Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we REALLY playing long-ball?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
For most of the game Derby had a high line of 3 players preventing us playing it out from the back. Usually Bridcutt would come and collect to get round this but often we were forced to go longer as no-one could do this as well which partly explains it. It's the usual thing; last year we were all clamoring for a plan B when our passing game wasn't allowed to work and now we are mixing it up more, some people are still moaning. Ironically the attack from which Leo hit the post was very direct so it can work!

Yes, the key is the ability to mix it up. Patience required methinks.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
The constant training of two-touch football didn't seem to be so greatly evident until we were behind, finally working together once Derby decided to settle back and hold on to their lead. We were slow out of the blocks last season too, which was often a bugbear for many who wanted us to dominate far earlier, and Saturday was a display of both lethargy and a lack of clear positional and tactical understanding on the field. That should come to them and as experienced professionals i wouldn't expect them to take too long to all be fully up to speed. The last thing we need is for them to be thrust into any sense of panic and begin to launch balls at Ulloa's head, hoping for the best, in that fearful old English style that all but Allardyce are trying to put to bed.
Hope the hardcore training begins to show itself in games soon and we be that in control passing team that we know we are when in unison.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
I'd say the long-ball stuff in the last 20 minutes was our plan B. It's nice to see a plan B, but if it's going to be as ineffective as our tippy-tappy football can be then I'd rather just see tippy-tappy the whole time.

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
No. Yes there were some longer balls than we are used to but they weren't long hopeless punts they were long passes. Surely a welcome addition to our play?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The defenders definitely have a different approach. There's far less playing it out from tight spots, though that may be different if Bridcutt's there to fetch and carry. Seems to me that we're now operating on the basis that the first pass they look for should always be a forward pass and go sideways only when required. Nothing wrong with that. We're also noticeably quicker getting the ball in the box. First time crosses quite often which has already brought goals. That approach was most conspicuous by its absence last season in the play-off second leg, whereas Palace decided to put our centre-backs to the test and it paid off.

For most of the game Derby had a high line of 3 players preventing us playing it out from the back. Usually Bridcutt would come and collect to get round this but often we were forced to go longer as no-one could do this as well which partly explains it. It's the usual thing; last year we were all clamoring for a plan B when our passing game wasn't allowed to work and now we are mixing it up more, some people are still moaning. Ironically the attack from which Leo hit the post was very direct so it can work!

Given the dreadful pass completion stats on Saturday, you genuinely feel people on here have no right to criticise that? Really? That's what "moaning" is defined as these days?

Hardlly anyone was clamouring for a plan B before the Palace defeat, most people on here thought Plan A was getting us to the Premier League before that. Plan A worked pretty damn well and if it had been Plan A + a full season of Ulloa, I doubt if we would be even having this exchange, we'd be discussing our opening league match this coming weekend.

No one says direct tactics cant create goal-scoring chances. The problem is that it gives the ball back too cheaply to the opposition and allows them to build constant pressure on our defence - that's what led to Derby's two goals. A midtable Derby who in Nigel Clough's words "could not get near us" last season. We MUST keep the ball better than we did on Saturday.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The long ball passes forward are fine if we can win the 2nd ball but unfortunately against Derby we didnt win 1. On the plus side the goal came from a quick cross that last season would have taken another 2 minutes and 8 touches to have been put in and even then possibly not crossed in. We are not trying to 'walk' the ball into the net this season so far and I am sure,as I have said many times, that come the end of September/October we will be on fire and difficult to beat. It is good to see players having a shot from 20+ yards out some will start going in when they can get them on target. I shot= 1 goal 20 shots possible, but not likely, 20 goals.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Given the dreadful pass completion stats on Saturday, .

That, for me, was the most disappointing aspect of Saturday, I feel it will all come good in the next couple of months as long as we can scrape some results in the next few games. This is a very good time for other teams to be playing us I think.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
. The problem is that it gives the ball back too cheaply to the opposition and allows them to build constant pressure on our defence - that's what led to Derby's two goals. A midtable Derby who in Nigel Clough's words "could not get near us" last season. We MUST keep the ball better than we did on Saturday.

I don't see how that's the case with the second one which came so close to the beginning of the half. I'd say that the use of a longer ball did quite the opposite when it was working… For the first time since we climbed into the Championship, we put a team under serious pressure for a sustained period rather than trying to create the perfect goal.

We do need to do it better but people have to accept that if you gamble more, you will lose the ball more. The key is to improve on picking up the pieces in the opposition half.

People are underestimating Derby too. They've been one of the most stable clubs over the summer, so it is not surprising that they've hit the ground running. They may find a lower level as the season goes on but in these opening weeks should be decent, especially now they've added Chris Martin. Judging by Leicester v Leeds on Sunday, at this stage they are miles better than both.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I was a bit concerned at first (I don't think I have ever seen PIG kick from hand before) but I think it's just about getting the ball forward more quickly, with no tip tap around the back four. This may have been down to Bridcutt absence, but I thought it was similar to how we destroyed Ipswich (banner game)

I agree this style should suit CMS

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is a very good time for other teams to be playing us I think.
That was always going to be the case, no matter what, t'is a shame half of this board can't see that.

I was a bit concerned at first (I don't think I have ever seen PIG kick from hand before) but I think it's just about getting the ball forward more quickly, with no tip tap around the back four. This may have been down to Bridcutt absence, but I thought it was similar to how we destroyed Ipswich (banner game)

I agree this style should suit CMS
Having Bridcutt, Hammond, Crofts, & Dicker out of the midfield was always going to be challenging.
Anyone of those familiar faces in the key position occupied by Ince may well have changed the game.

That will all change in a couple of months time, once OG has bedded in.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here