[Music] Are you a Pink Floyd fan?

Are you a Pink Floyd fan

• Total voters

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
As understatements go that is right up there :lolol:
Apart from DSotM and Rumours, what else is even close to Piper at the gates, or proper FM, Green Manalishi, Man of the World, Dragonfly etc. . .

serious question. . . I don't think either band have come close to either and both. . . . They're not alone, many bands peak, then have commercial success with lesser compositions. .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Up to - and not necessarily including - Dark Side of the Moon I loved 'em. Not so much after that.

They did, nowever, due to unforeseen circumstances, a break down on the M6 and some hurried improvisation using borrowed instruments and PA, produce one of the greatest live gigs I've ever witnessed.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Funny how labels change over the years. I never considered Pink Floyd as prog rock, that was a term at the time used for Yes, ELP and Genesis.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I did follow groundbreaking with a question mark. Blockbuster is probably a better word. It was very different as far as I can see to anything they had done before.

I like a bit of posh boy stuff, but it depends on what. Didn’t Mick Jagger and Keith Richard both go to Art College? I was a great Genesis fan in the Gabriel years, but not necessarily of other progrock bands. Yes, for example, I could go along with, but always had hints of musical wallpaper. I’d go for Blur over Oasis anyway. But Radiohead don’t really do snyth8ng for me.

Each to his own. My own favourite ever bands are Cream and the Allman Brothers Band (early stuff before Duane Allman died) and plenty of people’s reaction to that would be “who?”
Cream were definitely groundbreaking and very special. It's a shame that Clapton has also turned into a bit of a tw#t. Having said that, most of his work post-Cream is wallpaper music anyway.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Apart from DSotM and Rumours, what else is even close to Piper at the gates, or proper FM, Green Manalishi, Man of the World, Dragonfly etc. . .

serious question. . . I don't think either band have come close to either and both. . . . They're not alone, many bands peak, then have commercial success with lesser compositions. .
Not really a good comparison, is it? Pink Floyd, apart from the odd flash of brilliance (Another Brick in the Wall, for example) disappeared further and further up their own wormhole, whereas Fleetwood Mac (with the luckiest rhythm section ever!) completely regenerated, and although the newer stuff was distinctly MOR which may not have pleased the purists, it was streets ahead of the variuos blind alleys (British blues boom, but trying to find ways out of it) the band had been wandering up before.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I have never partaken of the evil weed in any way shape or form, and would happily listen to Pink Floyd at any time. DSoTM came out during my first year at University, and everybody would be sitting around listening to it quite happily, many - like me, choosing not to do that stuff,
Never Mind The Bollocks came out while I was at Uni. We didn't sit around listening to it quite happily🤣🤣
Truly groundbreaking.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Ummagumma, Atom Heart Mother and Meddle as well as Obscured by Clouds ALL trump the very good Syd stuff imo

Won’t argue too much about Fleetwood Mac though

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Not really a good comparison, is it? Pink Floyd, apart from the odd flash of brilliance (Another Brick in the Wall, for example) disappeared further and further up their own wormhole, whereas Fleetwood Mac (with the luckiest rhythm section ever!) completely regenerated, and although the newer stuff was distinctly MOR which may not have pleased the purists, it was streets ahead of the variuos blind alleys (British blues boom, but trying to find ways out of it) the band had been wandering up before.

:bowdown:

Add amazing song writing, hooks and brilliant vocalists.

Flagship

Jan 15, 2018
Brighton
Dark Side of the Moon is brilliant and alongside, Parallel Lines, Rumours, Crisis What Crisis, it has to be one of the best albums ever recorded. I've never seen the band live but regularly saw the tribute bands, Brit Floyd and Aussie Floyd down the Centre.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Not a massive fan of the overly twee and dated early Syd Barrett stuff, but mid-period Floyd was pretty incredible at times. The Live at Pompeii DVD is worth a watch too, can be found on YouTube.

I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like
It's got a basket, a bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could, but I borrowed it

I mean, if a 6 year old writes that you pat them on the head and say well done...
I can see why Barrett's stuff could be seen as dated. He was writing at a time when there was a resurging interest in the childlike. Famously the title of Piper comes from a chapter heading from Kenneth Graeme's 'Wind in the Willows' and that kind of bucolic fantasy was back in vogue during the psychedelic period. The desire of some Victorian/Edwardian children's authors was for a world of nature, innocence and adventure that seems very naiive at face value, but then so does William Blake. There is a particularly English writer's obsession with a return to a time of childhood when responsibilities were few and possibilities seemed endless. It's an underlying theme to so much of our most popular literature, including the world conquering Rowling and Tolkien books.

Barrett, like Blake, is a reminder that despite first appearances, sophistication doesn't immediately equal profundity. The next lines after the ones you quote are

"You're the kind of girl who fits in with my world,
I'll give you anything, everything, if you want things."

Nice little couplet about relationship convenience, male female power dynamics and a questioning of materialism thrown in there for free. For me, there is an interesting, subtle dissonance between the boy that was and the man who is resisting the putting away of childish things. There's also a nod towards the dadaist inspired cut up technique of William Burroughs and Brion Gysin that would, along with Barrett become a strong influence on David Bowie's approach.

On the other hand, as I'm aware of the irony that I previously complained in this thread about public schoolboy musicians trying to be deep, he could have just been a bloody hippy. What was all that I Ching nonsense anyway?

Last edited:

i absolutely bloody hate Pink Floyd, and have for years. I've tried, because i do have a bit of a thing for pretentious nonsense (i adore the Flaming Lips, and their album cover of DSOTM is the only Pink Floyd-related thing i own) so i've listened to early albums, mid period, late stuff, specific tracks - i have tried em all recommended by people i know who love them. And it all leaves me so cold. student wank for stoned idiots.
I think the exact same thing about Bruce Springsteen too - again, i have good pals who love him and really want me to get into him, and they've recommended specific albums and even runs of songs- its just shit. he's shit.
Pink Floyd - they're shit.

But Municipal Waste, i like them!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
When my son was about 12/13 (mid-noughties) he was into bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers, and he also liked what him and his friends called 'classic rock' (Hendrix, The Who, The Clash, Deep Purple, stuff like that). One day in the car he said to me:
"Oh Dad, I was at Fred's house the other day and we were listening to one of his dad's CDs. It was the best thing I've ever heard, it was completely brilliant and we played it about three times because it was so awesome. It was called 'Dark Side of the Moon' by a band called Pink Floyd. Have you heard of it?"
I reached into the door rack and pulled out my copy.
"Yes." I said. "And yes, it is absolutely brilliant, arguably the greatest album ever made."

And so the torch was passed to a new generation!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
When my son was about 12/13 (mid-noughties) he was into bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers, and he also liked what him and his friends called 'classic rock' (Hendrix, The Who, The Clash, Deep Purple, stuff like that). One day in the car he said to me:
"Oh Dad, I was at Fred's house the other day and we were listening to one of his dad's CDs. It was the best thing I've ever heard, it was completely brilliant and we played it about three times because it was so awesome. It was called 'Dark Side of the Moon' by a band called Pink Floyd. Have you heard of it?"
"Yes." I said. "And yes, it is absolutely brilliant, arguably the greatest album ever made."

No offence, but I lose confidence in the music taste of anybody who admits to liking the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. ;)

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
No offence, but I lose confidence in the music taste of anybody who admits to liking the Red Hot Chilli Peppers. ;)
Fair point! :) (I can't stand them personally).

Also it has to be said that my son moved away from his early rock influences as he got older. He's now into ambient electronic music and has his own label: https://smallprintrecordings.com/

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

How had your son not heard an album you loved and even had a copy in the car????

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here