Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we on the cusp of a cusp?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
A very good summing up of where we are at HWT, with a little too much emphasis on the doom and gloom on our current abilities.

Clearly for Tony Bloom this is a long term project, whereby he would expect incremental improvements year on year. As seasons progress we will have blips along the way and things won’t always go “to plan”.

Personally, I think there is little wrong with the general tactics, and yes we do struggle against teams that press high up the pitch, but I think that is more a case of the quality of the personnel at our disposal, rather than some naivety of tactics.

Graham Potter has clearly set out the way he wants his team to play and as we bring in better more consistent players then his tactics will come to fruition. In the meantime we have to learn not to be entitled fans and just enjoy the ride!

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
we generally perform better with a back 3 and a CDM (Bissouma),which allows the WBs to get higher up the pitch. We are over-reliant on Gross to create chances. His assist numbers are off the scale in comparison to everyone else in the squad. He is, effectively our number 10 because neither Mac Ali nor Trossard nor Maupay seem to be able to create the chances regularly. I have been hoping Mac Ali would evolve into an assist-producing and goal-scoring number 10 (or maybe a central attacking midfielder) but he hasn't delivered consistently, just the Everton match. We have to attack faster and be better at finding space in and around the box. If (and I'm not saying we should) we are going to attack mainly by using Cucu and Lamptey as fast wingers slinging crosses into the area then we need to get players into the area faster, preferably TALL players. I don't know how much that aligns with Potter's thinking and coaching but, based on recent matches, he does seem to encourage Lamptey to take his fullback on round the outside and get a cross in (or a pullback to the edge of the area).

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is this just a high brow Potter In/Out thread?

Well....no. I genuinely struggle to understand whether there is an underlying and immutable frailty that requires a change of manager, or we are in danger of Mike Bailying ourselves again. I am not one for careless outbursts at the football and need to cross the rubicon before I start getting on the back of the team (like I did towards the end of the CH era). I feel as if we may be on the cusp of all that again, but I don't trust my instincts and wondered what others though.

And there certainly will not be a poll ??? :wink:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A very good summing up of where we are at HWT, with a little too much emphasis on the doom and gloom on our current abilities.

Clearly for Tony Bloom this is a long term project, whereby he would expect incremental improvements year on year. As seasons progress we will have blips along the way and things won’t always go “to plan”.

Personally, I think there is little wrong with the general tactics, and yes we do struggle against teams that press high up the pitch, but I think that is more a case of the quality of the personnel at our disposal, rather than some naivety of tactics.

Graham Potter has clearly set out the way he wants his team to play and as we bring in better more consistent players then his tactics will come to fruition. In the meantime we have to learn not to be entitled fans and just enjoy the ride!

Cheers. Get some better quality players in during the summer, but take whatever comes for now. I can live with that :thumbsup:

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
There have been a couple of 'why oh why? threads after the third defeat in a row, and some detailed analysis by [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] illustrating all* of the aspects of our results that are inferior to the results under Hughton. This does not, of course, include the clubs superior points tally. But points don't translate to wins and entertainment. This is fomenting understandable consternation.

Now, the people who were calling for Potter's head a year or more ago (I won't name them, we all know who they were) have fallen silent, some disappearing off the face of NSC. So those pointing the finger now are sensible eloquent folk in the main (apart from the hysterical thread starters who pop up from nowhere, like cheeky shiitake after rain in the woods).

So....I am worried that I'm on the cusp of being worried.

Now, I know nothing about football, its tactics and strategy, its xG, and the difference between the Wolfgang Presse and "Attack, attack, attack!". Thus, I am now in a quandry. Recently I thought I had been watching the finest footballs known to humanity under Potter. The come back at Anfield, for example. Stirring stuff. All the talk was of whether we could fend off £50 million bids for Bissouma and Lamptey during the Christmas window. Would Mancherster United or Spurs snaffle our manager? Heady stuff.

But...but...hold on....now after 3 defeats Potter is being accused of creating a myth, the King's New Clothes! We have, apparently been sleepwalking into doom with a clueless boss who can't change things around and makes all the wrong calls. He has been lucky to accumulate all those points while failing to bring us wins and excitement. And all that when gifted with our best squad ever. There are pages of detailed critique on how time and time again Potter fails to match up to the legend that was Chris Houghton.

So....I'm confused. If Potter is this poor, we need to ensure we have a replacement lined up for when we sack him after the last game of the season. Someone who can deliver wins and excitement, not simply points and mid table mediocrity. I'm looking forward to a 'who should be our new manager thread' appearing later. I may even start it myself.

I expect us to finish about 13th this season. Coincidentally this will match our best ever season which was exactly 40 years ago. I paste the final table below.

View attachment 145550

Despite the finish that season the supporters were crying out for entertainment. At the start of the following season, when the results were not matching those of the previous season, the manager went, to be replaced by someone designed to bring a bit of white-shoed shiney-headed glamour and pizzazz to the club, and a charge for the cup.

Now, in the age of instant pop-up opinions, the pressure to make a change is palpable. I wonder, therefore whether Mr Bloom is as confused as me. Should I get behind the team or should I join the Potter OUT contingent? Should I be grateful for the possibility of our highest ever league position, or angry with the limp lettuce recent performances and Potter's annoying demeanour. Should I be comforted by the MOTD comment last night by Shearer that we are 'still punching above our weight', or outraged that we are still little ole Brightan with a need to sack the manager in order to push on.

This may read like a tongue in cheek post but I am genuinely confused about which way to jump. The constant sniping suggests to me that there is something intrinsically wrong with Potter, and yet all I see is a season of tremendous performances and hope, punctuated by a recent run of shittiness. My head says Potter is the man but my gut is now saying 'not good enough, get rid'. I think I need some good advice from people who know far more about football than me.

*Edit: only at home. Apologies

Thank you so much for making my Sunday evening by posting that league table. Shirley there’s shome mishtake - I can’t see Chelsea or Palace in there. Hahahah

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
A lot of time and effort went into the opening post. It was an entertaining read.

I am very much still team Potter, despite feeling we are on the beach already as we have secured safety much earlier than the last 4 seasons.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
A lot of time and effort went into the opening post. It was an entertaining read.

I am very much still team Potter, despite feeling we are on the beach already as we have secured safety much earlier than the last 4 seasons.

This, playing the same way we did when we handed Newcastle the Championship title the season we got promoted.
Disgraceful disrespect to Tony from the players............................again.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Burnley haven’t won away all season, Villa crap in the last five or six we are a feckin charity case. We win one in eight and half of the board start creaming themselves talking about Europe and scared Potters going to get poached by one of the worlds elite football clubs :facepalm:

It’s got that bad the hysteria levels after a late equaliser not a winner an equaliser is quite bizarre. I shouldn’t be surprised though when we lost to Everton apparently the NSC football experts told us they would be a top six side this season under Rafa :lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The players need to somehow be kept up to their task, even if safety is more or less assured. Assuming - due to a widening gap towards the top - the highest we can finish is ninth, then every place we slip down the table below that will literally cost TB several million pounds in EPL prize money (not sure if finishing position is reflected in player bonuses. [MENTION=31]El Presidente[/MENTION]?)

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Current problem lies more at the players feet than Potter.

Biss… Trossard two players who in the first half of the season were exceptional but currently either bang out of form or aren’t interested.

Also with the injuries to the CB we have gone from a team who bring the ball out from the back and commit players to beat the press to a team who pass from side to side and allow the opposition to get players behind the ball and press us as a unit.

The return of Webster alongside Dunk will help I believe and need to move the ball quicker and increase the energy in our game once more.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s a mentality issue I reckon. Safety more or less assured, players’ performances have dropped off. Mentality runs throughout the club, we’re still seeing ourselves as little old Brighton and staying up is the big target.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It’s a mentality issue I reckon. Safety more or less assured, players’ performances have dropped off. Mentality runs throughout the club, we’re still seeing ourselves as little old Brighton and staying up is the big target.

A repeat of the promotion season which should have been the title winning season ? If that is the case then the players need to sort themselves out. There are teams below us finding form for the first time this season.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
A repeat of the promotion season which should have been the title winning season ? If that is the case then the players need to sort themselves out. There are teams below us finding form for the first time this season.

Largely a different squad with a very few exceptions but maybe the shortage of players with an ingrained Premier League mentality is telling now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

That thought had crossed my mind, albeit with the likes of Lallana in the squad one might have hoped for a bit more....professionalism.

Anyway....we shall see, over the next five or six games....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Burnley haven’t won away all season, Villa crap in the last five or six we are a feckin charity case. We win one in eight and half of the board start creaming themselves talking about Europe and scared Potters going to get poached by one of the worlds elite football clubs :facepalm:

It’s got that bad the hysteria levels after a late equaliser not a winner an equaliser is quite bizarre. I shouldn’t be surprised though when we lost to Everton apparently the NSC football experts told us they would be a top six side this season under Rafa :lolol:

If only we could all be right, all the time, like you. :cry:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ha! I wont get drawn into the personal stuff, and I only read the footy related threads so not always a rounded-view of contributions!!! I don't mind well-argued points of view or perspectives of our club, whatever brings people here.

I suspect he was referring to the poster to whom I had replied. I could be wrong, of course. I have no problem with the person to whom I had replied, by the way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here