Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argus - Murray, Hoskins and Buckley ?

nevergoagain

Jul 28, 2005
nowhere near Burgess Hill
Argus this morning is carrying the story that Gus is planning for life without Murray but further down mentioned we are still in the lead to get Hoskins for about £500k + Add-ons. Also mentions that we've had a bid for Will Buckley from Watford turned down, not seen his name mentioned previously.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
A bid for Buckley? ??? That's ambitious! Liking the sound of that, if true (despite that it's been turned down, obviously). He was one of top young players in the Championship this past season I recall (before he got injured anyway). I believe John Stephenson was responsible for bringing him in at Watford, so I imagine that one would have been on his recommendation.

Last edited:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Argus this morning is carrying the story that Gus is planning for life without Murray but further down mentioned we are still in the lead to get Hoskins for about £500k + Add-ons. Also mentions that we've had a bid for Will Buckley from Watford turned down, not seen his name mentioned previously.

If we believe most of the posts in the long Murray thread, Gus has been planning on life without Murray the whole of this year. Failure to offer a contract in January effectively sealed that for us (not that Murray would have accepted, mind)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oooh! Exciting... getting those 2 in would definitely more than compensate for Muzza's likely departure...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Why bring Bennett into this? We need another winger...

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't think so, I suspect Buckley would be brought in if Gus knows KLL is staying up north! Could see Noone coming off the bench a fair bit next season.

The argus says that although he's been used wide this season, buckley's preferred position is central striker so it might have nothing to do with our wing men.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Doubt that NUFC have made there minds up about KLL yet, Bennett off would seem more likely.

Or we are building a squad? Going by the Argus report Buckley prefers to play up top and Bennett is not seen as a winger by Gus anyway. From those two names Gus is going for pace up top which can only be good

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
One of the directors here is a Watford fan. Here's his take on Buckley:

" Maverick winger who goes on mazy dribbles, beating countless members of the opposition that go absolutely nowhere, before distributing the ball to a non existant team member in the stands. Has pace and is a trier and occasionally terrorises opposition but is too erratic and mercurial to be trusted to be in the starting lineup every week.

I like him because you never know what might happen - however it is the law of diminshing returns with him. Maybe one outstanding game in ten. Rarely lasts the 90 minutes either.

Hmmm. Think I'd prefer us to focus on landing KLL.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Or we are building a squad? Going by the Argus report Buckley prefers to play up top and Bennett is not seen as a winger by Gus anyway. From those two names Gus is going for pace up top which can only be good

Ok, I haven't read the Argus report so didn't realise he's a striker - the Watford paper only refers to him as a winger.

Gus Poyet last night admitted he is planning for life in the Championship without Glenn Murray.

But the Albion boss was still awaiting confirmation his out-of-contract top scorer is leaving the club.

Murray, whose 22 League One goals helped the Seagulls to the title last season, is expected to kick off the new campaign with Crystal Palace.

Poyet had admitted he wants ed a decision from the striker and that Albion are being priced out of the race for his services.

He said: “I’m waiting for the call. The problem is I’m away in Uruguay but I’m ready for life without him.

“We will sign someone but not a replacement. It will be somebody who is different.”

Albion are expected to renew their interest in Bristol Rovers frontman Will Hoskins for a fee likely to be about £500,000 plus add-ons.

Sources in the South West believe Poyet is in pole position to land the 25-year-old who scored 20 goals for relegated Rovers last term.

The Seagulls are understood to have had a bid for Watford youngster Will Buckley turned down.

Buckley, 21, started his career at Murray’s old club Rochdale and has been used by the Hornets in a wide role but prefers to play as a central striker.

Poyet has made no secret of his need to sign at least two strikers to join 20-goal Ashley Barnes in his squad.

Making plans for life after Murray (From The Argus)

Last edited:

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
I saw Buckley tear Cardiff's left-back, Lee Naylor, apart when I watched Watford v Cardiff over the Christmas period.

Naylor had to be substituted after half-an-hour to save further embarrassment. Buckley looked like a worldbeater that day - reminded me a bit of Glen Little's style.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Why bring Bennett into this? We need another winger...

I rephrase it, if it makes you feel any better.

If Bennett, WERE to leave, Will Buckley is EXACTLY the kind of player I see as a direct replacement. Hope I'm wrong, and we see both here, but I doubt it.

Half Man Half Biscuit

Oct 10, 2003
Hove
Good news re. Will Buckley (if we sign him) is that I've just had an email from the chaps who run the Watford fanzine telling us to "keep our hands off". That tells me all we need to know, from fans that watch him week in week out. Roll out the red carpet for Mr Buckley at the Stade de Amex please.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here