Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Are there any vegans on here ?

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
No doubt a pescatarian diet has a lower impact than an omnivorous one.
Bottom trawling alone releases as much CO2 annually as the entire airline industry so perhaps not.

Also something like 40% of the plastic in the Pacific garbage patch is fishing nets.

It's not a great industry whichever way you look at it, but I'm not going to tell people to stop eating it.

And to answer the original question, yes I'm vegan.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A well-done steak or over-cooked tuna are enough to turn anyone vegan.

Years ago, I worked in a pub kitchen and the only thing that saddened me more than having to cremate steaks for philistines was the time a woman sent back her tuna as it wasn't cooked enough :cry:
You’re a cook, the customer is paying, do as your told, btw I don’t like ‘cremated steak’ but if somone does and they are paying then I certainly wouldn’t judge!
The Bird burger restaurant I go to does not like to cook burgers well done. I was there with a spanish girl who asked for her burger well done. She was challenged and after some discussion backed down and went for medium. Their menu states:

Rare means RARE. A very red center that is still raw. Only the outside is cooked.

Medium Rare means JUICY. A pinkish red center that has begun to cook. (highly recommended)

Medium is still PINK. The center is cooking. (recommended)

Medium Well The center has just lost all it’s pinkness and the juices are drying up.

Well Done Its burnt offering. You have destroyed a piece of nature and the Chef hates you.

Yummy

Attachments

• A189273A-EA0F-4190-A93D-E4A1D20FD97D.jpeg
    A189273A-EA0F-4190-A93D-E4A1D20FD97D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 38
  • B68A7BEE-BCB1-41EF-A130-1F68992AC3F4.jpeg
    B68A7BEE-BCB1-41EF-A130-1F68992AC3F4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
A decent balanced diet I think is the most sensible . Avoid fried food and anything processed like bacon etc. Red meat max of once a week , plenty of fruit and veg and oily fish .

Being vegan doesn’t make you healthy in my view as you are missing out in vital vitamins and minerals and I certainly won’t encourage a child to be vegan.
Plenty of studies that show a balanced vegan diet is fine for all stages of life.

Obviously there are some people who can't be due to a variety of factors.

The only thing my diet lacks is a bit of B12, which I take supplements for which are also hair gummies. 40% of the general population are B12 deficient though so it's not just a vegan issue.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Yes. Vitamin B12 is added to some alternatives to milk products, vegan spreads, nutritional yeast flakes, yeast extracts and breakfast cereals.

Most of which are UPFs though and best avoided. It's a bit of a minefield. Maybe fortified nutritional yeast is the way to go for a helthy vegan diet?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You’re a cook, the customer is paying, do as your told, btw I don’t like ‘cremated steak’ but if somone does and they are paying then I certainly wouldn’t judge!
On a related theme, I know a few cafes and brunch places which now refuse to deviate from their menu i.e. can I have that with blah blah taken off and replaced with blah blah. Oh, and a coffee shop which bans parents with babies/children.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Bottom trawling alone releases as much CO2 annually as the entire airline industry so perhaps not.

Also something like 40% of the plastic in the Pacific garbage patch is fishing nets.

It's not a great industry whichever way you look at it, but I'm not going to tell people to stop eating it.

And to answer the original question, yes I'm vegan.

Of course there are many issues with the fishing industry. But if you're eating meat as well as fish, your impact is going to be greater.

Of course, you can opt for seafood with a lower impact too. https://www.bbc.com/future/bespoke/...ple-shellfish-that-fights-climate-change.html

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
On a related theme, I know a few cafes and brunch places which now refuse to deviate from their menu i.e. can I have that with blah blah taken off and replaced with blah blah. Oh, and a coffee shop which bans parents with babies/children.
My other half doesn't like baked beans so when we ordered breakfasts in this cafe once we asked if hers could be done without baked beans. Waiter says "no, no substitutions". Fine, we're not asking for a substitution though. We just don't want one of the plates to have beans. "No, can't do that". What? You can't just...not...cook...the beans?

So I ended up with two helpings of beans :shrug:

Broadly speaking though, I do tend to agree with the no substitutions policies. Menus are agonised over and if something has been put into a meal it's there for a reason. But this place was a pretty standard greasy spoon, hardly Michelin fare.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My other half doesn't like baked beans so when we ordered breakfasts in this cafe once we asked if hers could be done without baked beans. Waiter says "no, no substitutions". Fine, we're not asking for a substitution though. We just don't want one of the plates to have beans. "No, can't do that". What? You can't just...not...cook...the beans?

So I ended up with two helpings of beans :shrug:

Broadly speaking though, I do tend to agree with the no substitutions policies. Menus are agonised over and if something has been put into a meal it's there for a reason. But this place was a pretty standard greasy spoon, hardly Michelin fare.
I gnerally support the move as well. I spoke to the manager of one brunch place and she said it was becoming a real pain, slowed things up, can lead to error (plus the associated issues of one dish being served and another having to be cooked from scratch) and was more down to unadventurous punters than those who have specific dietry needs. A typical scenario is a customer will ask about an ingredient they have not heard of, say harissa, and still feeling uncomfortable after the explanation ask for it to be removed. The hospitality sector is brutal these days and on an ecominic basis they cannot cater for everyone's whims.

It's not helped by the place being near a large chain hotel so they get clientel who would not typically frequent this place asking about the seemingly exotic ingredients. This said they do cater heavily for vegarians and vegans.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I have to say I have learnt a lot from this thread.
and I’m happy for anyone to eat how they want!

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
I gnerally support the move as well. I spoke to the manager of one brunch place and she said it was becoming a real pain, slowed things up, can lead to error (plus the associated issues of one dish being served and another having to be cooked from scratch) and was more down to unadventurous punters than those who have specific dietry needs. A typical scenario is a customer will ask about an ingredient they have not heard of, say harissa, and still feeling uncomfortable after the explanation ask for it to be removed. The hospitality sector is brutal these days and on an ecominic basis they cannot cater for everyone's whims.

It's not helped by the place being near a large chain hotel so they get clientel who would not typically frequent this place asking about the seemingly exotic ingredients. This said they do cater heavily for vegarians and vegans.
Surely that depends what the request is? Obviously if harissa is an ingredient in one of those dishes beloved by Masterchef where the ingredients are all piled together, then it's not going to be practical to leave it out. But if it's just a matter of not putting beans onto a plate, that shouldn't be hard to do. (If the electric system they use for ordering can't cope, then perhaps they could go back to pencil and paper.)

(My local cafe does bacon, sausage, egg, tomato, mushrooms, beans, tea/coffee, bread/toast/fried bread, and substitutions work just fine. And all for £4.50. They haven't heard of harissa - and I'm not sure they've heard of vegans either! ;))

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely that depends what the request is? Obviously if harissa is an ingredient in one of those dishes beloved by Masterchef where the ingredients are all piled together, then it's not going to be practical to leave it out. But if it's just a matter of not putting beans onto a plate, that shouldn't be hard to do. (If the electric system they use for ordering can't cope, then perhaps they could go back to pencil and paper.)

(My local cafe does bacon, sausage, egg, tomato, mushrooms, beans, tea/coffee, bread/toast/fried bread, and substitutions work just fine. And all for £4.50. They haven't heard of harissa - and I'm not sure they've heard of vegans either! ;))
The impression I got it might only seem like a small thing to you and I, but if multiple people are asking for stuff to be taken off, and possibly a replacement item added/price adjustment etc, it becomes time consuming. It also increases the risk of the kitchen making an error with the subsequent fall-out of a dish having to go back to the kitchen with the disgruntled punter waiting whilst others sit and eat. They make great dishes and use great ingredients which are integral to the dish even if some can be taken out.

I understand requests like this have been increasing over the years and, to a degree, if people are dismantling and reconstructing their dishes it makes a mockery of going somewhere because you like the food. Maybe do some homework before you go, most menus are online these days.

Which reminds me. I went to a gastropub a couple of years or so ago with the missues and a vegetarian friend asked if he could join. The restauant is a meat focussed, and the name Salt and Bone is a give-away. He'd been before. They have a veggie-burger and some of the starter/small plates which are veggie. Afterwards he said they should have more options for him to choose from. We then had a 'debate' about why should they, clue-is-in-the-name, entitlement, it's their restaurant they can sell what they want, there's room for all types of restaurants etc. I finished off by suggesting his comment was akin to me joining him at a vegetarian restuatant and complaining they do not sell steak. Expectations and entitlement can be quite skewed at times.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I should hope so. Tomato on but no black pudding? What sort of backwards place do you live in? :moo:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here