Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are there people in your office who...

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Yes, we have one of these at work - my patience with her is worn almost to snapping point.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
...and no matter that they aren't a team player, and fit work around their home life, like it's a hobby.....if you aren't fully prepared to bend over backward to accommodate their every need, you find yourself in the firing line....:flameboun

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
...and no matter that they aren't a team player, and fit work around their home life, like it's a hobby.....if you aren't fully prepared to bend over backward to accommodate their every need, you find yourself in the firing line....:flameboun
Are you really sure you're not bitter?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The situation I witness at work is that: the slow, useless, dopey person, in an allegedly senior position (on modest pay but far more than he deserves, allocated a few perks and given a job title he thinks give kudos amongst his associates), has bizarrely won in a way simply because he's kept his position, decade after decade.

But christ he pays a price! He receives near daily verbal attacks from the owner-manager, always in front of others of any rank, for effect, attacking his personal and many business inadequacies, customer's complaints and the loss of them through his incompetence, and technical mistakes in his work. He bounces back, but deep down working life with the cutting putdowns is no way to live.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Get away with absolutely anything....literally all their mistakes however HUGE either go completely unnoticed by your boss, swept under the carpet or laughed off. Talk to people like shit, if they can be bothered at all....but this is merely seen as 'their quirky little way'.

They are also the ones that get paid more than you, probably & never get any reprimand.....

....and then manage to get a promotion.

I'm not bitter, I keep coming up against this. It's just an observation.

Nope. Recruitment industry: if you're no good- fired. If you're really good, - paid shit loads. Nice and simple. Avoids the above situation completely.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Nope. Recruitment industry: if you're no good- fired. If you're really good, - paid shit loads. Nice and simple. Avoids the above situation completely.

Estate agency always looks like it's similar. Poor basic wages, but the sky's the limit, especially with SE England property prices and therefore commission.

But both sectors vulnerable to recessions as both house sales and recruiting grind to a halt.

Jan 30, 2008
Estate agency always looks like it's similar. Poor basic wages, but the sky's the limit, especially with SE England property prices and therefore commission.

But both sectors vulnerable to recessions as both house sales and recruiting grind to a halt.
Normally young hipsters who think they're something but in reality they're not:rolleyes:
regards
DR

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London

That depends on what industry you recruit in. House sales always crash in recessions, recruitment isn't necessarily affected in some markets.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
What skills does one need to decide who will be best for a role they have never done?

The skill of convincing the client that the candidate is the best person for the role, coupled with the skill of convincing the candidate that the role is perfect for them. In other words, sales skills.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Love the assumption everyone works in a office

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That depends on what industry you recruit in. House sales always crash in recessions, recruitment isn't necessarily affected in some markets.

In recessions, in the professions I've come across, recruitment consultants got more pushy in recessions, as they competed for a cut of a very decreasing cake. For example, during the 2008 to 2012 recession, law, accountancy, finance, City, banking sectors contracted, VERY MUCH INCLUDING BRIGHTON AND CENTRAL LONDON/CITY, with employers going bust or holding onto to what they had. The temps side did give some steady recruitment income. I personally know quite a few recruitment consultancies that threw in the towel in that period, early retiring etc.

But overall, I agree that there's fantastic money to be made from recruitment.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
In recessions, in the professions I've come across, recruitment consultants got more pushy in recessions, as they competed for a cut of a very decreasing cake. For example, during the 2008 to 2012 recession, law, accountancy, finance, City, banking sectors contracted, VERY MUCH INCLUDING BRIGHTON AND CENTRAL LONDON/CITY, with employers going bust or holding onto to what they had. The temps side did give some steady recruitment income. I personally know quite a few recruitment consultancies that threw in the towel in that period, early retiring etc.

But overall, I agree that there's fantastic money to be made from recruitment.

I've worked in both Social Care and Pharma, neither were really affected too badly by the recession. But I have friends who worked the construction market, who worked for companies that went from 50 consultants to 2 pretty much overnight. Not a very nice place to be.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I am nice to my boss, they are nice to me. I am nice to my assistant, they are nice to me. My immediate situation is all nice.

However, in the company I work in, there's all to much of what I describe happening around me. People who are just little weasels who talk absolute bollocks constantly, in the expense of those who actually put a good days work in, consistently for no reward.

The mistake you're making is assuming that life is fair and that merit is rewarded. If you have spent any time studying the fortunes of us in relation to Crystal Palace you will know this is not the case.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Unfortunately, it's all about if your face fits. Luckily mine does and my boss thinks the sun shines from my rear end(it does, but I'm good at what I do). Also unfortunately, a work colleague of mine prefers to spend their time procrastinating, being obnoxious and hiding behind their religious belief. Please don't think I'm being racist, I'm just not very good with lazy 'tards who can't do their job, leaves their work area in a shit state and seems to have a hold over management that leaves them untouchable

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here