Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are there any players that might we lose that we want to keep?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Dunk to a just outside the top six team like Everton/Leicester seems the biggest risk to me. Gross is too slow to attract a bigger club however good he is on the ball. I don't see anyone else attracting clubs that are bigger than us and therefore why would we sell/why would they leave if it is a sideways move?

The only exception may be Knockaert if club/player decide its time to split.

He's an idiot if he thinks that would improve his chances of a call-up, and we'd be stupid to sell him there.

My albion tinted specs are off when I say he is one of the most composed centre halves in this division and a fantastic ball playing defender. A top 6 club would be absolutely mad not to be looking at him and that's where we will inevitably lose him.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
He's an idiot if he thinks that would improve his chances of a call-up, and we'd be stupid to sell him there.

My albion tinted specs are off when I say he is one of the most composed centre halves in this division and a fantastic ball playing defender. A top 6 club would be absolutely mad not to be looking at him and that's where we will inevitably lose him.

I think the reality is that Everton are viewed as a bigger club than us and if he moved there and performed it would enhance his England chances. I'd clearly rather he stayed with us but the risk (the purpose of this thread) is clearly there.

I'd also suggest that if the right offer came in for Duffy and we have lined up a better, younger replacement, we might see him go to a bottom half team.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Are you serious? Have you seen Pascals stats?

Yes thanks. I've also watched him play.

I'm questioning what level of club he could go to. Considering we are lower mid table, do you think we'd sell to a Leicester? Doubtful. Could he get into a top 6 side? No.

He may go somewhere for more money, but he's just signed a contract with us this season so...

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Probably this, though not to a top 6 club, I would think, so if things are looking promising for next season, i.e. we can push on a little, then they might rather want to stay.

True, but if a Leicester, Everton or west Ham come along with 30 million and offer him 75k a week he will want to go I am sure

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey I've just had a scary thought.

Everybody is assuming lil ol Brighton's players would only attract interest from other Premier League teams.
Our club is no longer in that very small pond.

What about a top 6 side from Spain, Italy or Germany?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Albion tinted glasses I'm afraid.

He is very, very slow. He is so poor at heading, most of the time he performs a half-hearted jump just for the sake of it, or doesn't even bother at all. He is still quite lightweight and gets brushed aside often. There are also quite a few games where he has been completely anonymous which can't have gone unnoticed.

He does obviously have some exceptional traits, such as set piece delivery, ground covered and distribution but the caveats above will stop interest from "top 6 clubs". He could obviously get offered 100k a week at some shitfest like West Ham though.

I think the point about Albion-tinted glasses is well-made. Would any of our players apart from Dunk really improve any top-ten teams, who are the ones with the financial muscle to make TB an offer he couldn't refuse?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that the most likely would be Gross, Propper or Stephens as they all have the ability to step up. The rest including Dunk and Duffy would only be chased by a mid table team like Everton, Leicester which is where we want to be so I believe that we would compete on wages with those clubs to keep our players.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The Dunk thing makes me laugh a bit.

He's been one of our better performers this season but he isn't Maldini. He still has too many mistakes in his locker to be an England regular IMO.

The defenders ahead of him for England is about right and nothing to do with Southgate being Palace or other such bollocks I recently heard on an Albion podcast.

I reckon £20m + would see him go.

A club the size of Everton would enhance his chances of being capped further.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Krul? Okay, not a first team player but his contract is up at the end of the season and he probably won't be happy being our number 2 goalkeeper long term. Important that we have a goal keeper that can push Ryan to maintain his good form and can cover if the worse happens. Might be difficult to find one of comparable standard who is also 'homegrown'.... and before anyone mentions Walton I'd much prefer him to be on loan with Wigan next season in the Championship and getting a good amount of game time.

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
I suspect Dunk has a figure in his contract that has to be matched.....I also suspect it will be a lot less than 40 Million. I wouldn't want Ben White to slip through our fingers .

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Blimey I've just had a scary thought.

Everybody is assuming lil ol Brighton's players would only attract interest from other Premier League teams.
Our club is no longer in that very small pond.

What about a top 6 side from Spain, Italy or Germany?

*cough* salaries *cough*. Spain and Italy have 3-4 clubs each who would pay more than the 45K a week our best boys are aready on. None of these clubs would look at our players. As for the Germans....the weather, the language, and the fact the place is full of germans are all likely negative points.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Dunk thing makes me laugh a bit.

He's been one of our better performers this season but he isn't Maldini. He still has too many mistakes in his locker to be an England regular IMO.

The defenders ahead of him for England is about right and nothing to do with Southgate being Palace or other such bollocks I recently heard on an Albion podcast.

I reckon £20m + would see him go.

A club the size of Everton would enhance his chances of being capped further.

Agree with this, but it's sacrilege to say that. Maguire for example has everything, even able to stroll forward for England to effect and he cost just £17m last summer.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Albion tinted glasses I'm afraid.

He is very, very slow. He is so poor at heading, most of the time he performs a half-hearted jump just for the sake of it, or doesn't even bother at all. He is still quite lightweight and gets brushed aside often. There are also quite a few games where he has been completely anonymous which can't have gone unnoticed.

He does obviously have some exceptional traits, such as set piece delivery, ground covered and distribution but the caveats above will stop interest from "top 6 clubs". He could obviously get offered 100k a week at some shitfest like West Ham though.

Everything you say I wouldn't disagree with but the same could be said of Shaquiri at Stoke and there are many clubs all around Europe already queuing up to take him off Stoke City's hands should they go down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here