Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we about to ruin Lens' season?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
To be honest it wouldn't feel right to me but we have been left no option by Chelsea. We have to go for the candidate that we feel is the best, even if it is someone currently in a job. This is not our choice, we have been put in an impossible situation and possibly Lens, Mainz or Bodo Glimt will suffer which absolutely sucks imo.

No option – there are plenty of managers out there out of work at present, and coaches wanting to step up. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Of course we have a choice.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Bruno , to be pedantic, wasn't on the coaching staff until after Graham Potter was appointed. He's never worked under any other Head Coach other than Potter. So under this criteria - taking Lens equivalent of Bruno would be fine. ?

So I presume he is called something like Barry Braithwaite originally from Barrow, and he went to France to ply his trade and after his playting days were over he got his coaching badges, that would be perfect.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In answer to the OP's question - yes, it will in all likelihood ruin Lens season if we sign Haise and his team.

Furthermore, it will probably piss off the majority of French football fans who will be enjoying PSG actually having some competition.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its dog eat dog. We've just been royally shafted by Chelsea, I have absolutely no qualms if we do the same to another club.

"It is what it is" as someone once said with a nonchalant shrug, every other week.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Speaking as someone who has watched with great amusement as many fans on social media and on NSC have wet themselves for a whole week because nasty Chelsea stole (paid a huge sum for) our manager, I now look forward to watching those same fans contort scenarios and logic to justify why us doing the same thing is juuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuust fine.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Frank Haise now evens favourite with the bookies.

I know a Lens fan who is incandescent. We can't exactly complain about being shafted by Chelsea if we do the same to Lens, can we?
Well the alternative is to confine ourselves to out of work managers and limit our choice, maybe resulting in a second rater until we sack them, and then go for another out of work one from the limited choice. Not a fan of that, myself.

Last edited:

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Maybe, it will be a little bit easier for them though in that at least their manager will not be turning up soon in the away technical area, instructing his new team of top quality players, from a club you have never beaten, as to how best destroy the team of former players he knows inside out.

I don't think enough has been made of this. The fact that they took the manager and backroom staff of a rival team in the same division - there should definitely be some rule about doing that mid-season.

Imagine if Ten Hag had continued to lose games and United sacked him and replaced him with Klopp?! There'd be uproar.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think this as well. But this should be a worldwide thing.

To say that the quality of the PL and Brighton would get worse is an understatement.

But the ever increasing concentration of talent in the hands of a few super clubs, is a wholly bad thing for football, unless you've been seduced by the fantasy league style, Messi, Neymar and Mbappe up front stuff. Leagues all around Europe show you that as soon as the product is uncompetitive, people turn off. To me, the idea that EPL club v some provincial club in Ivory Coast is likely a 50/50 match, to me is a great thing. You want to be better? Bagging a petro state chairman won't help you, you have to coach local youngsters more.

I have no plan for preventing player movement or plugging the numerous glaring holes in the plan as yet though

I'm not sure as Albion fans we should ever agree to the local player thing bearing in mind the concentration of young talent that comes out of South London!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Its dog eat dog. We've just been royally shafted by Chelsea, I have absolutely no qualms if we do the same to another club.

"It is what it is" as someone once said with a nonchalant shrug, every other week.

You've posted in the wrong thread ('What current phrases do you hate')

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
If you think that we need to look at Barbers behaviour given before any of this he has been one of the most engaged with Boehly, sat next to him at the dinner he held etc

But I think it’s all just unfortunate rather than any conspiracy or insider job

You are probably right.

It does strike me as odd though that Chelsea sacked Tuchel and had Potter announced within a day or so. We have a "succession plan" in place for when any staff leave and yet we haven't appointed anybody a week later.

The undue haste with which Potter was appointed at Chelsea following Tuchel's sacking makes me think that "something" must have happened before Tuchel had been dismissed. It does whiff a bit.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
You are probably right.

It does strike me as odd though that Chelsea sacked Tuchel and had Potter announced within a day or so. We have a "succession plan" in place for when any staff leave and yet we haven't appointed anybody a week later.

The undue haste with which Potter was appointed at Chelsea following Tuchel's sacking makes me think that "something" must have happened before Tuchel had been dismissed. It does whiff a bit.

They definitely had him lined up according to avid Chelsea mate (told me this before the news). Whether there was any 'tapping up' is a different matter.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You are probably right.

Combination of Cucurella references, Potter already having good stock for being a manager and a known release clause all probably helped.

I do agree that I’m surprised it was all signed & sealed over a dinner with Potter. Potter strikes me as the type to want to know a lot about plans, infrastructure etc and he obviously didn’t have to do much thinking to take it

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You've posted in the wrong thread ('What current phrases do you hate')

I forget to mention. "It is what it is", then a suck of the teeth, in the manner of a Kwik Fit mechanic folding his arms, about to give you a guesstimate on how much it will take to replace your gearbox.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Combination of Cucurella references, Potter already having good stock for being a manager and a known release clause all probably helped.

I do agree that I’m surprised it was all signed & sealed over a dinner with Potter. Potter strikes me as the type to want to know a lot about plans, infrastructure etc and he obviously didn’t have to do much thinking to take it

A promise of £60 million quid probably does that to you.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A promise of £60 million quid probably does that to you.

I personally don’t believe they would have blinded Potter & all his coaching team completely.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
You are probably right.

A succession plan doesn't necessarily mean a nailed on successor that's 'oven ready' (particularly as things happened so quickly) - it means we already had a range of identified, potentially suitable candidates, so we jump to an immediate shortlist rather than starting from scratch (also likely one or two names emerged that we hadn't necessarily thought too much about). Difference with Potter's appointment at Chelsea is that there wasn't any kind of selection process - they had him lined up simply went after him and the job was his to turn down. We're in a position of being able to assess each of the shortlisted candidates which will take a bit of time. I suspect once Tony decides, the movement will be rapid.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
You are probably right.

It's possible, but I'd also say that Chelsea sacking TT was a very impulsive move and probably done with the confidence/arrogance that they would get their man if they showed him the money.

As for us taking our time to implement the succession plan, we have the unexpected fortune of having a 3 week break so may as well take advantage and make sure that the correct decision is made.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I'm not convinced that happened tbh. Angry enough about Bruno/Roberts going.

If you think that we need to look at Barbers behaviour given before any of this he has been one of the most engaged with Boehly, sat next to him at the dinner he held etc

But I think it’s all just unfortunate rather than any conspiracy or insider job

Bonely was directly in touch with Potter over Cucu. Do you believe that it never ever entered the conversation like 'would you ever think about moving to Chelsea?' or 'if the Chelsea manager position became free, would you be interested in the vacancy?'

No real recriminations to them both, but I don't believe that that did not happen. Bonely is one of those guys that go for things full on, can't see him restraining himself when he's got his target on the phone. And look how long it's taking us to get a replacement lined up.

But it's all water under the bridge now and we now possibly looking to wreak the same on another club. Shit rolls downhill as my old boss would say.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I came on this thread to escape the Potter crap and read about a potential manager not ex- manager. You lot have decided to bring it back to my doorstep/inbox and infest this thread can we leave Potter on the other 50 threads, thanks.

edit, I don't care about Potter he is nothing to do with any team i support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here