Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are we heading back to the "bad old days"?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Some are probably motivated by the likes of those accounts mentioned in the OP to become "internet famous" for a day. I don't follow those accounts myself but have seen a general uptick in football social media of a bit of glorification of poor fan behaviour across many different accounts.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Nah, when the old bill start taking me laces outta me Docs then I'll say we're back to the good ol days...
:lolol:
I think the hoolies these days would probably turn their noses up at wearing Docs, every though they cost about £150.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't a Blackpool fan killed this season when Burnley fans attacked the pub they were in?
Terrible.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Wasn't a Blackpool fan killed this season when Burnley fans attacked the pub they were in?
Terrible.
I think it was the other way around, one of the fans who attacked the pub got killed himself.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I understand why you and others think like this, but I'm an active member of personal finance communities, and you would not believe how common it is for people from low/no earners to high earning professionals to get themselves in tens of thousands of pounds worth of debt through spending on things they cannot afford - through credit cards, personal loans, pay day loans, overdrafts and private debts.... and it is an incredibly stressful experience being reminded of these debts, often leading into even more impulsive spending. Have you heard of Klarna? Any person with any credit history can buy a stone island jacket and not pay a penny for it... until the debt collecters come around for 10 times more than what they might have paid for it initially.

Judging people by what they have managed to buy is absolutely no indication of the health of their finances... in fact, the more financially stable people are, the more likely to have a considerably more modest wardrobe and lifestyle.

This forum full of home owning middle agers probably can't quite grasp how much people are being pushed economically, so frequently being forced into debt. Crime, violence and drug use is up, almost in direct correlation with personal debt... It is completely understandable why football fans will continue to spend money on this hightly emotive hobby, and why these things are becoming more prominant in football, just like they are everywhere else in society.
Yep there will be loads of people out and about tonight in Brighton sniffing bugle in nice clothes who secretly are on the bread line, thinking how shit life is 🤦‍♂️

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Thousands of angry men need something to do at the weekend

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't think it's that surprising. People generally I think are pretty angry these days.

Between seemingly interminable economic worries, a global pandemic reminding us all how terrifyingly fragile and fleeting all this is, people under 35 having almost no hope of owning their own home, endless divisions over Brexit, a country on its knees and the mystifying fact that Frank Lampard continues to get work no wonder people are f***ed off.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
youngsters first reaction to anything is to film it.

Blokes have always been blokes . Same as any town centre at weekends up and down the country.

Nob heads everywhere

Not really massive issue
I think you mean "wankers have alway been wankers", I'm a bloke and have managed to not attack a stranger for number of years

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Yeah those naughty ‘poor people’ dressed in expensive clothes probably spending north of £100 on away days fighting each other….
As I recall, people stole the designer clothing and certainly didn’t pay for a rail tickets.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I don't think it's that surprising. People generally I think are pretty angry these days.

Between seemingly interminable economic worries, a global pandemic reminding us all how terrifyingly fragile and fleeting all this is, people under 35 having almost no hope of owning their own home, endless divisions over Brexit, a country on its knees and the mystifying fact that Frank Lampard continues to get work no wonder people are f***ed off.
Vast majority of us don’t kick off even though we have same worries. There’s a level of entitlement IMO, a by product of / created-by consumerism. Hope is the keyword in what you wrote. Without that, dreams are destroyed and illness / anger manifests. Concentrated wealth and power cause this. Ironically politicians then exploit these conditions. And so the downward spiral continues, becoming ever more vicious with ever turn IMO.

It’ll end in enormous global violence. It always does.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here