Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are you a smoker? Bloody well stop then.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Been using an e-cig for over a year now. Don't get any urges to smoke a ciggy anymore.
Next step is to stop using the e-cig, even though I'm using the lowest nicotine level (without actually going to 0)

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Signed up to Stoptober (again) this year. Day 3 now and going reasonably well. Today will be a big test though with beer and footy involved.....

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Signed up to Stoptober (again) this year. Day 3 now and going reasonably well. Today will be a big test though with beer and footy involved.....

I found that I tried to stop quite a few times before I managed to stick it out. 10 years clean now after 32 years of smoking. Keep trying and you will get there. (The first 3 days are the worst and you've managed that) :thumbsup:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Smoking is easy to give up if you put your mind to it. In 1995 I was smoking 10-15 Bolivar No 1 cigars a day having smoked for about 38 years ranging from Senior Service to 60 Capstan Full strength. How did I do it? The consultant who diagnosed my mouth cancer told me to either pack up immediately or not book a holiday for next year as I would lose the deposit. I havent smoked since that day 11th May 1995 and still have a box of cigars in the cupboard as a reminder.
The government could help just make it illegal to smoke anywhere in public areas.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Good idea. Quitting is one of the best things I ever did. I look and feel far better. Anyone who says they don't want to give up is lying to themselves and everyone else. If they could snap their fingers and be a non smoker they would. Nobody wants to be addicted to something that will eventually kill you.

Not that black and white. My other half and I smoke occasionally but not constantly, are not addicted in the real sense of being a smoker but enjoy the release that the occasional oily rag can give and have absolutely no desire to stop doing so.

p.s. Don't flatter yourself, you don't look that f/ing great!

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
To be honest I don't think that any of the commercially available ones that you can buy over the counter are that good - I\'ve tried a few and none of them seem to give a particularly decent taste.
I use an Innokin itaste vtr which I got from Amazon for about £54 a couple of years ago. You will need to buy batteries for it too at about £15 for 2 normally. You can buy "e-liquids" for it at loads of places - I use Volcano in Kingston but there's the UK -cig store in Wembley who are very helpful. I know that there's a place in Eastbourne that I've been to a couple of times and they're helpful too (The Vapour Trail in the Enterprise Centre)
I stopped three and a half years ago and don't intend to ever smoke again - so much so that I've got about 2000 fags that I had bought in Spain and Greece sitting in the house !!

Good luck !

OGH's Libido

Nov 30, 2014
Have quit twice, but this time haven't smoked anything in nearly 6 years.

My 'secret'? Don't tell anyone you are quitting. Go below the radar, no pressure, no one maddeningly asking 'how is the not smoking thing going?'.

I don't go along with the 'you will never stop itching for a cigarette' sentiment - hasn't been my experience, happily.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I really enjoy smoking, so don't really want to give it up - I am concerned about the harm it causes to ones health though.

Can anyone recommend a decent e-cigarette? There are too many on the market to choose from.

Iv'e been a serial vapist for two and a half years, started on 18mg liquids, now on 6mg.
I started with the small kits but moved up to this one.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/ASPIRE-PREM...tuccu0c-21&ascsubtag=560f943548308f0d387668ed.
Replacement coils, a 5 pack is usually around £6 if you shop around, normally a coil will last about 2 months and you get 5 with the kit.
The liquid i use is Hangson, which is one of the few recommended... http://www.hangseneliquids.co.uk/e-liquids/
At the moment you can get 4 liquids for £9-99 free delivery, and choose your strength.
I brought a back up battery a 1650ah, did not go for the Aspire battery but found the VV Spinner to be better actually. This is a good price.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vision-V2...tery-SILVER-/131617521184?hash=item1ea503fe20. If you buy this battery you need a cone which tapers from the battery onto the tank, still works out cheaper than buying a spare Aspire battery, which will only be an 1100ah as opposed to the better (imo) 1600ah VV spinner...... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VIVI-NOVA...attery-/321299175587?var=&hash=item4aceec58a3

Also my job means i need the Aspire to be protected, a standard size stainless cigar holder is not big enough to house it, so i brought a large size one, best i could find was ... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DECORATIV...ER-SMOKING-CIGAR-TUBE-RRP-23-99-/191580825800

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Good luck if you want to give up if you don't carry on it is a free world, just about. The smugness of the non smokers is enough to make you reach for a fag

bhafc4eva

Nov 21, 2003
Thought you were better than this Bozza.

Can we have a dedicated page to take food away from fat people and beer away from muppets? These two together are a massive fat drain on society.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I quit four weeks ago on a whim whilst on holiday. It seemed like a good time to do it as the usual tempting situations and smoking friends weren't present.

I can honestly say I'm not craving a cigarette at all. One thing I've noticed is I'm waking up without a trace of hangover after a few drinks which is an added benefit to go with the smugness of being a newly converted non-smoker.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Thought you were better than this Bozza.

Can we have a dedicated page to take food away from fat people and beer away from muppets? These two together are a massive fat drain on society.

There are a few people that are stopping drinking alcohol this month, because they are told to. No chance, 3 home games, a vape, a few beers and a greasy burger on match days for me. If some had their way we would have a month set aside for all manner of things. If people want to give something up then just choose when you want to, not have some holier than thou thrust a time or month on them.

Jbanged

Jan 16, 2013
Barcelona
This Monday will be 6 weeks I have stopped, not long I know. However, I feel so much better for it. I had been trying to give up for a while without success. It took an unfortunate accident which kept me in hospital for 5 weeks to stop. I'm not finding it too difficult around other smokers either.

worthingseagull

Sep 28, 2011
The obvious difference between smoking and beer / fatty food is that if I have a beer or eat a burger, that doesn't make everyone near me stink, whereas smoking does. If it didn't make my clothes smell, I wouldn't give a shit what people do but it does!
Who remembers getting up on a Sunday morning after a night out and smelling their clothes - absolutely rank. Smoking ban in pubs and restaurants = best legislation ever

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Not that black and white. My other half and I smoke occasionally but not constantly, are not addicted in the real sense of being a smoker but enjoy the release that the occasional oily rag can give and have absolutely no desire to stop doing so.

p.s. Don't flatter yourself, you don't look that f/ing great!

Didn't say I looked great, said I looked better, there wasn't much to start from!

P.S I'm glad you are the two people on history that have managed to defy biology and smoke without being addicted.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here