Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus on Harty

pyi

Jul 24, 2007
Is BBC set to pull plug on Ian Hart?
5:00pm Tuesday 17th March 2009

Comments (3) Have your say »

By Ruth Lumley »

A sports pundit who was once suspended in a row over insulting disabled people on air is rumoured to be on the verge of leaving his radio show.

Ian Hart did not host his Brighton and Hove Albion football phone-in show on BBC Southern Counties Radio on Saturday night.

Instead it was hosted by comedian Stephen Grant. Posts on North Stand Chat, a Seagulls internet fan forum, have speculated that this could be Mr Hart s last season as a pundit for BBC Southern Counties Radio.

A post from one forum user said: "Getting the idea that this may be Harty's last season as the phone in host."

Another user added: "Harty is beautiful in his ramshackle, goingtosaysomethingincomprehensiblydaftanyminute way."

In November, Mr Hart and broadcaster Andrew Hawes, who has spent a decade commentating on Albion matches, were both suspended from BBC Southern Counties Radio after the pair used the term "windowlicker" on air, a derogatory term for a mentally disabled person.

The tasteless joke, made during a fans phone-in after a Seagulls match, sparked a backlash from disabled charities.

But both pundits were reinstated after the football club, Albion fans and charities gave them their support.

Mr Hawes announced on the radio a few days later that he was resigning and said it was time for him to try other things.

In February, Gordon Astley, who presented the station's 10am to 1pm slot, left the BBC but details of his departure were kept under wraps.

Angry fans of his show demanded an explanation for the presenter's departure.

Mr Astley is contracted to the BBC until April.

A spokeswoman for BBC Southern Counties Radio said Mr Hart had been on a day off on Saturday and that there may well have been rumours but that as far as she knew he would be presenting tonight's show.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Well, there's a story that's not saying much.

In a nutshell, Harty wasn't on Saturday's show, some people might think it's his last season, Harty was once suspended. Somewhere down the line those three facts may or may not be linked.

So where's the story?

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Sounds like a load of rubbish, as usual, to me.
Did I hear that SCR is to become BBC Sussex very soon?

Del Boy

Oct 1, 2004
I've just had to check the Argus really have published that, i though it was a wind-up on here!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Sounds like a load of rubbish, as usual, to me.
Did I hear that SCR is to become BBC Sussex very soon?

Yes you did. No actual change to the service - Sussex/Surrey breakfast, drive and sport and everything else across both but I guess they want to sound more local with the naming.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
You've all missed the most important part of the story,Gordon Astley has left his show without an explaination! Who is Gordon Astley ? & what's his connection with Harty having a day off on saturday? Two questions that need, nay DEMAND, answers!!

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
You've all missed the most important part of the story,Gordon Astley has left his show without an explaination. Who is Gordon Astley ? & what's his connection with Harty having a day off on saturday? Two questions that need answers!!

Gordon Astley was the presenter after breakfast, I've no idea why he's left but SCR was highlighted in the last RAJAR (listening figures, basically) as one of if not the worst-performing BBC local radio station in the country. And believe me they are comically over-staffed compared to every other radio station round here.

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
I was taking the piss you know. I don't really care who he is.

Last edited:

Gordon Astley was the presenter after breakfast, I've no idea why he's left but SCR was highlighted in the last RAJAR (listening figures, basically) as one of if not the worst-performing BBC local radio station in the country. And believe me they are comically over-staffed compared to every other radio station round here.
Over-staffed?
not on the technical side surely! It always sounds like its coming down a couple of cans iva a piece of string...........

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You've all missed the most important part of the story,Gordon Astley has left his show without an explaination! Who is Gordon Astley ? & what's his connection with Harty having a day off on saturday? Two questions that need, nay DEMAND, answers!!

Oh, you'll love this then

Gordon Astleys world of Graphology

wp22c8421b.png

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
A post from one forum user said: "Getting the idea that this may be Harty's last season as the phone in host."

Another user added: "Harty is beautiful in his ramshackle, goingtosaysomethingincomprehensiblydaftanyminute way."

Who said that? Own up!:lolol:

Edit: Mr Banana said the latter. You are now famous! (Perhaps not):bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here