Argus watch: Labour's lord

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Argus is going about this methodically.

After yesterday's fine article by Matthew J that put the spotlight firmly on Sussex's Labour MPs, today it is Adam T's turn again.

A long piece on Lord Bassam and his lobbying attempts "Dear John, give us our stadium".

Bassam has sent Prescott a detailed letter "of several thousand words" going through everything, probs with Withdean, Hoile's piece of shit, Sheepcote Valley insania, degraded existing use of Falmer site, benefits to university, East Brighton economic benefits, community skills programme, referendum, petition, etc.

Maybe not quite as positive as Lepper's prediction of success, but Bassam clearly says to Prescott "Few will understand a refusal".

I think it is clear that whatever happens now, the local politicos have done their bit. Prescott does have all the right arguments sitting on the table in front of him. He can have been left in little doubt about the strength of feeling on the issue.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Has somebody been putting steroids in the Argus coffee machines?

After years of wishy-washy they've suddenly joined us in a big way! Not before time but at least they're doing their bit now and I welcome their support.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
I have two points to make here:
(1) It's all very well congratulating our politicos on their 'influence' but we don't have a decision yet. Bearing in mind the position in government of our Hove MP I was disappointed that the application was called in at all. If Ivor had any real influence it wouldn't have been.
(2) All of a sudden the Argus have started writing proper articles about Falmer (to coincide with their 'new look'). None of these articles have been written by a certain A Naylor. Consider.

I remember all my life
Raining down as cold as ice
A shadow of a man
A face through a window
Crying in the night
The night goes into

Morning, just another day
Happy people pass my way
Looking in their eyes
I see a memory
I never realized
How happy you made me oh Mandy

Well you came and you gave without taking
But I sent you away, oh Mandy
Well you kissed me and stopped me from shaking
And I need you today, oh Mandy

London Irish said:
Bassam has sent Prescott a detailed letter "of several thousand words"
I spoke with Steve Bassam at Wycombe. He had far fewer than "several thousand words" to say and some of them were not the sort of words that a politically correct person would put in a letter to the Deputy Prime Minister.

I was, however, left in no doubt that the other Lord B is on our side.

:)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Spiros said:
I have two points to make here:
All of a sudden the Argus have started writing proper articles about Falmer (to coincide with their 'new look'). None of these articles have been written by a certain A Naylor. Consider.

Naylor is a sports journalist, he reports on matches and player reactions.

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
Spiros said:
Bearing in mind the position in government of our Hove MP I was disappointed that the application was called in at all. If Ivor had any real influence it wouldn't have been.

Ivor Caplin is full of shite.

Lord Bassam is a genuine Albion fan, to be seen travelling to many away games with his son(?) - top fella.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
Simster said:
Naylor is a sports journalist, he reports on matches and player reactions.

Agreed - but he has penned a report or two about our stadium plans in the past. The point I was making is that the reports we are seeing now appear to be better researched, factual pieces rather than inaccurate or out-of-proportion scaremongering or speculation that we have seen in the past. For me this shows something of a change in editorial policy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports