Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Arsegas have pulled the Hammond article "Hammond hits back at Seagulls chairman"

dylan_bha

Sep 21, 2004
LA
Wonder why?

Here it is for those that missed it:
Albion's departed captain Dean Hammond has hit back at chairman Dick Knight over the reasons behind his move to Championship strugglers Colchester.
Hammond believes the Seagulls should have opened negotiations over a new contract much earlier.
The saga over the influential midfielder's future finally came to a close yesterday when Hammond was sold to Colchester for £250,000.
He had refused to sign a new deal with Albion and they felt obliged to cash in before the January transfer window closed last night, since he was entitled to a free transfer at the end of the season.
In a statement released by the club, Knight said: "We did everything possible to persuade Dean to stay, including turning down a £200,000 bid from Colchester at the start of the window, and offering him an extremely generous new contract with a get-out clause if we didn't get promotion this season.
"I'm sad that Dean is leaving but I'm afraid that his Bosman-free status at the end of this season, and the opportunity that offers agents and players, has seriously influenced negotiations over these past few months."
advertisement

Hammond views events rather differently. He wanted Albion to secure his future much sooner after passing an appearance-related clause which guaranteed him a new deal midway through last season.
He said: "I was owed a contract halfway through last season and no negotiations were taken up with me. I was told to wait until the end of the season.
"I was speaking to the gaffer (Dean Wilkins) regularly but maybe that didn't involve the chairman.
"If the chairman says negotiations were going on regularly then it may have been with the gaffer, because I spoke to him a lot, but maybe not the chairman."
With his own situation unresolved, Hammond was also frustrated by the way Albion's season began to unravel in December.
Bas Savage rejected a new deal and Hammond's midfield loan partner, George O'Callaghan, returned to Ipwich with a parting shot at Knight for dragging his heels in settling players' futures.
Hammond said: "In the summer and at the beginning of the season there was a buzz around the club with new players coming in, the gaffer having been in for a year and the younger players gaining experience.
"Just before Christmas we were in the play-offs, looking strong. Then things happened over Christmas which everyone knows about.
"Maybe if something had been done then we wouldn't be in the situation we are now."
Those accidental references to we', now that he is an ex-Seagull, are indicative of Hammond's feelings.
The 24-year-old from Hastings is hurt that his long association with Albion, right the way through the ranks, has been tainted by the acrimony surrounding his departure.
"It's been a difficult situation, put it that way," he said. "The chairman is going to say what he is going to say and do the best for his club but I am a Sussex boy and I've always wanted to do the best I can for the club.
"I think I always have, coming back from being given a three month contract to where I am now and being made captain. That is the greatest honour I've had in my career so far.
"I did not take leaving Brighton lightly. I've had a lot of sleepless nights.
"I don't think anyone can question my loyalty, because I have always done my best for Brighton.
"It's hurt me massively. Anyone who knows me knows I am honest, not just as a footballer but as a person.
"It has not ended how I wanted it to end. I wanted to play for Brighton in the Championship and build the club up with the new stadium but maybe that wasn't or isn't going to happen.
"It's probably the hardest decision I've had to make in my life. I've been here a long time, I know everyone at the club very well and they are a great bunch of lads but I have been given an opportunity which I probably couldn't turn down.
"I played in the Championship with Brighton before and loved it and very much wanted to play with Brighton again in the Championship but maybe that wasn't going to happen as soon as I would have liked.
"Colchester have given me that opportunity and I have taken it."

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The 24-year-old from Hastings is hurt that his long association with Albion, right the way through the ranks, has been tainted by the acrimony surrounding his departure.
Why doesn't the gobshite just keep his now better-paid mouth shut then instead of ringing up Naylor? What a COCK. BOOOOOO.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Why doesn't the gobshite just keep his now better-paid mouth shut then instead of ringing up Naylor? What a COCK. BOOOOOO.

probably just wants to get what he feels off his chest

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If anyone wants to read this apparently pulled article..

.. it's on the Argus website, under er.. The Albion

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Read: I wanted to screw more money out of the Albion earlier. I didn't get it, so I f***ed off somewhere else blah blah

Meanwhile Naylor nods, wanks cock, rings up Steven Purdew, wanks cock again

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Jeez what a load of whiney, self-justifying BOLLOCKS! It's like a lower-league version of the Ashley Cole story, or Gerrard wanting to leave Liverpool for Chelsea because he didn't feel 'loved' (or words to that effect). Liverpool stuffed his gob with cash to shut him up; I'm glad we didn't do the same with Hammond.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
In a statement released by the club, Knight said: "We did everything possible to persuade Dean to stay, including turning down a £200,000 bid from Colchester at the start of the window, and offering him an extremely generous new contract with a get-out clause if we didn't get promotion this season.
"I'm sad that Dean is leaving but I'm afraid that his Bosman-free status at the end of this season, and the opportunity that offers agents and players, has seriously influenced negotiations over these past few months."
advertisement

Hammond views events rather differently. He wanted Albion to secure his future much sooner after passing an appearance-related clause which guaranteed him a new deal midway through last season.
He said: "I was owed a contract halfway through last season and no negotiations were taken up with me. I was told to wait until the end of the season.

So, basically he was told to wait (along with everyone else presumably) but when the deal was offered his agent thought he could hold out for more. And the bit in bold is funny as he's going to be playing in League One for sure next season, while if he had stayed for a bosman or taken the offer, then he might have had a chance at Championship side in the summer. Bearing in mind that the transfer to colchester would have meant an agents fee but a bosman doesnt, the fact that he didnt just sit tight to the end of the season makes the case pretty clear.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Jeez what a load of whiney, self-justifying BOLLOCKS! It's like a lower-league version of the Ashley Cole story, or Gerrard wanting to leave Liverpool for Chelsea because he didn't feel 'loved' (or words to that effect). Liverpool stuffed his gob with cash to shut him up; I'm glad we didn't do the same with Hammond.

Exactly. He'll be writing his biography next...

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
The more of this type of crap I read from players the harder I find it to have any respect for them whatsoever.

Give me good modest professionals like Gary Hart and Guy Butters over gobby ego above their worth idiots like Hammond and O'Calaghan any day of the week.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
Hammond is moaning about not getting a new contract at the Summer but he just openly admitted he didn't talk to his BOSS (DK) about it.
I'm sorry, but if I was at work and wanted a pay rise I would go to the person that made these kind of decisions. Dean Hammond has lost a lot of respect from me after that. It just seems he just wanted to jump ship and grab as much money as possible.

He also pointed out it should have been sorted earlier.....well we offered him a new contract so why didn't he just sign? So what if it was 6 months later than he wanted? He says his loyalty is unquestionable (or there abouts) but i'm afraid that doesn't cut it with me.
If he expects me to believe he left because he wasn't offered a new contract last season then he must think we are all mugs.

Great player for us, no doubt, but I feel DK did the right thing getting rid of him. With that mentality he was going to leave in the Summer for sure so glad we cashed in on him.
See you next season Dean :bigwave:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I know its unlikely, but if we go UP and Colchester go DOWN, I will laugh my f***ing socks off.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
If he were serious about staying he would have spoken to Dick - end of...

Talk about trying to play a big boys game and failing...

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
So, basically he was told to wait (along with everyone else presumably) but when the deal was offered his agent thought he could hold out for more. And the bit in bold is funny as he's going to be playing in League One for sure next season, while if he had stayed for a bosman or taken the offer, then he might have had a chance at Championship side in the summer. Bearing in mind that the transfer to colchester would have meant an agents fee but a bosman doesnt, the fact that he didnt just sit tight to the end of the season makes the case pretty clear.

The club made it clear that if he didnt leave, he would not kick a ball for the club again.

When DK says it an attractive deal, it normally means for DK its an attractive deal !!

Negotiations should of started an age ago, but they didnt, Wilkins wanted Hammond signed up last Summer, but the Chairman doesnt support Managers in a professional way, he does it his way and when it looked like he had been rumbled he scampered about spending Tony Blooms money to appease the sceptics.

If all the new players come good, do you think we will be in a better position than before the Millwall game ??

We as fans are optimists and I hope so too, but its a massive gamble.

Would it of not been better to sign the current players that were actually playing well and successful at the time, rather than ship them all out and sign new players at some significant costs ??

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The club made it clear that if he didnt leave, he would not kick a ball for the club again.
Thats the second time I've seen you say that on here.

So I'll ask you again - WHERE did you hear this from ?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Thats the second time I've seen you say that on here.

So I'll ask you again - WHERE did you hear this from ?

I am sure that Hammonds agent might volunteer this information at some time.

He was threatened that if he didnt move ( or I guess not sign the deal on the table ) he would NOT play again for the club.

No I am not going to tell you where I heard this from ..... sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here