Art teacher for North Staffordshire hospital.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
The University hospital of North Staffordshire,is set to employ an Art director at £32,000 per year. The idea seems to be to teach art to the patients so that they recover quicker !! The hospital has been reported both locally and national as one of the worse for MRSA and C/dif. :angry:

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
The University hospital of North Staffordshire,is set to employ an Art director at £32,000 per year. The idea seems to be to teach art to the patients so that they recover quicker !! The hospital has been reported both locally and national as one of the worse for MRSA and C/dif. :angry:

I think it's a decent idea, maybe £32k is hefty but if it makes some sick people happy then fair play.

Where I work, we are investing a lot of money into researching the links between music and healthcare, the results are very interesting (see the work of the Nordorf Robbins trust here, and my place of work here), so it's unsurprising that people are exploring the link of other artistic mediums in healthcare.

It seems a bit of Daily Mail story to be honest - I wonder how much money that HCT spends on fat lazy smokers and the like.

EDIT : just seen your other thread, that specifically references your reading of the Daily Mail!

Last edited:

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
No mention of mrsa or c/diff. However i am not convinced by this at all. :thud:

Would you consider yourself sufficiently knowledgable in that field to make a properly informed judgement? Or are you just proving yourself susceptible to the usual 'loony left' scaremongering story? Just asking. . .

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Art has actually been shown to be very beneficial - especially in dementia and alzheimers patients. I'd imagine the position is a manager / director job, which would cost that much nowadays.

Budgets for infection control and "wellbeing" would come under different budgets, so they aren't directing money away from anywhere.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I might apply, I'm a sort of artist.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Budgets for infection control and "wellbeing" would come under different budgets, so they aren't directing money away from anywhere.

Only dictated by the idiots that control the budgets. It's still NHS money.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
A fully qualified nurse who runs a ward of patients and staff gets around 21K so you tell me :shrug::shootself

I know I work for the NHS! Not on the clinical side mind.

But I have little sympathy for people who enter a profession, train hard and study to become qualified (whilst the whole time knowing what their realistic maximum earnings are going to be because the pay scales are national and published) and then complaining about their pay.

I might as well be a disgruntled paperboy because I'm never going to earn 80k a year.

See-Goals

DIIIIIIIIIIIIIVE
Aug 13, 2004
Seaford
Oh and a nurse who runs a ward and manages other nurses would be paid on a pay scale where the bottom point would be considerably more than 21k and would increment annually to the top point around 31k.

But then it's always easier to quote a random figure :thumbsup:

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Oh and a nurse who runs a ward and manages other nurses would be paid on a pay scale where the bottom point would be considerably more than 21k and would increment annually to the top point around 31k.

Come on, this is NSC. Never let the facts get in the way of a good moan !

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I know I work for the NHS! Not on the clinical side mind.

But I have little sympathy for people who enter a profession, train hard and study to become qualified (whilst the whole time knowing what their realistic maximum earnings are going to be because the pay scales are national and published) and then complaining about their pay.

I might as well be a disgruntled paperboy because I'm never going to earn 80k a year.

Too bloody right!

I deliver our parish newsletter and get £0 for doing it,but the Parish Council splashes out hundreds of pounds on rubbish like mowing the football pitches and keeping footpaths clear.

We paper delivery persons should have union support,and a 100% pay rise would help.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country

Thats very interesting because my girlfriend is a fully qualified nurse who is required to run her ward as an equivalent old E-grade and she earns 21.5K. But then you know better what random figure is printed on her pay slip than I do don't you? :rolleyes: :tosser:

You're quoting the pay scale of a ward sister but if you DID work on the clinical side you'd know that even though a ward sister is IN CHARGE of the ward thats not the same thing as RUNNING a ward for a shift.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
No it isn't.

The post is funded by the Arts Council. If the money wasn't spent at the University Hospital of North Staffordshire, it would be spent on another Arts project somewhere else.

No NHS funds are involved.

Fair point. I didn't read the full ins and outs of the story I just assumed it was the usual waste of funds :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports