Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we done with loan players?

Are we done with loan players?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The most recent loan signing was Jack Wakely, last season.

I had to go and look him up as I had never heard of him :down:

Seems he played quite a few games for the U23s

I should have qualified the title as First Team players as it makes sense to take loans for the U23s as if they turn out well we could well sign them?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
It would have to be a very specific scenario for us to utilise the loan option. Our focus as a club is on player development so much more likely to use our own academy players rather than another clubs which just leaves experienced pros. If we find that we cannot bring in the player we want but a top side would lend us a certain starter we may take the plunge, someone like Jesse Lingaard who brings real quality and would make a difference but isn't getting game time at their parent club

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Seeing as we are completely broke and we have a broken misfiring squad .....

Surrrrrely it's time to swallow our pride and admit we need to use the loan market more?

Conor Gallagher at palace
Broja at Southampton
Gilmour at Norwich
Lingard at West ham last season

Just so many good examples of players that can improve squads in the short term.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Seeing as we are completely broke and we have a broken misfiring squad .....

Surrrrrely it's time to swallow our pride and admit we need to use the loan market more?

Conor Gallagher at palace
Broja at Southampton
Gilmour at Norwich
Lingard at West ham last season

Just so many good examples of players that can improve squads in the short term.

Yeh but... where's the continuity when you know that none of them are your player or ever will be? Provided the team is good enough to stay in the Premier League, it's money down the drain - as opposed to profit generated by developing players which can make the team stronger in the long term. Palace can't build around Gallagher for instance, and will have probably have less money to spend on the replacement - trapping them into a cycle of loanees.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yeh but... where's the continuity when you know that none of them are your player or ever will be? Provided the team is good enough to stay in the Premier League, it's money down the drain - as opposed to profit generated by developing players which can make the team stronger in the long term. Palace can't build around Gallagher for instance, and will have probably have less money to spend on the replacement - trapping them into a cycle of loanees.

Winning games gets you up the table which makes you more money and makes you more attractive to potential ticket purchasers and commercial partners.

Also we can't take out PL status for granted.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Winning games gets you up the table which makes you more money and makes you more attractive to potential ticket purchasers and commercial partners.

Also we can't take out PL status for granted.

A few places up the table doesn't make you anywhere near enough to buy even one decent Premier League player. Sponsorship unlikely to bridge that gap either and ticket sales barely register. What does bring in huge and meaningful amounts of money is buying cheap like White and Bissouma and selling large. Of course, we can 't take our PL status for granted and I don't think anyone is. We've got an owner who knows all about calculated gambles and is in it for the long term. A strategy - which many PL clubs lack.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
A few places up the table doesn't make you anywhere near enough to buy even one decent Premier League player. Sponsorship unlikely to bridge that gap either and ticket sales barely register. What does bring in huge and meaningful amounts of money is buying cheap like White and Bissouma and selling large. Of course, we can 't take our PL status for granted and I don't think anyone is. We've got an owner who knows all about calculated gambles and is in it for the long term. A strategy - which many PL clubs lack.

Mate, we're talking about loans.

Yes, there will be a fee and some wages, but there are millions payable per place which will at least offset the cost. Comparable clubs, Newcastle, Southampton, West Ham, Palace, do this successfully.

The way I'd look at it, we have obvious shortages in our squad for which a solution may present itself either next season or the one after, (Zeqiri, Sima, Mitoma, maybe Connolly might progress, Ferguson may break through young). What we need is someone to buy us this time to get someone through, or finally land one of our long term targets

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
mooy was a let down, played really well until we bought himand then suddenly aged 30 years

Bit unfair. Didn’t play many games but looked very good in some.

Also scored one of the best goals I’ve ever seen at Brighton from a Trossard pass (don’t remember which game).

I’d have him back in a heartbeat if I thought he could do that here again…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There are loans and loans though. Taking a young player on loan to develop hom for somebody else, no thank you - but a senior player out of favour at a big club, half a season paying only a part of his wages to put him in the shop window so the parent club can get a fee for him might be a more viable option - and no, I'm not suggesting Aubameyang! Too much of a nob (fails the no-dickheads policy by a mile) and I suspect Arsenal would want us to pay far too high a portion of his wages.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
There are loans and loans though. Taking a young player on loan to develop hom for somebody else, no thank you - but a senior player out of favour at a big club, half a season paying only a part of his wages to put him in the shop window so the parent club can get a fee for him moght be a more viable option - and no, I'm not suggesting Aubameyang! Too much of a nob (fails the no-dickheads policy by a mile) and I suspect Arsenal would want us to pay far too high a portion of his wages.
Are you really saying you wouldn't take broja ?

I don't believe you. I just wanna be entertained. I just wanna see us score some goals. Most fans would take anything at this point I'm sure.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Currently we are trapped in a circle of expensive punts as forwards of which one has delivered and we have decent sicknote who can’t contribute enough.

I’d take a loanee who has some history as a PL player over another 10 million plus punt with a young foreigner with no PL experience as January draws closer seeing as goals have dried up from everyone except Maupay. We have no idea when he’ll be back either.

I suggest it’s almost pigheaded if we are refusing to look at loanee forwards given now toothless we are now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Are you really saying you wouldn't take broja ?

I don't believe you. I just wanna be entertained. I just wanna see us score some goals. Most fans would take anything at this point I'm sure.
No, I'm saying I wouldn't take Aubameyang.

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Hopefully we have another look at this policy next season if we are not gonna splash the cash again.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Hopefully we have another look at this policy next season if we are not gonna splash the cash again.

We HAVE splashed the cash!

We buy players and them and then loan them out to Stoke, Belguim and other far flung places! Thats why things have gone tits-up

We also signed Caicedo,A current Equador international who in 12 months has yet to make his league debut

The club is a mess

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Indeed; I’d be more than happy to have had Gallagher for the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here