the fans who post on here. So I'm not making any bold statements along the lines of 'we will sign six players next week, and sack the physio'. I don't know. I am saying: I'm certain some brow-raising signings will come, broadly in line with a chairman who has so far been anything but a penny-pinching charlatan so often depicted by the dramatic dames on here.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Not quite sure what this bit means, if anything.

Me neither. Mere details, obviously.

As the two blokes in Animal House say to each other when John Belushi's in the middle of a similarly well-intentioned piece of oratory: "Forget it. He's rolling."

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
:thumbsup:

Bridcutt - good money for someone who clearly didn't want to play for us any more
Barnes - didn't sign a new contract and £750k is better than him walking away for nothing
Ulloa - This must the best bit of outward transfer business we have EVER done, including Adam Virgo.
Buckley - Some won't agree but I reckon £2.5M for a player prone to injury is a good deal.

These are SHREWD bits of business by Bloom. When these deals are presented you don't say 'hang on, I want to see who we bring in first', you get it DONE.

The transfer window is still open and there will a number of Premier League players I'm sure, who will realise come 3pm on Saturday, that they do not figure in the plans of the manager.

I firmly believe that come the start of September, we will be saying the Chairman has had a BLINDER

When you put it like that, it does make sense. I for one totally agree.

I just trust Bloom to do the right thing in the end.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA

Up the Albion. Always.

I dont disagree with anything you say and i do not believe that there is anything planned about the current predicament that our first team squad finds itself in. What does bother me is that we are continuing to sell our greatest assets without finding replacements. None of the key players that left did so suddenly. Bridcutt, Barnes, ulloa and Buckley were known to be leaving for a long while and yet the recruitment team has failed miserably to ensure we have suitable replacements to take the club forward. Instead it appears that we are going to wait for the lottery that is the last few days of the transfer window...and that is just plain risky..and stupid.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Just to play devils advocate - I understand that Bloom has had a fair chunk of his investments returned by way of Stadium and Training ground sponsorship deals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here