NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
You say that, but if we do not know how bad this eruption could be and how dark the sky will become, it was not long ago flights were cancelled. A bad eruption could have a catastrophic affect on the world.
Not likely. The one when flights got cancelled was lots of dust from a volcano whereas this will be from ground level so no dust.

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Which section of Iceland is affected ?
It's a peninsula on the SW of the island. Has a major power plant which supplies the capital, also has the Blue Lagoon. If you go to the bottom of the BBC article it has a map.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
And Great Britain is a bit shit
Ok you merry porcine. Go elsewhere if you don't like my country. There are plenty of other people in this world, willing to take your place.
The world doesn't get better, you do.
The rest I deleted, cos I'm not a total arsehole

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Ok you merry porcine. Go elsewhere if you don't like my country. There are plenty of other people in this world, willing to take your place.
The world doesn't get better, you do.
The rest I deleted, cos I'm not a total arsehole
Where can I go ? Since Brexit I am unable to move abroad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I was in Iceland in February and visited the Blue Lagoon, which is a mere 6km from the threatened village of Grindavik. It is a wonderful country.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This eruption if / when it occurs will be a fissure or spatter cone eruption with quite fluid lava, not too much gas and not too much explosivity, which would mean less threat to flights etc.

When the Eyjafjallajökull volcano erupted in 2010 it was a Stratovolcano type, with are relatively explosive and tend to throw a lot of dust / ash high into the atmosphere.

The only risk with the volcanoes on the Reykjanes peninsula is if the eruption occurs on the coast or in the sea, as they water content will make it more explosive and generate more ash.
Good info 👍

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I don’t think Iceland is being ‘torn apart’ by earthquakes in any area yet so a little hyperbole in the thread title (but I clicked it so it worked 🙂) - so far the capital has not been effected - all these bar one larger quake are a swarm of mini-quakes, only 3 are over 3 mag, the largest being 3.8 on Monday afaics. They are almost certainly an indication of a potential major volcanic eruption (unlike hopefully the Fagradalsfjall volcano on the Reykjanes peninsula which erupted in 2021 and 2022 again or devastating Eyjafjallajökull eruption in 2010 though) but very worrying from the point of view of local air travel, tourism and farming in the area requiring large areas of evacuation of both livestock and villages.

On average, Iceland has around 500 earthquakes a week, or about 26000 every year. The country is in effect bisected by a 2 major teutonic plates - the North American and Eurasian so there’s continuous movement.

Thinking about it, it must be a bit like sitting in top of a tumble drier at the moment!
"The country is in effect bisected by 2 major teutonic plates..."
And that's the problem that German crockery can cause... shocking 🤷‍♂️

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I was in Iceland in February and visited the Blue Lagoon, which is a mere 6km from the threatened village of Grindavik. It is a wonderful country.
Was there in July when another volcano was erupting, could see it from the capital agree its a great place, fantastic scenery and and quite extraordinary to stand with one foot on one tectonic plate and the other foot on the other one with a gap in the middle

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
A new fissure has opened up this evening near the town of Grindavik.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Another site with all current cams together.

This eruption is within the previous risk area, North of Grindavik, near the Blue Lagoon and hydrothermal power plant.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
"The country is in effect bisected by 2 major teutonic plates..."
And that's the problem that German crockery can cause... shocking 🤷‍♂️

Should be ‘tectonic’ - bloody auto-complete - I didn’t notice that when I posted - apologies.

A lot of shaking on the Reykjanesviti camera (on Iceland Live webcams) at 3.00am - wind or ground tremors?

EDIT- Ground tremors according to the Iceland earthquake tracker - looks like a lot of aftershocks following a magnitude of 4 just before midnight

IMG_0834.jpeg

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here