Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you currently dealing with anyone in your day to day life that

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
is on anti-depressants and making your life difficult by being basically deluded , i have a builder associate who is 60 k in debt and seems to think he's going to be able to work his way out of it which to me seems nigh on impossible......he is adamant and is of the opinion that his creditors will " just have to wait".

the fact he sees no problem in his predicament is quite alarming and as far as i can see he is just digging a deeper and deeper hole for himself .

i'm not sure if his wife ( who he has just bought a new car for ) has any idea and for once i'm not sure what to do .

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
You describe him as an associate rather than a friend so I’m not sure it’s really any of your business. If he was a friend then by all means offer him the opportunity to talk about if he wants and see if that helps but beyond that ……

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
You describe him as an associate rather than a friend so I’m not sure it’s really any of your business. If he was a friend then by all means offer him the opportunity to talk about if he wants and see if that helps but beyond that ……

he owes me and my cabinet maker over 25 k so in that respect it is very much my business.....i like him and i want to help him but at the same time i don't want to give him any more credit as i don't think he can pay it any time soon.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
he owes me and my cabinet maker over 25 k so in that respect it is very much my business.....i like him and i want to help him but at the same time i don't want to give him any more credit as i don't think he can pay it any time soon.

If he has just bought his wife a new car, are you sure he can’t pay you as opposed to won’t pay you? Either way, as he’s an associate, not a friend, personally I would cut the credit line.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
If he has just bought his wife a new car, are you sure he can’t pay you as opposed to won’t pay you? Either way, as he’s an associate, not a friend, personally I would cut the credit line.

i'm assuming the car is on hp ....cutting him off is my first instinct but then it makes it a whole lot more difficult to get our money , i'm in a bit of a dilemma , people are now hounding me for money as i was running 3 jobs for him before christmas and he doesn't answer his phone when they call him. I don't really want to start handing his address out.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
i'm assuming the car is on hp ....cutting him off is my first instinct but then it makes it a whole lot more difficult to get our money , i'm in a bit of a dilemma , people are now hounding me for money as i was running 3 jobs for him before christmas and he doesn't answer his phone when they call him. I don't really want to start handing his address out.

Not settling a debt is very high on my list of sins. I understand that different people have differing attitudes to the issue, but my approach would be to pay him a visit to try to agree a payment plan (5k/month?). If he agreed and followed it, then fair enough - but I’d limit all future credit to, say, 5k. If he didn’t agree, or did and then reneged I’d sue him.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
That's a difficult situation but I'm not sure what being in anti depressants has to do with it. Anti depressants will be used to try to restore balance in the brain, not make someone deluded, indeed they should help someone become more capable of more rational thoughts once more.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You must stop any credit immediately. If it ends up in court you could well lose the ruling if you have allowed him to continue to accrue debt.
This happened to a company I worked for that rented office space. They allowed a company to run up huge rent arrears and when it came to court my company lost because they basically allowed it to happen.

It’s a *******, but that’s how it can work. In the U.K. at least.

I hope you get your money back and he gets his debts sorted.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

You say he’s on anti depressants, in denial, and just bought his wife a new car (possibly on hp).
He has boldly told you, other creditors can just wait for their money (he is telling you, you can just wait too).
He doesn’t answer his phone, you call him an associate, not a friend….

How many red flags do you need…
He’s probably spinning the same yarns to every other creditor, the very fact your on NSC asking something you already know the answer too, but just want reassurance that you are correct in cutting the credit, tells you what you need to do.

No more credit, and if I were you, I’d actively and aggressively pursue that money owed to you, now before there’s nothing left to collect, you may have to take a hit on some of the balance.

Good luck, and trust your gut on this.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
That's a difficult situation but I'm not sure what being in anti depressants has to do with it. Anti depressants will be used to try to restore balance in the brain, not make someone deluded, indeed they should help someone become more capable of more rational thoughts once more.

without going biblical he is already 60k in debt and wants to start more jobs with the intention of using deposits and early stage payments to clear this , however this is only deferring the current debt and is likely to cause delays ....for instance he is quite happy for a bathroom renovation to take 4 to 5 weeks and a kitchen renovation to take even longer , he did one last year that dragged on for nearly 3 m months but none of this seems to phase or bother him in the slightest ......he is constantly missing appointments and pissing clients off and this is reflecting on his bottom line ....he doesn't / can't drink because the meds he is on don't allow it , he's scatty as **** and refuses to keep a diary , changes scopes with clients and doesn't update plans for contractors ......in fact writing this is helping me make my decision i think , i like the guy but he's a bloody liability , time to move on i think.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
You say he’s on anti depressants, in denial, and just bought his wife a new car (possibly on hp).
He has boldly told you, other creditors can just wait for their money (he is telling you, you can just wait too).
He doesn’t answer his phone, you call him an associate, not a friend….

How many red flags do you need…
He’s probably spinning the same yarns to every other creditor, the very fact your on NSC asking something you already know the answer too, but just want reassurance that you are correct in cutting the credit, tells you what you need to do.

No more credit, and if I were you, I’d actively and aggressively pursue that money owed to you, now before there’s nothing left to collect, you may have to take a hit on some of the balance.

Good luck, and trust your gut on this.

yeah cheers mate ....trouble is i know he hasn't got the money now and if i cut him off none of my guys will work for him so he'll be well and truly ****ed.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Stop working for him immediately otherwise you will carry on working for free.

There are far too many small building companies that carry on like this one unfortunately. When I started working for myself I said I would never sub contract for builders and 20 years later I still haven’t.
I have met many people that have been not paid and then the building company has gone under. Surprise, surprise they usually start up again under a new name.

This post is no disrespect to any decent builders or building companies

Last edited:

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
My Brother in law was in a similar position, a builder was into him for 15 grand.

Ended up going into insolvency, and walked away.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I think you’ve already had the right answer several times on this thread, but as others have mentioned, the antidepressants are not relevant (unless he’s been so colossally mis-prescribed something that it’s causing more issues than it’s solving)

At the very least agree a repayment plan that has slightly more coming in than you’re giving out in fresh credit, and make any future credit contingent on sticking to the plan.

My sad experience is that characters such as this are often Johnsonian in their outlook, as soon as any kind of restriction is imposed upon them, they will be incredibly injured and hurt and accuse you of always having been against them. None of what has happened will be their fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
yeah cheers mate ....trouble is i know he hasn't got the money now and if i cut him off none of my guys will work for him so he'll be well and truly ****ed.

Can I ask you, why are you not concerned about “your guys” not getting paid ?
Is it because your paying them to work for said person ?
Is it a case of if you cut him off, there will not be enough work for “your guys” ?

Just trying to understand, why such loyalty, when you know in your heart of hearts your not going to get paid.
If I was being paid by you, to do work for your client and knew you weren’t getting paid for it, I’d understand if you refused to take more work from him, That’s life and a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Well I've just quit working for a builder because he's deluded but he's not on any medication.
A bit of a shame as he was half decent but as opposed to getting better at the job so he can take more money out he now takes more money out and his involvement only makes the job run worse.
Real shame as just started what should be a lovely job but I can't be busting my arse fire fighting his incompetence any more.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
without going biblical he is already 60k in debt and wants to start more jobs with the intention of using deposits and early stage payments to clear this , however this is only deferring the current debt and is likely to cause delays ....for instance he is quite happy for a bathroom renovation to take 4 to 5 weeks and a kitchen renovation to take even longer , he did one last year that dragged on for nearly 3 m months but none of this seems to phase or bother him in the slightest ......he is constantly missing appointments and pissing clients off and this is reflecting on his bottom line ....he doesn't / can't drink because the meds he is on don't allow it , he's scatty as **** and refuses to keep a diary , changes scopes with clients and doesn't update plans for contractors ......in fact writing this is helping me make my decision i think , i like the guy but he's a bloody liability , time to move on i think.

Got to also feel sorry for any clients this clown is working for, obviously he’s a selfish c*** and isn’t bothered about anyone other than himself if he dragged out a job for 3 months.
Maybe once he was good at his trade but hasn’t got the brainpower to run jobs and organise other trades.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

The truth is that he is already. You're actions are just delaying the inevitable.

Yea people can feck up and get into financial difficulties, but the question is, are they blindly carrying on making it worse or are they getting their shite together and sorting it out? Getting his Mrs a new car and his comments you have said, shows its the former and not the latter.

It's his mess and not yours. You have to put him in his place. You never know maybe his Mrs will slap some sense into him. Either way, you've got to cut your association with him and pass on his details to the others and not be the middle man.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Can I ask you, why are you not concerned about “your guys” not getting paid ?
Is it because your paying them to work for said person ?
Is it a case of if you cut him off, there will not be enough work for “your guys” ?

Just trying to understand, why such loyalty, when you know in your heart of hearts your not going to get paid.
If I was being paid by you, to do work for your client and knew you weren’t getting paid for it, I’d understand if you refused to take more work from him, That’s life and a perfectly reasonable thing to do.

"my guys " are guys i have brought to the projects to carry out work on the understanding that he had the money to pay them ......seemingly he never had the money , there is no shortage of work here believe me so the issue of not working for him in the future is not a big deal it's more me trying to make sure that the guys i have brought in get paid for the work they have done ......in that respect i am the proverbial meat in the sandwich.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here