Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we through to the next round?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Keep reading and hearing that we have now secured knock out football in Europe- but what if Marseille beat us at the Amex and we finish second?
Doesn’t that mean we have to play off against a team dropping out if the Champions League?

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
I'd like to know this as well as I'm getting more confused the further we get. 🤷‍♀️

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Keep reading and hearing that we have now secured knock out football in Europe- but what if Marseille beat us at the Amex and we finish second?
Doesn’t that mean we have to play off against a team dropping out if the Champions League?
That’s still 2 legged knock out though isn’t it?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
No it means we have a knockout game that will have teams from third place CL groups

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
yes, if we lose that we go to the conference. If we win the group, we play a winner from those playoffs
No we don't. If we finish second we play a team who finished third in the Champions League. The winners go into the last 16, the losers are out. Teams finishing 3rd drop into Conference League.

We cannot play in the Conference League this season.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The worst we can do is finish second. Second-place sides meet Champions League third place dropouts in the snappily-titled "Preliminary knockout round".

The eight winners from that Preliminary knockout round progress to the Knockout phase, where they meet the eight sides who won the Europa League groups.

We now can not feature in this season's Europa Conference.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
yes, if we lose that we go to the conference. If we win the group, we play a winner from those playoffs

Are you sure ?
I thought it’s as follows:
Finish 1st - qualify for next round
Finish 2nd - play off against team dropping out if champions league - win that then qualify for next round - lose it then out of Europe all together
Finish 3rd - drop to Conference league
Finish 4th - out

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We could seriously do without the extra games.

Though intriguingly Shakhtar Donetsk are one of the 3rd place teams currently. Nothing to say we may not still meet them though

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So if we finish second and lose the play off with a CL third place team we still drop down the conference?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset

I don't think that's right.

Beat Marseille, we make the last 16, finish behind them, a play off against 3rd places champions league team....lose that game and we're out of Europe.

Unless I've misunderstood, there's no path to europa conference for us now??!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here