Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we a Championship team playing in the Premier League?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are two leagues in one. The reality is that in terms of quality you have the top six, (and arguably Man City are in their own league) and then you have the rest who are only marginally better than the top six in the championship.

It would be better if the top six went into some kind of European league and the rest of us got on with our own league. Provided you could still be promoted into the European league I would be happier with that.

The current set up just feels like we are here to make the numbers up and as a result the quality of non top 6 football suffers as a result.

Maybe we could do the same over Brexit. London can stay in Europe and all the shitter poorer bits can operate at a lower level. Brilliant. :facepalm:

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Last season I considered Newcastle to be a premier league side playing in the championship and we did incredibly to get near to them. They are better than last season and we are of similar ability to them now

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think we have some Premier League quality but we're playing with a handbrake. Pröpper should be higher up the pitch, he can affect the game more than our tactics allow and our wingers aren't producing anything like enough. Suttner showed in the Watford game the difference between solid Championship players (Bong) and Premier League players - Premier League players are able to do all aspects of the game. Attack and defend with quality and at pace.

It's a fair criticism that we're a Championship team in the Premier League all the time we've got sub-Premier League standard players. We're not far short though, not at all.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I believe the main problem we have is our better ball players are all defenders/defensive midfielders only had to look at the neat triangular passing yesterday, all very good and impressive no where near their area though. The same passing movement is done by the good teams further up field, unfortunately our front players aren't good at it.

Our defensive/defensive midfielders are PL the rest Championship

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
There are two leagues in one. The reality is that in terms of quality you have the top six, (and arguably Man City are in their own league) and then you have the rest who are only marginally better than the top six in the championship.

It would be better if the top six went into some kind of European league and the rest of us got on with our own league. Provided you could still be promoted into the European league I would be happier with that.

The current set up just feels like we are here to make the numbers up and as a result the quality of non top 6 football suffers as a result.

This, sort of. I don't agree with the last line though. My perspective is that we get to play the 'uber' teams in the PL and an exceptional season sees us looking at Europe ( maybe not this season!). If we are always looking to compete against the top six when we play them, then our quality of football can only get better as we learn and acquire more experience for our players and bring in PL players over the coming seasons. A super 'Euro' league may happen but I don't think it would be good for English football and would detach a lot of fan bases as well. Thats another thread I s'pose.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
We're not Championship quality. We're "bottom bit of the Premier League" quality. Both Newcastle and us would beat most Championship sides easily. The points gap at the bottom suggests our quality level is on a par with Palace, Southampton, Stoke, West Ham and slightly above West Brom and Swansea, to name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
Though both sides may have made additions during the summer, it is quite obvious that the nucleus of both teams still remain that of a Championship XI. There was mistake after mistake from both teams, and neither really grasped hold of the initiative throughout.

Neither side has a proven top-flight finisher in their ranks, neither has a player who offers real ingenuity and invention, and neither has a dominant central-midfielder.

It's difficult to argue with the bit about the nucleus of our team (although some here clearly will) - however, we proved last season that we were better than pretty much all of the Championship teams.
So, if we are too good for the Championship, but 'not good enough for the Premier League' what is the answer? Refuse promotion and stay in the Championship until someone (who?) decides we are 'good enough' for the PL?
Just a pointless bit of poor journalism, in my view....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The current Wolves, Derby, Cardiff and BristolC teams IMO would compete with the likes of Swansea and WBA, especially with a couple of good signings.

Almost one league, spread over two divisions.

Then the PL top 6 are light years ahead, due to money acquiring better players.

In between is a mix of the money-poorly-spent (Everton, West Ham and CP), brilliant management (Burnley) and clubs at the right level for their very significant spends (Leicester and Watford).

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
We've earned the right to play in the PL and are therefore a PL team.

Yes the top 6 are far better the remaining 14, and to get anywhere close would probably take about £1,000,000,000 if you were to go out and buy a ready made top 6 squad. We can take small steps in each transfer window and improve the quality of the squad, so that we become an established PL team

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
No. We're 12th in the Premier League for crying out loud.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Neither side has a proven top-flight finisher in their ranks, neither has a player who offers real ingenuity and invention, and neither has a dominant central-midfielder.

Lazy, too simplistic writing.

In the PL table we’re surrounded by teams who tick both his boxes with players such as Mooy, Mounie, Bony, Cabaye, Abraham, Ayew, Shaquiri, Hernandez, Benteke, Arter, Defoe and yet those clubs are in the same boat as us.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Lazy, too simplistic writing.

In the PL table we’re surrounded by teams who tick both his boxes with players such as Mooy, Mounie, Bony, Cabaye, Abraham, Ayew, Shaquiri, Benteke, Arter, Defoe and yet those clubs are in the same boat.

Mounie? Benteke? Abraham? I'm sorry but none of those are particularly good players at this point in time. Benteke in the past, Abraham maybe in the future, Mounie I doubt ever

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Mounie? Benteke? Abraham? I'm sorry but none of those are particularly good players at this point in time. Benteke in the past, Abraham maybe in the future, Mounie I doubt ever

At this point in time. Benteke scored 15 PL goals to keep them up last season. £32m fee ... sums Brighton could only dream of.

Abraham - a 1,000 rather excited nsc posts about the bloke in the summer, he was seen as the new messiah. Perhaps we’ll see his talent now Clement has gone.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
For me there are 13/14 clubs in the 1st division, and 6/7 greedy conglomerate shithouses who would sell what little remains of their souls to get increasingly larger shares of the money-driven circus they have created.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm sure we will be fine for some time to come. From a fan's perspective, I hate the premiership and would prefer to be back in the Championship. Even the hope that we'd get to see more games on TV hasn't really come to light. But then I prefer Withdean to Amex so what do I know.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Over halfway through our first season with what is largely a Championship team a few tired legs our talent pool is a little shallow to allow resting of players which is needed at this levels other midfielder and striker are required but getting Kayal back is like a new signing

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
No. The side we have now would run away with the championship. Anyone saying look at Newcastle, Brighton and Huddersfield to see there is no different between PL and Championship spectacularly missed the point that none of us are playing with a comparable side to last year (outside of maybe Newcastle who kept the vast majority of a PL squad from the season before)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here