Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are we getting some CHEATING practice in for the World Cup?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
The first half is over and what stands out? An awful dive from Gerrard to win the penalty (not his only theatrical tumble in the 45 mins) and Joe Cole going down more often than a ten dollar whore. Pathetic.

If we're cheated out of the World Cup, indignation will flow in torrents. It's at that point we should be reminded of this first half performance. :nono:

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
DJ Leon said:
The first half is over and what stands out? An awful dive from Gerrard to win the penalty (not his only theatrical tumble in the 45 mins) and Joe Cole going down more often than a ten dollar whore. Pathetic.

If we're cheated out of the World Cup, indignation will flow in torrents. It's at that point we should be reminded of this first half performance. :nono:

Thank god that Hungarian didn't touch Gerrard with that two footed tackle.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Re: Re: Are we getting some CHEATING practice in for the World Cup?

brightonfan_86 said:
Thank god that Hungarian didn't touch Gerrard with that two footed tackle.

???

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
f*** it, if the Hangarians are going to jump in two footed in the box in a friendly I demand our players go down, it's not like nobody else is gonna dive in the world cup now is it.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
f*** it, if the Hangarians are going to jump in two footed in the box in a friendly I demand our players go down, it's not like nobody else is gonna dive in the world cup now is it.

OOOOOOOKAY.

And Joe Cole?

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Joe Cole plays for Chelsea so all that training with Drogba and Robben is bound to have an influence.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I can't stand cheating as much as the next man but my attitude is changing. I used to think that if we can win fairly then I'd rather not win at all.

I would now much rather just win at any cost. It's got the German's three world cups with a combination of Schmacher's X rated efforts and Klinsman's theatrics.

Until FIFA et al actually do something about it then if you don't do it we're not competing on a level playing field.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Lammy said:
I would now much rather just win at any cost. It's got the German's three world cups with a combination of Schmacher's X rated efforts and Klinsman's theatrics.
Just that? Get real, ffs. Unlike you to be daft like that.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Even against Argentina there was clear footage of Maradona getting elbowed in the face and being hacked down left right and center BEFORE the hand of god 'goal'.

Owen dived to get us the win against Argentina.

We didn't qualify for the World Cup in 1994 due to a combination of Dutch cheating and piss poor officials.

If there was some kind of come back against diving missed bad challenges then it would reduce the problem. But their isn't and most of the teams (including Brazil) will be fliniging themselves all over he place to try and gain some sort of advantage.

It's a very sad state of affairs but one we need to get used to. Leon Knight has made a career out of it. Would we have even got to the Championship if it were not for all the penalties he 'won' ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I got absolutely hammered for suggesting Joe Cole is a cheating bastard....what about that dive in the England B game the other week.

He does it week in week out, what do people expect.

I am getting old and cinical to believe that this World Cup will be won by whichever team cheats the most.

If Robben, or Cole, or Messi, or Owen,or any one of a hundred any other players get within 10 yards of the penalty area, they will go down like they have been shot whether they have been tackled or not and refs will be mobbed by players demanding a penalty/red card/yellow card etc etc.

And I know people think I am soft for watching Rugby, but this just does not happen in Rugby. There is respect for the Ref and a lack of it in football, this is something that is ruining football.

Last edited:

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Dies Irae said:
I got absolutely hammered for suggesting Joe Cole is a cheating bastard....what about that dive in the England B game the other week.

He does it week in week out, what do people expect.

I am getting old and cinical to believe that this World Cup will be won by whichever team cheats the most.

If Robben, or Cole, or Messi, or Owen,or any one of a hundred any other players get within 10 yards of the penalty area, they will go down like they have been shot whether they have been tackled or not and refs will be mobbed by players demanding a penalty/red card/yellow card etc etc.

And I know people think I am soft for watching Rugby, but this just does not happen in Rugby. There is respect for the Ref and a lack of it in football, this is something that is ruining football.

Come off it Dave cheating is rife in Rugby! holding onto the ball, forward passing (this seems to be the norm these days) deliberately collapsing the scrum etc etc....

Fair enough they don't dive but what would be the point of that? Any professional sport will have rule benders and breakers. If a system isn't in place to eradicate it then you have to participate in it to compete.

Sad but true.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Lammy said:
I can't stand cheating as much as the next man but my attitude is changing. I used to think that if we can win fairly then I'd rather not win at all.

Until FIFA et al actually do something about it then if you don't do it we're not competing on a level playing field.

So in fact you can't stand as much as the next man as long as the next man is Christiano Ronaldo or Jurgen Klinsmann?

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Lammy said:
Come off it Dave cheating is rife in Rugby! holding onto the ball, ...
I think you'll find that you are allowed to hold onto the ball in rugby. :jester:

The penalty last night was justified because it was an illegal two footed challenge. If it had not been a friendly and Collina had been reffing, he would probably have sent the guy off for dangerous play.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
keaton said:
So in fact you can't stand as much as the next man as long as the next man is Christiano Ronaldo or Jurgen Klinsmann?

Put it this way I would much rather have Lineker use his hand on THAT HEADER against Argentina than have gone out due to Maradona cheating.

Maradona said that he could only have scored that wonder goal against England. Any other side would taken him out.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Gerrard's dive was very disappointing. He had one thought on his mind - to go for the penalty. If he'd have stayed on his feet, he was clean through and just had the keeper to beat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here