Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Argentina hours away from bond default

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Judging by the responses, I was the only one to think 'there's got to be a 007 joke I could make...'? Or did you all draw blanks, like me?

SeeGoals

Bloom’n Marvellous
Jan 22, 2009
Horsham by the sea
Looks a bit Messi to me!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Judging by the responses, I was the only one to think 'there's got to be a 007 joke I could make...'? Or did you all draw blanks, like me?

1. Elect Blofeld as El Presidente.
2. Annihilate Bond.
3. Point giant laser at The Falklands, hold Great Britain to ransom for <sucks tip of finger> 1 millllion pounds?

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Not so I'm afraid. Since the OPEC agreements of 71 and 73, oil has always been traded in dollars. It means that if Germany want to buy oil from Norway then both have to do so in dollars. It creates a permanent market for the dollar and so, even if the US economy is in ruins, there will always be demand for its currency. Iraq and North Korea have broken this by buying and selling in Euros but it's still dollars that holds sway.

Although the BRIC group of countries are trying very hard to drop the petro $ and indeed the US$ as one of the worlds reserve currencies.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It's official:

Argentina defaults for second time

Their S&P credit rating is now at "selective default". Argie stock index down 6.8%. Dow down 280 points wiping out any gains made this month.

Kevlar

Dec 20, 2013
All they have to do is change their bills, and have a date for handing the old ones back.

if other countries want to sell something to USA
somebody has got to except dollars
the seller or a go between in the foreign exchange market

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
if other countries want to sell something to USA
somebody has got to except dollars
the seller or a go between in the foreign exchange market
They'll still accept dollars. But some notes can get withdrawn, and normal banks etc no longer have to accept them.

What I didn't realise though, is that even decades after a bank note has been withdrawn, the issuing bank (BofE for us) still has to accept it. I presume the same is true in America.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here